Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Tesco in limerick?

• 04-01-2014 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

I have just moved to limerick and I am a regular Tesco shopper.

Which would you say is the biggest and best Tesco in limerick?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,524 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The biggest is the Tesco Extra out on the Ennis Road.

The next two would be in the Crescent and Arthurs Quay - still a good size, but pretty similar to each other.

Roxboro is the 4th, and I think it's the smallest of the 4 (haven't been there for years, but that's my recollection)

Edit: there is a 5th (Tesco Express in Shannon Banks).

Find locations here: http://www.tesco.com/store-locator/ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I'd say Arthurs Quay is smaller than Roxboro. It also doesn't have a proper clothes section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The Coonagh one is largest but the one in the Crescent seems to carry more lines

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I find the crescent best for quality esp of fruit and veg, roxboro isnt great but handy to pop into. Coonagh is very spread out but tends to have lots of non food items.
    Personally if I was doing a big shop I'd use either the crescent or coonagh, you'd have more luck with stock than in the smaller ones.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Coonagh for me every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

If you're out of town, Abbeyfeale is pretty good, but Newcastlewest is too small. The Crescent is very good and has the added benefit of being surrounded by other 'useful' shops with free parking. Arthur's Quay is small and seens 'tired' - and no free parking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Dunnes beats Tesco everytime. The last few times I have been to Tesco (Crescent or Roxboro) they didnt have much stock on the shelves and/or didnt have what I was looking for.

Dunnes on Childers road is good as well as the one in Jetland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Coonagh or the crescent depending on where you are living and have access to a car.

Roxboro is very bad. Carries the least amount of lines of all of them I find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Mc Love wrote: »
    Dunnes beats Tesco everytime. The last few times I have been to Tesco (Crescent or Roxboro) they didnt have much stock on the shelves and/or didnt have what I was looking for.

Much agreed. Plus much more in the way of offers and value in Dunnes in my opinion. Tesco full of tricks messing around with the prices of many items.

I personally find Childers road Dunnes fantastic. Clean, modern and well stocked with all the offers nearly always on the shelves. Parking and convenience couldn't be too much easier there too.

If it must be Tesco though I'd be thinking the Crescent or Coonagh. Crescent always struck me as being quite good for fruit and veg to be fair. Roxborough is a bit of a disaster. Strikes me as dirty and grotty. Often see the staff f'ing at each other...wouldn't bother me in the slightest but I know some people take offence to that and it ain't very good for business in fairness:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Crescent is the best tesco in Limerick with Coonagh a close 2nd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭nino1

Just out of interest does anyone know which is busier in terms of footfall between Conagh and the Crescent?

nino1 wrote: »
    Just out of interest does anyone know which is busier in terms of footfall between Conagh and the Crescent?

The crescent by allot being in the busiest shopping area of Limerick.

nino1 wrote: »

Crescent is always much busier than Coonagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheBeast17

Don't go to the one in Coonagh if you are a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

Mc Love wrote: »

are you kidding me, you cant shop in Dunnes, too expensive, same with Tesco, cant beat Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

Often see the staff f'ing at each other...
    I dont belive that for a second, I dont think any company would put up with that

Beaver1 wrote: »
    I dont belive that for a second, I dont think any company would put up with that

They do.

are you kidding me, you cant shop in Dunnes, too expensive, same with Tesco, cant beat Aldi

I'll admit Aldi is better than Lidl but I find that sometimes there are things you cant pick up in Aldi/Lidl that you would in Dunnes/Tesco!

Love Aldi Jaffa Cakes and their Wine!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭cottager83

What time does tesco in the crescent stay open until?

6am to 12am.

Not sure about Sundays but I think it's the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Coonagh, it's usually quieter and better stocked than the one in the Crescent, that depends on the time you go though I usually shop late in the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Coonagh is handy because of the petrol pumps although its not the ideal side of town for me, usually find everything I want in there.

Is my memory faulty or was there pumps at the Dooradoyle store before? Back in the Quinnsworth days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Coonagh, good levels of stock and choice and you don't have to walk half a mile to get your shopping to your car.

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Coonagh is handy because of the petrol pumps although its not the ideal side of town for me, usually find everything I want in there.

Is my memory faulty or was there pumps at the Dooradoyle store before? Back in the Quinnsworth days?

There was even during the Tesco days! Opposite the Library

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Go in there so a few evenings, walk around a few aisles and believe me, you'll realise I'm telling the truth. When I say f'ing at each other I don't necessairly mean they be arguing among themselves. More like one staff member might say to another..."johnny got a decent fu*king civic", that sort of thing...it goes on there a lot as far as I can see...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I am willing to place my blood on the line, I am that incensed about it, Tesco are shocking in Limerick. They are especially in the Crescent. Overpriced, poorly stocked, p!ss poor product range, bad quality control, I could go on.

Coonagh is maybe the better of them. But I'd shop in Dunnes on Erskine Childers Road for the bulk, Aldi down the way to supplement, and Superquinn up the road for bread, sausages, wine, cakes.

Garretts butchers is also out that way. They know their stuff, absolute gents.

Definitely the best side of Limerick to shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

6am to 12am.

Not sure about Sundays but I think it's the same.

Its actually 7am to 11pm in the Crescent. Coonagh is 6am to midnight though.
    myshirt wrote: »

Coonagh is maybe the better of them. But I'd shop in Dunnes on Erskine Childers Road for the bulk, Aldi down the way to supplement, and Superquinn up the road for bread, sausages, wine, cakes.

Definitely the best side of Limerick to shop.

You're the first person I've ever heard to include the ''Erskine'' part of Childers road before.

I'm an Aldi fan myself but when it comes to certain brand items I buy them at either Tesco or Dunnes, I'm quite indifferent to both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

1huge1 wrote: »

You're the first person I've ever heard to include the ''Erskine'' part of Childers road before.

6 of 1, a half dozen of the other. Just a habit.

Dunnes are really good out that side, it's well run and really on the ball in terms of market awareness. They have the offers, product is fresh, range of goods is A1, layout is good, managers are alert and active, the ease of shopping is good, I can envisage my wife making the dinners as I fill the trolley. I have everything ready to roll.

If you go to Tesco it's very difficult to put together a trolley of goods that'll feed a family properly, it's a lot of work, unless you like microwavable meals, borderline out of date crap, and putting your hand into your pocket to feel nothing but your leg after, as you are stone broke and starving.

Advertisement