Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal v Spurs 5:15 UTV FA Cup 3rd Round

1234568»

Comments

Best team won.

No shame losing away to Arsenal but Sherwood played into their hands with that formation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Godge wrote: »
    That is nine players, some of whom are rubbish.

Sczeszny, Jenkinson, Gibbs, Diaby, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Giroud, Podolski, Ramsey, Bendtner, Park and Ryo are 11 who played no part in this game.

Would take that 11 to beat your nine even though there are no centre-backs :D:D:D

we hada fit siggy take no part either and our 2nd keeper is Friedel so that makes 11 a side dr pedantic:D

Id fancy our lads to win esp if you have to resort to using Bendtner, Park Ryo Jenkinson and Diaby. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

davycc wrote: »
    we hada fit siggy take no part either and our 2nd keeper is Friedel so that makes 11 a side dr pedantic:D

Id fancy our lads to win esp if you have to resort to using Bendtner, Park Ryo Jenkinson and Diaby. :P

Diaby at full fitness is/was a superb player, good enough for Wenger to keep him on the books despite the obviously slim chance of ever getting use out of him. I'd take a Diaby that was guaranteed to be fit over any of Spurs midfield options.

Jenkinson is decent, and Bendtner, despite the attitude problems, is good enough to score twice against Italy and good enough for Juventus to take a chance on him despite all the black marks against him.

The other two aren't even worth mentioning. Ryo is a prospect who seems to not have made it, and nobody has a clue what the hell Park is, but it isn't useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Diaby at full fitness is/was a superb player, good enough for Wenger to keep him on the books despite the obviously slim chance of ever getting use out of him. I'd take a Diaby that was guaranteed to be fit over any of Spurs midfield options.

Jenkinson is decent, and Bendtner, despite the attitude problems, is good enough to score twice against Italy and good enough for Juventus to take a chance on him despite all the black marks against him.

The other two aren't even worth mentioning. Ryo is a prospect who seems to not have made it, and nobody has a clue what the hell Park is, but it isn't useful.

Diaby has one leg shorter than the other because of injury, he be finished at the highest level

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Dempsey wrote: »
    Diaby has one leg shorter than the other because of injury, he be finished at the highest level

That just makes him able to turn quicker! :-D

I take your points on Jenks and Bendyboots:) and even Ryo & Park who have seen very little of TBH..:confused:

I admire yours and Wengers trust in Diaby and he was a great player when he burst onto the team and fit ,always seemed to play out of his skin against us but for me he does not compare to Sandro or Dembele..I think most neutrals would agree with me:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I would actually disagree about Diaby.

In general, he has frustrated Arsenal fans more than he's made us excited. He put together 3 or 4 stunning performances last season but they matched 2 or 3 stale performances.

When he isn't playing spectacularly, he doesn't have the consistency to put in a good shift like Vieira always would. He can be very poor.

seen this in the spurs forum:

I was surprised when I saw the stats for the game.

we had 54% possession they had 46%
    we had 13 shots they had 14.
    we had 3 on target they had 5
    we had 8 corners they had 6

Looking at the game I thought they were way ahead of us on all counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Arsenal are very comfortable off the ball. The amount of times they allowed Spurs to pass the ball just inside their half was a big number.

They sat back and eventually won the ball and utilised their possession to a better degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

seen this in the spurs forum:

I was surprised when I saw the stats for the game.

we had 13 shots they had 14.
    we had 3 on target they had 5
    we had 8 corners they had 6

Looking at the game I thought they were way ahead of us on all counts.
    Just proves stats are a load of ****, you and I watched the game and it was the most comfortable NLD in a long while

I take your points on Jenks and Bendyboots:) and even Ryo & Park who have seen very little of TBH..:confused:

I admire yours and Wengers trust in Diaby and he was a great player when he burst onto the team and fit ,always seemed to play out of his skin against us but for me he does not compare to Sandro or Dembele..I think most neutrals would agree with me:cool:

Certainly he hasn't achieved anything in the game really, as they have, in terms of long periods of playing well, but at his (rare) best I don't think anyone who had watched all three could seriously argue against Diaby being the best of them.

Saying all that, of the three I would obviously prefer either of Sandro or Dembele in my squad, but that was not the point I was arguing at all.

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Arsenal are very comfortable off the ball. The amount of times they allowed Spurs to pass the ball just inside their half was a big number.

They sat back and eventually won the ball and utilised their possession to a better degree.

This is a particular trait of us this year, I think. Against Swansea earlier this year, I'd guess they had 60% possession, but there was little doubt in anyone's mind at any stage that we'd win.

It's much better to watch, I think. More economical, rather than the indulgent, wasteful possession that led nowhere that we sometimes used to have.

Soups123 wrote: »
    Just proves stats are a load of ****, you and I watched the game and it was the most comfortable NLD in a long while

same here I thought we would have barely had 35% posession ourselves:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

We're playing a type of Bayern Munich lite; spurts of ~10-15mins dominance and then switch to defensive mode and back again. It's been pretty evident that AW has gone down this route since we played Bayern at their place. For all the flak, we're an excellent defensive unit. We don't have the same calibre of player Bayern have which is why I call what we're doing Bayern lite.

Significant change from the Barcelona lite we had played in the period 2006-2012. We all remember how mesmerising that was at times with 20+ pass moves leading to goals ("walking it it") but equally how frustrating it was when teams shut up shop and we just passed from one side of the pitch to the other. We just didn't have the players to carry it off to same effect Barcelona could.

I like our current system; it gets the most out of the players we have and by and large you'd be competitive with almost every team out there with it (Dortmund I think confirmed this for me - on paper and player for player they're a better team than we are). Our wild card for want of a better description, and what Bayern don't have seeing as they're not really playing Shaqiri, is Walcott. He gives the team excellent balance; defences are reluctant to play high as he can get in behind which creates room for our more intricate players like Cazorla and Ozil to shine - all they need is a runner from midfield and that's why Ramsey is cleaning up this season.

It's fascinating stuff and I think a lot of us let it bypass us - we don't watch football per se. :)

Advertisement