Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talks to Schools on dangers of Addiction

Options
  • 04-01-2014 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi

I am wondering about the possibility of canvassing schools to see if theres any possibility of giving talks to students on the dangers of addiction, especially gambling addiction. I have my own considerable life experience and a certificate in addiction studies. I have no idea if theres a market for this, if they would permit it, what I could charge etc. Any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

While there is certainly a market for it I'm not so sure lots of schools have the budget for it, given all the cutbacks of late. Plus I would imagine that anti addiction NGOs might already be offering the same service to schools for free or very cheaply perhaps? Of course small NGOs cant cover every school in the country and there are lots out there but if they are doing addiction talks with teenagers for free or next to free then they might expect similar from you. I think what you really need to do is to have a ring around of headmasters and do some reseach into wether they tend to have budgets for these type of things or wether they priotise spending on things like school days out and sporting events.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

In my kids' school we do parent/pupil talks and they are usually free. The one's that we have to pay for, the max budget is about €60.00.

With travel to and from and a 60/90 minute presentation. I think there's only pocket money in this for you.

Advertisement