Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raheny 5 Mile Road Race 26th Jan 2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I'll add my thanks to Raheny Shamrocks for fantastic organisation, so many volunteers helping out, great atmosphere and loved the route. It was my first time doing it and someone had warned me about the hill towards the end on the morning of the race but I have to say it wasn't as bad as I was expecting! Will be back next year to beat my time. I think I'm the only one disappointed in the goody bag though... had heard great things about it including the mention of chocolate but alas none for me. Packet of biscuits (not chocolate :D), bubble gum? gels, 2 drinks and a bag of popcorn. If there had been one bar of chocolate and none of the rest of the stuff I'd have been super happy :).

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gqma0

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Indo has the results listed as a 10km race
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/raheny-shamrocks-10k-results-29952116.html

I hope Bekele doesn't catch site of the times posted or he may get a bit freaked out.:D

Is it always the case that tempo timing is used for sorting the position rather than real time ?

I love this race. My kids enjoyed the savage goodie bag. Top class organization as always. They even manage to control the rain ;-)

Thank you to Raheny Shamrocks and thanks to Peter Mooney and Eoin for the great shots.

Gaetan

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

gqma0 wrote: »
    Is it always the case that tempo timing is used for sorting the position rather than real time

Do people really care about their position outside of the top 1 or 2%? I would have thought most people would have personal goals of time rather than worrying about if they came 1595th or 1596th?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Firedance wrote: »
    I'll add my thanks to Raheny Shamrocks for fantastic organisation, so many volunteers helping out, great atmosphere and loved the route. It was my first time doing it and someone had warned me about the hill towards the end on the morning of the race but I have to say it wasn't as bad as I was expecting! Will be back next year to beat my time. I think I'm the only one disappointed in the goody bag though... had heard great things about it including the mention of chocolate but alas none for me. Packet of biscuits (not chocolate :D), bubble gum? gels, 2 drinks and a bag of popcorn. If there had been one bar of chocolate and none of the rest of the stuff I'd have been super happy :).

The goody bags must've all been different then. as I got a 5 pack of flakes, disco crisps plus the energy bars/drinks & a small chocolate breakfast shake

Do people really care about their position outside of the top 1 or 2%?

It was just a simple question. I don't care about position, just curious. I ran 3mn faster than last year and that's me happy :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

gqma0 wrote: »
    It was just a simple question. I don't care about position, just curious. I ran 3mn faster than last year and that's me happy :)

I think they just list you as you cross the line. Most likely just don't bother with reorganising based on actual time.

You must have finished ahead of me judging by your rain comment. The heavens opened just as I was coming towards the finish line.:D
    Have alot of work to do to build up my fitness.

Great day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The gun time results are the official results, used to determine the winners and race positions.
    Chip time is just for your own information.

I think they just list you as you cross the line. Most likely just don't bother with reorganising based on actual time.

You must have finished ahead of me judging by your rain comment. The heavens opened just as I was coming towards the finish line.:D
    Have alot of work to do to build up my fitness.

Great day out.

Thanks for clarification.

I was motivated to race against the rain since I had been training recently in wet conditions. I didn't fancy getting wet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Congrats and well done to all who raced yesterday, I'm sure there are plenty of sugar hangovers this morning after the goody-bag :-)

eoinín wrote: »
    I've put up some photos from the start here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86489211@N00/sets/72157640178557036/

I'll put up some finish line ones later.

Also Peter Mooney has some great shots here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterm7/sets/72157640185381674/
    plodder wrote: »
    Very slick organisation, gets better every year. It went well enough for me. I started at just the right place and didn't get caught in any traffic. Nice even splits, all within 3 seconds of each other. I think I finished a few hundred metres after MarthaStew, as I heard her being called out ahead, as the "Irish over 50's champion" .. before they corrected themselves. :pac:

Thanks so much for the great photos Eoin, Helen posted the link on my log. Plenty of smiles from me at the finish line, firstly because it's always nice to finish a race in one piece but also because I had heard Susan announce me as the "over 50s champion", and I was thinking "I know I'm old but I'm not that old (yet)"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Marthastew wrote: »

Thanks so much for the great photos Eoin, Helen posted the link on my log. Plenty of smiles from me at the finish line, firstly because it's always nice to finish a race in one piece but also because I had heard Susan announce me as the "over 50s champion", and I was thinking "I know I'm old but I'm not that old (yet)"

It's great to get a happy, smiling, arms-aloft celebration when a runner crosses the line. I was just remarking to Helen at the number of finish line photos I have of people looking down to stop their Garmin. What did runners do at the finish line in pre-Garmin times!?

By the way there were a few other comedy moments from the commentary team, so you're in good company. My favourite was when Eoin Callaghan's brother was coming up the home straight. The announcer kept referring to him as such, all the way to the finish line, as she couldn't quite remember his christian name. I think she said "Eoin Callaghan's brother" around 5 or 6 times!

• Advertisement

There's some finish line photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86489211@N00/sets/72157640186446306/

More to follow this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

It's great to get a happy, smiling, arms-aloft celebration when a runner crosses the line. I was just remarking to Helen at the number of finish line photos I have of people looking down to stop their Garmin. What did runners do at the finish line in pre-Garmin times!?

By the way there were a few other comedy moments from the commentary team, so you're in good company. My favourite was when Eoin Callaghan's brother was coming up the home straight. The announcer kept referring to him as such, all the way to the finish line, as she couldn't quite remember his christian name. I think she said "Eoin Callaghan's brother" around 5 or 6 times!

Ironic considering he finished in front of Eoin yesterday.

Edit: Not so ironic, the results show he did but looking at the pictures they mixed their numbers up and Eoin finished 15th & Neil 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I imagine the pressure standing there trying to remember everyone's names is tough going. I love the fact that Susan is so natural and honest when she's commenting on people as they crosses the Finish Line. I was also happy to be reminded of my national title as it's less than 3 weeks till I have to hand over the crown :-) to the new 2014 champion

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭AlsoRan

Well done to all the organisers and volunteers. Really enjoyed it, it was tough in places, but great supporters which kept me going. It is definitely the most popular goody bag I have ever brought home, the kids might actually start supporting me soon if they get more munchies again! I'll be putting my name down for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I can see one of me doing exactly that... duly noted to not do this at next race :)

Great photos by the way, fair play to you for giving up your chance to run to and to do this for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Funny now that you mention it, the last time I can remember lifting my arms in celebration was at the finish of DCM 2011.....I got my Garmin in Dec 2011. I wonder are these two thing related:confused:

Thanks for the pics. Much appreciated:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

colin32 wrote: »
    The goody bags must've all been different then. as I got a 5 pack of flakes, disco crisps plus the energy bars/drinks & a small chocolate breakfast shake

They should all have had biscuits OR flakes OR selection boxes :) OR a tube of Munchies. Plus crisps or popcorn, the various drinks, gels, energy bars and a pasta meal. The order of what to put in the bags is seared into my brain after the whole day spent packing. Oh, and they should all have had a plaque. If anything was missing take a heavier bag when you finish next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭bobsman

Excuse my ignorance folks....what's tempo time and real time?? There is a good 90 sec difference between mine��

bobsman wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance folks....what's tempo time and real time?? There is a good 90 sec difference between mine��

the official time that was on the finishing line display and your actual time according to when you passed the startline and passed the finish line according to the sensor on your number. My difference was 1min 15

• Advertisement

HelenAnne wrote: »
    They should all have had biscuits OR flakes OR selection boxes :) OR a tube of Munchies. Plus crisps or popcorn, the various drinks, gels, energy bars and a pasta meal. The order of what to put in the bags is seared into my brain after the whole day spent packing. Oh, and they should all have had a plaque. If anything was missing take a heavier bag when you finish next year :)

I wasn't complaining Helen, I was just replying to someone who'd posted to say he was disappointed with getting biscuits.

