Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial Rates in City to drop by 20%

Options
  • 04-01-2014 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

some good news for businesses in the city...I wonder how the doom-mongers will deal with this??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

some good news for businesses in the city...I wonder how the doom-mongers will deal with this??

Do you have a source for this info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

The doom-mongers who you hate for pointing out the FG discrimination against Waterford City? Funny - I remember a certain B. Ahearne uttering those very same words.

Yes it's welcome but we have an awful long way to go to be treated equally with our peer cities outside Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

7upfree wrote: »
    The doom-mongers who you hate for pointing out the FG discrimination against Waterford City? Funny - I remember a certain B. Ahearne uttering those very same words.

Yes it's welcome but we have an awful long way to go to be treated equally with our peer cities outside Dublin.

when did Bertie Ahern reduce the rates in Waterford city by 20%?? That's a new one to me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

geeksauce wrote: »
    Do you have a source for this info

So no source then

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭space2ground1

This whole forum is so pickled with pro FG / Disagree and you're a doom monger that it's hard to distinguish good news from propaganda.

This is good news though. Would like to see a link. Not nearly as good as the news the other cities get on a daily basis though. We're so far behind its a joke.

• Advertisement

Not nearly as good as the news the other cities get on a daily basis though. We're so far behind its a joke.

The main problem. And some refuse to accept it or admit it exists.

Smiley - a quick question. Is that a 20% reduction on the old prices - or the hare-brained ones they're introducing? If it's the latter then it's a non-event really.

Some small city centre businesses have seen increased demands of 50% or more, while MNCs on the estate have seen a reduction.

when did Bertie Ahern reduce the rates in Waterford city by 20%?? That's a new one to me!!

Ah, Smiley. Nice try. You know exactly what I'm getting at. Those who warned of the crash were ridiculed. Those who point out the FG demolition job of Waterford City are suffering the same fate. But at least we spoke out. Unlike the sheep.

Approx 70% of businesses in Waterford saw a reduction in their rates following revaluation process...(of those that were facing a proposed increase, a large percentage appealed successfully to have them reduced)...this 20% reduction is A FURTHER REDUCTION and will see many businesses in Waterford see a large reduction in their rates bill...In fact this reduction is the largest ever seen in Waterford City...this was made possible due to the extra €5.4 million allocated by Phil Hogan this year to the newly-merged local authority....total amount allocated by the Minister is 30 odd million...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Fairly sure we have a thread about this already, OP. Was discussed before when Phil announced it IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Approx 70% of businesses in Waterford saw a reduction in their rates following revaluation process...(of those that were facing a proposed increase, a large percentage appealed successfully to have them reduced)...this 20% reduction is A FURTHER REDUCTION and will see many businesses in Waterford see a large reduction in their rates bill...In fact this reduction is the largest ever seen in Waterford City...this was made possible due to the extra €5.4 million allocated by Phil Hogan this year to the newly-merged local authority....total amount allocated by the Minister is 30 odd million...

When limerick announced their reduction it was mentioned that they were the cheapest city to do business is after the reduction. Does this now mean that we are?

• Advertisement

Approx 70% of businesses in Waterford saw a reduction in their rates following revaluation process...(of those that were facing a proposed increase, a large percentage appealed successfully to have them reduced)...this 20% reduction is A FURTHER REDUCTION and will see many businesses in Waterford see a large reduction in their rates bill

Ah grand. So it IS a reduction on the ridiculously high rates which had been proposed. So a non-event in any instance. Amazing how these things are spun really.

its a reduction on a reduction for 70% of the businesses in Waterford city...for the remaining 30% it means that the proposed increase is not going to be as severe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Of the original list I saw (approx. 15 - 20 businesses) maybe 1 or 2 were seeing a reduction. The rest were all increases including 1 or 2 of over 100% in some cases. I'm sure those people will be delighted their only paying 80% extra instead of 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

There's going to be an INCREASE on struggling businesses during a recession?
    Who's idea is this madness?

There's going to be an INCREASE on struggling businesses during a recession?
    Who's idea is this madness?

a rates revaluation took place in Waterford city and county....some sectors saw a proposed increase in their rates, with the vast majority actually seeing a decrease

of those that saw a proposed increase, many were successful in their appeal.

If a business is struggling (and many undoubtedly are), once they show their turnover etc is down, then the proposed increase doesn't go ahead.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Adyx wrote: »
    Of the original list I saw (approx. 15 - 20 businesses) maybe 1 or 2 were seeing a reduction. The rest were all increases including 1 or 2 of over 100% in some cases. I'm sure those people will be delighted their only paying 80% extra instead of 100%.

There are more than 15-20 businesses in Waterford. That's a tiny sample to suggest shows that a lot of businesses have seen a large increase in their rates. You would need to see the full list or at the very least a larger sample to be able to show whether the majority had an increase, a decrease and by what level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Sully wrote: »
    There are more than 15-20 businesses in Waterford. That's a tiny sample to suggest shows that a lot of businesses have seen a large increase in their rates. You would need to see the full list or at the very least a larger sample to be able to show whether the majority had an increase, a decrease and by what level.
    I never suggested it was a representative sample. I was simply posting what I had read.

I never suggested it was a representative sample. I was simply posting what I had read.

I assumed that was the case, but I wasn't 100% sure and neither was another poster who pointed same out (but the site crash saw them deleted!). Good to see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

heres a link to the current values of all waterford properties
    http://www.valoff.ie/reval_cycle/revaluation_cycle_search.asp

Let's see it then!!

• Advertisement

the figures are 70/30. 70% percent saw a DECREASE. 30% had a proposed increase. Many in the 30% category successfully appealed the proposed increase.

jennygirl wrote: »
    heres a link to the current values of all waterford properties
    http://www.valoff.ie/reval_cycle/revaluation_cycle_search.asp

You're clearly in the know and have close ties to local businesses. What's your view? Is the majority seeing a decrease or increase? Significant or otherwise?
    7upfree wrote: »
    Let's see it then!!
    the figures are 70/30. 70% percent saw a DECREASE. 30% had a proposed increase. Many in the 30% category successfully appealed the proposed increase.

As 7up said, with all due respect, people want to see cold hard facts. I'm sure you're figures are right or close on being right, but people these days want some form of proof. Which would be great if it was available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Mine dropped 33% in the city area, was advised that if I appealed would not get a further discount.
    that should read WILL drop as it doesnt kick in yet

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Mine dropped 33% in the city area, was advised that if I appealed would not get a further discount.
    that should read WILL drop as it doesnt kick in yet

and following this week's city council meeting, you will see a FURTHER reduction of 20%!!!

You're clearly in the know and have close ties to local businesses. What's your view? Is the majority seeing a decrease or increase? Significant or otherwise?.

most retail saw rises in rates, but we have lobbied local & national politicians and we are looking at a 20% decrease in commercial rates this year. Coupled with the revaluation of Waterford - a lot of business will come in on par with last year or a little below. Industrial estate will see up to a 40% decrease.
    The City Center Businesses who have not been revalued in over 10 years will see an increase

and following this week's city council meeting, you will see a FURTHER reduction of 20%!!!

So, if a person had received a 100% increase in his rates, let's say he gets a 53% reduction. It is still a 47% increase - at a time when businesses are on their knees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

T'was either cut Waterford city or raise Dungarvan's. I don't think any Fine Gael or Labour TD right now would have the balls to suggest the latter. And you could not blame them either for not suggesting it. We are one after the local elections, no more them and us when it comes to councils, and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

This whole forum is so pickled with pro FG / Disagree and you're a doom monger that it's hard to distinguish good news from propaganda.

This is good news though. Would like to see a link. Not nearly as good as the news the other cities get on a daily basis though. We're so far behind its a joke.

We only have ourselves to blame for that. If Big Phil did anything since coming into power was to abolish the councils and create just one. For too long there is a them and us mentality in Waterford.

Black Suir wrote: »
    We only have ourselves to blame for that. If Big Phil did anything since coming into power was to abolish the councils and create just one. For too long there is a them and us mentality in Waterford.

all we can do is continue to lobby local and national politicians and show them we mean business. This means doing our homework on what is available from the government & EU - and looking for a slice of the action. For too long politicians and members of council are sitting on their laurels, paying lip service to the public and not doing a REAL job. When Big Phil and the big boys come to the City, a small minority throw eggs and shout abuse. We need to show them how "grown up" we are and talk to them in their own (political) language, about what we want and what we deserve to get our fair slice of the cake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

GRAND OLD HEADLINE claptrap :pac: with the local elections coming up and all that in may.
    now lets read the fineprint how is all this good news being paid for wel the main contributer will be you through new water charges on private dwellings and no doubt a modest increase on the Lpt...

Advertisement