Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use cellular ipad(mini) as hotspot?

Options
  • 04-01-2014 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

There's an app called MyWi available after jail breaking to allow tethering from iPad.

My question is, if I don't want to jailbreak, how can I use the iPad as hotspot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Don't think you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Fairly certain you can't with the iPad, tethering is iphone only I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/ultrafast-wireless/
    Use iPad mini as a personal hotspot.

Where supported by the local carrier, iPad mini can use its cellular connection to create a local hotspot for other devices. And the long battery life of iPad mini helps you stay connected for extended periods. So if you’re at the park with friends or camping with family, the cellular connection from iPad mini can keep everyone connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Yep, you definitely can. If the carrier supports it (Three do) then tethering is free and the iPad or iPad mini can be used as a hotspot.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Dan82

yes as above all iPads can it just depends if your network lets you or not, always ask a network to confirm first and you would nearly want it in writing from them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Zcott wrote: »
    Yep, you definitely can. If the carrier supports it (Three do) then tethering is free and the iPad or iPad mini can be used as a hotspot.

Is that a new thing with Three? I asked before and was told they didn't support it-although that was quite a while ago admittedly.

I'm far from an expert but I am in the market for an iPad and want to know whether to go for the full size or the Mini with cellular (I'm with Three)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I don't think it's a new thing because it's essentially a broadband SIM you're getting, and that has to support tethering because that's how broadband SIMs work.

As far as iPads are concerned, I'm all for the big one :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Zcott wrote: »
    As far as iPads are concerned, I'm all for the big one :-)

€€€€€€€€€€€€€€ :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

very little in the difference. my advice is go to Compu B and hold both the iPad air and iPad mini with retina display in one hand.

then and only then make your mind up, they're identical* bar the physical screen size.

* actually little lie, the iPad mini with retina is under-clocked by 5-10%~ due to the thermal structure of the iPad mini being different (due to the decreased physical size).

Advertisement