Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Efibire in Carlow

Options
  • 04-01-2014 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭

Well folks,

I was thinking of getting eircoms new efibre broadband and i was wondering if anyone in the town got it? Is it any good?

Im in the askea church area so i dunno what the reception will be like etc.

All comments good or bad are appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Well folks,

I was thinking of getting eircoms new efibre broadband and i was wondering if anyone in the town got it? Is it any good?

Thanks

Hard to say where your nearest cab is. Distance from the cab will affect your service. Nearer is generally better all being equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Well folks,

Thanks

It might be worthwhile to ask your neighbours. If they are getting not a great increase in speed or poor service it could be indicative of what you could expect.

If you speak to Eircom sales you might get a massaged assessment of what you might expect to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭godwin

From my experience of using different providers, with the exception of different bundle prices you end up paying roughly the same, the one thing that brought me back to Eircom was the fact they own the infrastructure. While I was with Vodafone and their was a problem with something else other than the router they had to contact Eircom to send out an Engineer, while with Perlico it was the same, problem with the network, send out an Eircom engineer.

So in the long run I figured it was better to stick with Eircom for the sake of €10 more a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

cabinet is within site of my house since at least last september but spoke with eircom today and its still not available in graiguecullen?
    Anyone got it in graigue?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

lotdpd wrote: »
    Anyone got it in graigue?

Have it in crossneen and I know somebody in The Vale that has it also.
    The box you see might not be the one you're connected to.
    My one goes past two boxes then connects to one about 1500m away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

D-bear - whats it like in Crossneen? I had a fella at my door today trying to sell me on it (im also in crossneen). Some third party company selling on eircom services I assume (I didnt think efibre came out this far so i wasnt really listening to him tbh)

Get about 13mb at most about twice the speed of what I had before. The speed depends on how far from the cabinet the house is the one i'm connected to is just before the entrance of rochford manor about 1500m.

You can check the speed you'll get on the eircom site just put in your phone number https://www.eircom.net/broadband/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

eircom fibre is very good alternative to the old NGB broadband. You will get higher than NGB speeds, if not considerably higher. It depends on availability in your area and then the distance from the cabinet. But even at that, the speeds are excellent. eircom, vodafone and I believe UTV offer fibre broadband. Max speeds is up to 70mb (again, depending on availability and cabinet distance) and there are plans to increase this to up to 100mb early this year.

You would be mad to stick with phone BB or NGB broadband if fibre was available in your area. €45 for up to 70mb unlimited broadband with off peak calls. Add €5 to get unlimited calls day or night. Prices with eircom and were correct up to December anyway.

eircom do TV for €10 with fibre. It's very basic, but if you want cheap very basic digital TV - it's a good offer.

The only alternative is UPC, if it's available in Carlow and in your area. UPC offers much faster speeds for broadband. I don't particularly like their TV service, but they offer a bit more than eircom in terms of channel content. It's just the quality of the box and usability I didn't like.

Sky are rumoured to be doing fibre but no confirmation as of yet, there all rumours.

EDIT: eircom, as of yet, do not hire sales people directly. Neither do Vodafone. Sky are doing so at the moment alongside (I believe) an agency. CPM is the agency who work on behalf of eircom. Sales Force, I think, is with Vodafone. There are strict rules within the agencies and within the regulator about sales people. Just stick to what's on your order sheet and that's what you will get and pay for. In terms of fibre availability, eircom reps cannot sign you up unless your exact address is showing is having fibre on the fibre checker on the eircom website.

Some estates have fibre but not every house within can get it - you need to double check your house on the checker. If you are living a certain distance outside of the range, eircom offer fibre but its well below the standard fibre speeds but higher than what you can get on satellite / NGB. You can't get TV in this instance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I live in Graiguecullen and the Eircom website says I can get the full 70Mb, the nearest cabinet to me is around 400m near the entrance to Dunne's but I don't know if it's the one I'm connected to.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I live in Graiguecullen and the Eircom website says I can get the full 70Mb, the nearest cabinet to me is around 400m near the entrance to Dunne's but I don't know if it's the one I'm connected to.

The website doesn't give exact speeds. Most areas are offering up to 70mb. The sales team will have access to your exact speeds (give or take a couple of mb). It's a much more accurate speed they can give you compared with the speeds they gave out on the NGB scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Sully wrote: »
    The website doesn't give exact speeds. Most areas are offering up to 70mb. The sales team will have access to your exact speeds (give or take a couple of mb). It's a much more accurate speed they can give you compared with the speeds they gave out on the NGB scheme.

If I could get even 30Mb I'd be happy.
    I live in a 200Mb UPC area also so that is thankfully also an option.

If I could get even 30Mb I'd be happy.
    I live in a 200Mb UPC area also so that is thankfully also an option.

Check with them and see anyway. I think the lowest I have seen was 28mb in the main fibre areas. The extended reach is a little different.

Sully wrote: »

If you put in your phone number into the checker and then on the results page click on "your line speed" it gives you the speed you should get as in my case 13mb.

D_BEAR wrote: »
    If you put in your phone number into the checker and then on the results page click on "your line speed" it gives you the speed you should get as in my case 13mb.

Oh right, I didn't know they implemented it on the website. That's pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Has anyone got the Efibre around the Staplestown area??

That appears to be me nearest cabinet to me

Advertisement