Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WDTV Play not seeing my laptop...

• 04-01-2014 4:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Treated myself to a WDTV Play there recently, mainly because its one of the few players that works on an older CRT tv like ours....

Now heres the thing, and any help would be appreciated.

First day out of the box it was able to see my laptop and stream video files no problem.

I knocked it off at the socket and the next day it couldnt see the laptop anymore...

I think i have all my streaming options selected on Windows Media player, but as a friend of mine says, networking is like black magic sometimes...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭LostInDharma

It is a black art for sure.

I got one and the exact same thing happened to me. It took a few days of playing around and praying to the IT Gods to get it working.

To be honest I have no idea what one thing did it for me. But I did run through tutorials on setting up your HOME network in windows for sharing. Also, plug the player into your LAN port of your router to cut out any possible wireless issue until you get it sorted.

Its defo more of a windows sharing issue rather than the windows media player.

If your still stuck I don't mind going through my settings with you so you can set it up the same.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I've had similar issues with mine and, while it hasn't completely eliminated the problem, I found that setting a static IP address on the PC makes it happen much less frequently. Doing this on a laptop may be less convenient if you use it away from your home network a lot, though (my server is a desktop so it's not really an issue).

Advertisement