I was happy getting the flakes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I wasn't complaining Helen, I was just replying to someone who'd posted to say he was disappointed with getting biscuits.

I was happy getting the flakes :)

I wasn't complaining either Helen, really appreciate all the work that went into packing all those bags and I don't run for the goody bag but had heard so much about these before hand! Better all round there werent 5 flakes in my bag or I'd have eaten them on the spot :) am happy to have run in a great event and got a PB on the day too.

Firedance wrote: »
    I wasn't complaining either Helen, really appreciate all the work that went into packing all those bags and I don't run for the goody bag but had heard so much about these before hand! Better all round there werent 5 flakes in my bag or I'd have eaten them on the spot :) am happy to have run in a great event and got a PB on the day too.

Hello! Sorry - tried to reply earlier but Eoin is uploading photos of the race and using up all the internet!

Didn't think any of you were complaining -- really glad everyone had a good time & enjoyed the goody bag. I was just reminiscing about the big sweet-things tower at stop 6 on the packing trail -- Munchies, then biscuits, then flakes, then selection boxes, then Dairy Milk. The bags were all similar but there was variety.

I got Munchies, hurray!

Well done on the PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I ate all the chocolate....sorry!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 newbygirl

Hello! Sorry - tried to reply earlier but Eoin is uploading photos of the race and using up all the internet!

Didn't think any of you were complaining -- really glad everyone had a good time & enjoyed the goody bag. I was just reminiscing about the big sweet-things tower at stop 6 on the packing trail -- Munchies, then biscuits, then flakes, then selection boxes, then Dairy Milk. The bags were all similar but there was variety.

I got Munchies, hurray!

Well done on the PB!

I got the munchies too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

newbygirl wrote: »
    That won't do your 5k time any good newbygirl:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Did you win this race too or how did you find it?

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Did you win this race too or how did you find it?

No this was a big race unlike the 5km. I tried to run it at the same speed as the 5km but my legs got like jelly wobbles with about a km to go and I finished very poorly and missed my target time of 30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

No this was a big race unlike the 5km. I tried to run it at the same speed as the 5km but my legs got like jelly wobbles with about a km to go and I finished very poorly and missed my target time of 30.

Poor effort. Time to retire this handle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Poor effort. Time to retire this handle.

yeah very poor indeed. Only 3 females finished between 30 and 31 minutes. 2 are over 40 and the other I am pretty sure is not newbygirl

Edit: Actually all 3 are very experienced runners and didn't just do their first 5k last week ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Really enjoyed this race, although had my usual thought in the middle of "why am I doing this" followed by my "I feel great" thoughts at the end! It was very well organised and the finish area and walk to collect goodie bags moved nice and quickly. I was surprised by the weight of my goodie bag! I got munchies and disco's which got opened on the drive home as I was starving.

Thanks to all the organisers. :)

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    yeah very poor indeed. Only 3 females finished between 30 and 31 minutes. 2 are over 40 and the other I am pretty sure is not newbygirl

Edit: Actually all 3 are very experienced runners and didn't just do their first 5k last week ;)

I said I missed my target time of 30 minutes, I had an awful finish so why would you be thinking I ended up running between 30 and 31? Why are some of you being so dismissive?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

I said I missed my target time of 30 minutes, I had an awful finish so why would you be thinking I ended up running between 30 and 31? Why are some of you being so dismissive?

They're not! (Or at least I don't think they are) I think they are slagging you because you're called 'NEWBYgirl' and yet you're going around winning your first race and setting an incredible target of 30 mins for your first 5-miler (and no doubt getting pretty close!) The first comment was 'I think it's time to retire that handle', i.e. Newbygirl. You could maybe replace it with Soniathesecond? Or BlathnaidBekele? ;-)

As a matter of interest, what sport did you play before you took up running? You obviously didn't just jump up off the couch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Hey Newbygirl- are you in a club? Any interest? I know an outfit down in knockloyn that would love to have you! They have 1 talented female that you'd be running workouts with in no time!

merc230ce wrote: »
    They're not! (Or at least I don't think they are) I think they are slagging you because you're called 'NEWBYgirl' and yet you're going around winning your first race and setting an incredible target of 30 mins for your first 5-miler (and no doubt getting pretty close!) The first comment was 'I think it's time to retire that handle', i.e. Newbygirl. You could maybe replace it with Soniathesecond? Or BlathnaidBekele? ;-)

As a matter of interest, what sport did you play before you took up running? You obviously didn't just jump up off the couch...

Thanks, but not really sure of the NEWBYgirl logic but don't think you're slagging me. The 5k was a local one back home so nothing like the race in Raheny which was actually amazing but I was very disappointed in my own performance. I play county football and was on a soccer scholarship in the states so I would be very fit. I'm not trying to make out like I'm something special and I'm sure there are loads of people on here who would be a million miles better than me.

drquirky wrote: »
    Hey Newbygirl- are you in a club? Any interest? I know an outfit down in knockloyn that would love to have you! They have 1 talented female that you'd be running workouts with in no time!

Not sure where Knockloyn is but don't think I have the time to join a club with my other commitments but thanks for the advice.

Just out of interest, what time did you win the 5k in? Would 30 mins have been a realistic target for you for Raheny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Just out of interest, what time did you win the 5k in? Would 30 mins have been a realistic target for you for Raheny?

Context
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80390925&postcount=8

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80845882&postcount=107

Hilarious :D

'slog around for a sub-3 hour' - love it.

So according to the Runner's World Pace Predictor, sub-30 would have been very achievable based on Newbygirl's 5k time.

I've found it to be scarily accurate so far - it predicted my Raheny finishing time to within 1 sec based on my best Parkrun time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Didn't do as well as I had hoped, gona chalk it up to the weather :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I got a new PB.
    What was 32:41 is now 32:40.
    true story :)

I had an awful Parkrun the day previous so I wasn't expecting to do well but was very happy with my result.

RayCun wrote: »

Speedy!

A fast woman in Raheny DID run her first Raheny 5 in about 30 minutes a few years ago, I believe. That's how she was discovered, so it can happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Speedy!

A fast woman in Raheny DID run her first Raheny 5 in about 30 minutes a few years ago, I believe. That's how she was discovered, so it can happen!

I think you missing the point there: Newbyrunner was a male who began running in 2012. Newbygirl is a female who began running in 2014 yet according to our mods; they are the same person ;)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057129886

menoscemo wrote: »
    I think you missing the point there: Newbyrunner was a male who began running in 2012. Newbygirl is a female who began running in 2014 yet according to our mods; they are the same person ;)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057129886

Sorry, no I got that. Should have put a smiley after 'speedy'! And the actual, real fast runner comment was an aside - just out of interest. Sorry, re-reading my post I do see it was unclear.

I remember newbyrunner, he never did come back with his marathon time did he?

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

I remember newbyrunner, he never did come back with his marathon time did he?

Surprisingly like newbygirl didnt come back answering your Q on "her" time at Raheny.. funny that :)

Why doesn't newbygirl just post a picture of herself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Why doesn't newbygirl just post a picture of herself :)

Or himself!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Couldn't run this myself, so I took the camera out. A few photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/116117475@N06/sets/72157640383425685/

Murph_D wrote: »
    Couldn't run this myself, so I took the camera out. A few photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/116117475@N06/sets/72157640383425685/

Great Shots!

• Advertisement

On another subject, does anyone know the brand of the cookie that was in the goodie bag by any chance ?? I took it before my long run yesterday morning and felt absolutely fantastic all along. I didn't feel tired at all. My wife cleared the recycle bin while I was out running. Thanks.

Advertisement