Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raheny 5 Mile Road Race 26th Jan 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Good luck to all running in the morning..

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭pilot1087

Interesting weather.... let's hope it clears.

Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Suns out it Raheny now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

colin32 wrote: »

Wind direction on Coast road? ;)

Hoping it'll be behind us, as it's a bit breezy

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Yep, I will be there to run/swim/hand glide the race today! 3rd year to run it the Raheny 5, a great way to get you off the couch and get rid of some of the damage done by the mince pies and selection boxes :D. I am looking forward to the goodie bag with jellies after the race (main reason I do the race) you all there...

First time I'll be doing it & with only 4 weeks exercise/training for it I'll be happy with 45 minutes

Looking forward to the goody bag as everyone is saying how good it is

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Hi Colin32,
    45 mins would be very decent time for your first time doing the race. My PB was 39 and bit minutes last year. Aiming for about the same this year (might have to settle for 41/42 mins as didn't get out much in the past 2-3 weeks).
    A few tips, don't go out too quick as you can get caught up in the excitement and 'blow up' mid way (happened to me 1st time out), also leave a bit in the tank for the last mile as there is a steep hill on the home straight ....have a good one!

Hey,

I know the hill :( I'm hoping the wind will be behind us on the coast road, so can save some energy for the last push

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

Hey,

I know the hill :( I'm hoping the wind will be behind us on the coast road, so can save some energy for the last push
    It should be. So long as you don't go mad on the first mile and a half, I think the wind won't be too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Hailstones now :D

It's gone very dark :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tattycoram

Congrats Raheny, such a great race year after year.

Came in at 46.00 by my watch. Beat last years time by 2.30 after very little training in the last few months since the marathon, delighted!

Oh and the goodie bag is the best i've ever seen, there's enough food in there to keep me going for days :)

One thing I would say though is that 3,000 entrants really is max capacity unless they rearrange the course. I was dodging crowds the whole way around. Last year people had definitely spread out after a mile or so.

Finished in 41.01 going by my watch, very happy with that. Signed up for 10km at start of march so that's my next aim

Yet to open the goody bag

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭bobsman

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Brilliantly organised race. A good good course and support.

The person f'ing and blinding at the start of the race (after getting clipped and tripped numerous times from behind) was quite funny. I am far from an elite athlete and I didn't line up right right at the top of the race. Maybe people should consider where they position themselves more carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭pilot1087

Great race as always, 40:15. Close to breaking the 40 minute barrier but was aiming for 41 so happy with that.

Any results available yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Great race well organised...fantastic goodie bag although the two chocy bars were missing. So lucky with the weather as it was cold but thankfully the rain held off with the sun even making an appearance along the coast for me.
    I did find the start a bit cramped but i started well behind the 35min marker even though I came in at under 32mins but only have myself to blame for that.
    It's a fast course that seems to be mostly downhill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Great race as always, and Raheny even managed to stop the rain for us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Super race, well done all at Raheny ! Delighted with my PB, hoping the chip time confirms a sub 37!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Great race - loved the course (although that hill in the last mile destroyed me) and can't fault the organisation at all. Great goody bag with lots of high-protein snacks and the all-important chocolate. And I love the plaque - it's already on display in my house.

Apart from one muppet who nearly tripped a few people up at the start by cutting across, I had no problems with congestion at all. Definitely would do this race again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PL1

Are there results available anywhere? I know they'll be in the independent tomorrow but would have thought they would online also....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Not up yet, will be up here later on;

http://www.tds-live.com/ns/index.jsp?pageType=1&id=5920

Great race as always & nice goody bag.

Only negative was there was far too many people in the sub 35 section that shouldn't have been there. It was a nightmare passing people out at the start.

The areas for the start weren't marked that great & I didn't hear them mention about being certain markers for the time before the race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

The areas for the start weren't marked that great & I didn't hear them mention about being certain markers for the time before the race

There was an area behind the elite athletes marked sub 35 (sign on the fence). I stood about 6 feet behind this & roughly about 300 people from the front as i was predicting to do about 32:30 (finished in 32:41). But there were loads of people in this section & closer to the front who were sub 40 runners.

It was only a small note on the fence wasn't very clear. I ended up starting with sub 55, as I didn't see the markings till the last minute. A mention from the people on the microphone would've been handy. As they mentioned to the walkers to try & stay on the path.

Overall though it was well organised & shall be looking to do it again next year

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fiona44

Results are up.

Anyone else's time wrong?

Myself and a few of my friend's times are about 5-10 seconds slower than they should have been based on our garmin times.

Something is definitely wrong with the times. I hope they get fixed because I have a PB riding on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PL1

Where are times up?

Folks....I can't see any times on the link!!

• Advertisement

You need to click on 'Ranking online' along the left hand side of the page & then you can search for your name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Fiona44 wrote: »
    Results are up.

Mine's accurate. Unfortunately. 40 minutes & 2 seconds.

*shakes fist*

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Craptacular

Results are up.

Myself and a few of my friend's times are about 5-10 seconds slower than they should have been based on our garmin times.

Something is definitely wrong with the times. I hope they get fixed because I have a PB riding on this!

My time is 9 seconds out from my Garmin. I don't have a PB riding on it so I'm not too concerned. The ramps were a few metres before the clock banner and I started when I went under the banner rather than over the ramps which could explain it.

