Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on plantign a filtration mound

• 04-01-2014 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Hi

I recently had a new waste treatment system installed at home including a large (8x8m 1m high) sand filter mound that has been covered with topsoil and we want to sow wild flowers or similar on it

The local soil is sticky clay like with poor porosity (hence the need for a sand filter). I don't know pH levels or anything, but, if it helps, blackthorn and montbretia grow well locally. We are in Co Clare on the south edge of the Burren (Corofin), beside a river.

Would love a wild flower mix to put on it, but not sure how well that would work around here

Any advice is welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

tombrown wrote: »
    Hi

I recently had a new waste treatment system installed at home including a large (8x8m 1m high) sand filter mound that has been covered with topsoil and we want to sow wild flowers or similar on it

The local soil is sticky clay like with poor porosity (hence the need for a sand filter). I don't know pH levels or anything, but, if it helps, blackthorn and montbretia grow well locally. We are in Co Clare on the south edge of the Burren (Corofin), beside a river.

Would love a wild flower mix to put on it, but not sure how well that would work around here

Any advice is welcome
    If filtering system has a membrane on top then don't plant any large rooted plants. A wild meadow would be ok. It needs crap soil to thrive as that restricts grass growth which in turn is competition for the flowers. At end of the season collect seeds from the plants and make up a mix of your own. .....
    If you have time!!!

Advertisement