Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching shoe types

Options
  • 04-01-2014 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've a question about shoe types and thought this might be the best place to ask - if I'm asking in the wrong place, apologies! I've been running regularly for about eight months, and started out on shoes with squishy soles. In August, I ended up with two new pairs of shoes - one squishy, one with thin soles and minimal padding - and started using the thin-soled ones for running to work to save the squishy ones for longer runs. Since then, running in the squishy shoes has gotten more and more uncomfortable - it came to a head over Christmas, when I did the Fat Turkey 10k in the light shoes with no problems, before running the 3k to work in the padded soles and having sore calves all day. Is this a permanent effect of switching to minimally-padded shoes, or is there a chance that it's a sign of something else? I'm hoping to do a lot of adventure races this summer, and the minimally-padded shoes I have are wearing out, so I need to decide fairly soon whether to get new ones...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

My first question would be what type/brand of shoes are you currently using? If you are doing lots of miles you are better off in shoes that are designed specifically for running. There are many brands out there, and there are shops that will analyse the way you run to help recommend a shoe for you. Also, what would a typical running week be for you? Have you changed your routine recently?

Your body will adjust to whatever type of footwear you wear most regularly, even if they are not optimal. But switching between the extremes of lots of cushioning and minimal cushioning is likely not a great idea. In less cushioned shoes, your feet, joints, and muscles are forced to work harder to absorb the impact of running. Running long distances in these type of shoes is something that you should build up to.

Shoes that provide more cushioning demand less of your legs, but more energy is wasted as you run, deforming the foam in the sole of the shoe. These shoes are usually heavier as well.

Most runners tend to do longer, slower runs in shoes with a higher degree of cushioning, and do races and faster workouts in lighter, firmer shoes.

Having said all that, sore calves are common amongst runners, and it could just be a short-term result of upping the amount of running you are doing. This is called delayed onset muscle soreness, or DOMS. I would invest in a foam-roller if you intend to keep up the running. These are great for loosening out stiff muscles, and will likely save you a fair few bob on physio bills in the long run.

TRIGPG-BK-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

A possible cause could be the level of arch support. This has been an issue for me as I have fallen arches. I have a pair of nike frees and can only do short runs/walking in them any longer and my calves start to hurt. For my long runs I have to use structured cushioning shoes like asics kayanos and calves are ok.

I recently switched from kayanos to brooks trance and had no issue with the switch as both have great arch support. Have you ever had a gait analysis done? I found it very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I've actually rowed back slightly on my running - I play rugby as well, so from September onwards I've had training twice a week and games at weekends, and haven't been running as much as I did during the summer. The padded-sole runners I have are Brooks Pure Cadence, and the superlight shoes are Puma FutureCat Super LTs - I'm not sure these are running shoes, but I've found them very comfortable.

My usual week would involve running to and from work (3km each way) three times, along with a long run on weekends I don't have a match - that's in addition to rugby training. That's only for the moment, though - once the season's over I'm planning to ramp up the running to replace the rugby, hence my trying to figure out the situation in advance of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I've actually rowed back slightly on my running - I play rugby as well, so from September onwards I've had training twice a week and games at weekends, and haven't been running as much as I did during the summer. The padded-sole runners I have are Brooks Pure Cadence, and the superlight shoes are Puma FutureCat Super LTs - I'm not sure these are running shoes, but I've found them very comfortable.

My usual week would involve running to and from work (3km each way) three times, along with a long run on weekends I don't have a match - that's in addition to rugby training. That's only for the moment, though - once the season's over I'm planning to ramp up the running to replace the rugby, hence my trying to figure out the situation in advance of that.

Ok, I have just had a google. The Puma's are not running shoes.

The Brooks are a 'support' shoe for people that pronate when running. The fact that you don't get pains from the (non-running shoe) pumas would likely indicate you are probably economical runner with no pronation. You most likely need a 'Neutral' runner.

I am a neutral runner and when I wear any kind of support shoe I also get injuries.

I recommend you go to a reputable running store (like Amphibian King) to get your running form assessed and find a pir of shoe suitable for you.

Advertisement