Great race. Really enjoyed it and it was just what I needed to get my ass in gear planning out this year's races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

My time is 9 seconds out from my Garmin. I don't have a PB riding on it so I'm not too concerned. The ramps were a few metres before the clock banner and I started when I went under the banner rather than over the ramps which could explain it.
    Mine is 4 seconds out but as you did yourself, I started mine going under the gantry rather than over the ramps so the time looks spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

My third time running this race and yet again the good folks at Raheny Shamrocks did themselves proud:D
    Special thanks to all the volunteers, the stewards and also all the locals for the wonderful support.

For all the statisticians out there..... Chip times for Mr Stew and I were BOTH the exact same as last year, what are the chances??:D

fletch wrote: »
    Mine is 4 seconds out but as you did yourself, I started mine going under the gantry rather than over the ramps so the time looks spot on.

Ah I started mine going under the banner too. I didn't even notice the mats before the start line.

How very annoying!

Anyway I don't want to take away from the fact that it was a great race, very well organised as always!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Really well organised race. Thanks to all the volunteers especially - it was a pretty cold day to be hanging around and people are so generous with their time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Really well organised race. Thanks to all the volunteers especially - it was a pretty cold day to be hanging around and people are so generous with their time.

+1 amazing the amount of people who gave their time on such an awful day for standing around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭Paddyontherun

Well done to all. Very enjoyable race to watch. Some photos enclosed. Sorry about the quality of some. The cold and shivers didn't help.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/112752541@N02/12160508023/in/photostream/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

I've put up some photos from the start here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86489211@N00/sets/72157640178557036/

I'll put up some finish line ones later.

Also Peter Mooney has some great shots here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterm7/sets/72157640185381674/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

That was a lovely race, I'd like to do it again next year. I'm still eating my way through the goody bag, new years resolutions went out the window this evening...

I was one minute above my target time but I still worked hard and was pleased with the race so I'm happy out! Thanks guys, for a very well run event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I meant to add - it would have been great if it had started a bit earlier. It was getting dark as we came in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

I did this race once before in 2010 and I've always wanted to go back since to do it - now I remember why :) Well done Raheny, great race, everything was spot on. I PB'd back then and again today 30:20, That left turn off the coast road and then up the incline floored me and zapped the energy from me but dug in as much as I could. Good day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Aquals

Ah I started mine going under the banner too. I didn't even notice the mats before the start line.

How very annoying!

Anyway I don't want to take away from the fact that it was a great race, very well organised as always!

I also started mine under the banner and my time is about 9 seconds out. If only I'd known - I'm pretty sure I walked until I got to the banner! :( Would be better if the starting mat was under the start sign in future!

Apart from that though I loved this race! It was congested enough but the organisation was superb and the goody bag was as amazing as always! :-)

Thanks Raheny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Today was my third time taking part in this event and my time was slower than 2013, but quicker than 2012. So that's good.

Once again there is little to criticise for the staging and operation of this event. When collecting the race number around 12:30,I was struck by how many volunteers were busy getting everything ready in time. They're a credit to their club and to their community.

The hill at Watermill Road was my undoing. I put so much focus into getting it behind me, once done, I then lost focus and just stepped off the course. This broke my rhythm and it took some time to get it back again. Without that unenforced interrupt, and an enforced one on Mount Prospect Avenue for laces, my time could have been, for me, great. Ah well. there's always next year ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Aquals wrote: »
    I also started mine under the banner and my time is about 9 seconds out. If only I'd known - I'm pretty sure I walked until I got to the banner! :(Would be better if the starting mat was under the start sign in future!

But then your race would be 9 seconds short!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

Great day, great race, great (dare I say it) weather!

I had a carefully-constructed plan to run negative splits all the way round for a sub-40 time. Arrived late to the start, not properly warmed up or stretched, a tad freaked out. Started at an absolute gallop to try to get out from behind big bunches, slowed up somewhat on the Howth Road but was already uncomfortable, kept the foot down down Sybil Hill, MPA and the Coast Road, and then tried to kick coming back up Watermill Road but there was NOTHING left. The last mile was absolute torture, but I crossed the line in 37:23 so I think positive splits will be my race tactic from now on - start at a sprint, finish in absolute agony at a shuffle :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

I had fairly mixed feelings about this afterwards. It was my second time running this race; whereas last year I went out fast and tried to hang on, this year I tried a different approach. The trouble was, I ran the opening miles far too conservatively. It was only when I was on the coast road and heard the winners being called, than I realised I was marking the wrong guys, and should have been a lot further up the road. Even so, the hill on Watermill Road took a lot more out of me than I expected. With any hope of a PB well gone, I strolled in with a time of 36:09, 3 seconds slower than last year and just over a minute outside my PB.

Again fair play to all involved in the organising, it's great when everything works well with such a big field. Even if the director asks people to choose their starting positions correctly, you're still going to have lots of runners in totally the wrong place, and sometimes it even drives middle of the pack plodders like me crazy. Still working my way through the massive goodie bag, I will have to sample the gels at some stage to see if they're any use to me as my first marathon gets closer. Well done to all yesterday's participants.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Indo has the results listed as a 10km race
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/raheny-shamrocks-10k-results-29952116.html

I hope Bekele doesn't catch site of the times posted or he may get a bit freaked out.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

Very slick organisation, gets better every year. It went well enough for me. I started at just the right place and didn't get caught in any traffic. Nice even splits, all within 3 seconds of each other. I think I finished a few hundred metres after MarthaStew, as I heard her being called out ahead, as the "Irish over 50's champion" .. before they corrected themselves. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement