Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clanree Hotel or Mount Errigal Hotel?

Options
  • 04-01-2014 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Going to be staying in Letterkenny for about 5 days in July, myself, wife and 18 month old. Looking for a decent, good value hotel with a pool, both Clanree and Mount Errigal have one so which would be better for us? Don't mind if one is further out from town than the other as I'll have the car. Clanree is working out a wee bit cheaper so I'm leaning towards it. Both get pretty good reviews on Tripadvisor so looking for local advice, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Clanree.

Is got by far the nicest bar (Google mcgettigans Letterkenny) of any hotel I've stayed in in Ireland and the food is damn good too.

Also they've done up a few rooms to a really nice standard. If you can get one of them then there's no contest. Ask when booking.

The Errigal is living on past glories IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭nikinova

Hi OP,

Just to give you the pros and cons of each place:

Clanree

Pros: Nice hotel, good swimming pool, small gym, good bar and the hotel tends to have entertainment on during the weekends.

Cons: Beside a busy road, bit far from town centre if you are looking to walk to town)

Overall: the pros outweigh the cons here!

Mount Errigal

Pros:
    Nearer to the town, always seems to be a buzz about the place.

Cons
    Agree with the above poster, the hotel is a bit dated, had friends staying there who were on a 'special package' and were sent to a function room (the old night club) to have their dinner as they were on a 'special package' - other guest had their dinner in the restaurant!!
    Room deco pretty dated too, some rooms are pretty dark too. The bar area is not always the cleanest but In saying that, the food there is lovely!

.......ok

OUt of the two I would go with the clanree!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sorry folks but as per this thread things went a bit wonky earlier so all replies in this thread since this morning have been lost. I'll have a root around my email alerts and try to find a couple and put them up here again.

Thats about the best I can do unfortunately. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

(Originally by toby2111)---
    That An Chuirt in Gweedore looks lovely but unfortunately its booked out for our dates.Might try and re-jig the dates and see what I can do. Its a toss up between staying in Donegal town and explore south west Donegal or stay in Gweedore and explore north west Donegal.

(posted by retalivity) There are also 2 small hotels in Annagry (10mins from gweedore), Caisleain Oir & Danny Minnies.
    The ostan in gweedore is closed now, but I think the one in dungloe has reopened?"

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ozguest

I'm thinking of Arnold's at Dunfanaghy for similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭donegal_man

A few years ago I'd have said the Mount Errigal but having been there over Xmas/New Year period I have to agree with other posters. It just doesn't cut the mustard any more. Think they're depending on their past reputation, the place needs a good freshmen up and some customer service training to the staff wouldn't go amiss either.

Advertisement