Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to oz on holiday visa hoping to get sponsered

Options
  • 04-01-2014 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Was in OZ this time last year for 3 months and done the whole tourist route thing, came back end of march this year and FML! Work has completely dried up, im self employed last 6 years so no chance of getting dole, when you do get a good spell of work then wait for payment in mean time 5 bills arrive to swallow up the money and am fecking sick of it

I have a few quid saved and was thinking of going back to oz on a holiday visa and I know your not meant to look for work but what choice have I got, 2 other mates in same boat as me and we are thinking as soon as we land look for work and sponsorship, we know another lad who did this 4 years ago and it worked out well for him he had to pay the paperwork sponsor fees which is fair enough but he's flying now working for good company, getting good money, loads of overtime, living in nice apartment across from the beach in Melbourne etc

When it comes to the work end of things the 3 of us are not fussed what we do we are good grafters and we know we would be a good team of lads to have working for you but what do you think the chances of it working our would be? Are could anyone advise a better way of approaching this? Oh we are all to old for the holiday visa unfortunately.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Try a working holiday visa if you are applicable. IF you are under 30 then a 12 month visa is easy to get. Do your 88 days rural work and you get a 2nd year.

If you come over for a holiday and look for work you are in breach of your visa. If found out, you will be made leave Australia and possibly banned for several years to re-enter and any future visa application might be compromised.

If you do decide to come over on holiday visa, do not pack any CV's, qualifications, tools or anything like that. If you do get questioned it will be pretty obvious why you are coming out here. You'll probably get refused entry and get a nice 3 year ban as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You might find that getting sponsored a lot harder than it was 4 years ago, they changed the rules last July and 457 visa grants are down 40%. Employers no longer can pass the cost associated with sponsoring onto an employee, they now also hit with increased 1-2% of their total payroll every year towards training funds and the employee has to be paid the same as everyone else....end result is it's far more expensive to sponsor. There has also lately been a trend where employers are off loading their current 457 rubbish, lot more people finding themselves on a plane straight back to jobbridge these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Aelfric

Since July 1st 2013, a person no longer has an automatic right to apply for a visa to Oz. New rules mean you must fill out an Expression of Interest via Skill Select and wait to be invited to apply once employment has been secured. You can no longer just rock up on a tourist visa and hope to find an employer to sponsor you.

Browse the Oz Immigration website and see if there's somethig else, like Exceptional Talent or, if you have some cash behind you ($30,000), start your own business over there.

But DO NOT, as others have alluded to, do anything that may put you the wrong side of Immigration, otherwise you will face a ban on re-entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

Aelfric wrote: »
    Since July 1st 2013, a person no longer has an automatic right to apply for a visa to Oz. New rules mean you must fill out an Expression of Interest via Skill Select and wait to be invited to apply once employment has been secured. You can no longer just rock up on a tourist visa and hope to find an employer to sponsor you.

Browse the Oz Immigration website and see if there's somethig else, like Exceptional Talent or, if you have some cash behind you ($30,000), start your own business over there.

But DO NOT, as others have alluded to, do anything that may put you the wrong side of Immigration, otherwise you will face a ban on re-entry.

Explain this to me a little more please..

I'm starting work next week (construction) and was hoping if he likes me or whatever I might get sponsored as I'm on a whv at the moment..

If this is changing what are my options, I'm only here a little bit but already love it here and don't want to go home.

I thought I had two options, either get a skilled visa or get sponsored?

I thought if I was working for somebody they could just sponsor me?

Please go into a little more detail as what my options would be..

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

You're correct, the new EOI process for applying only relates to skilled migration visas, i.e. permanent residency. This process has nothing to do with sponsorship.

• Advertisement

Traq wrote: »
    You're correct, the new EOI process for applying only relates to skilled migration visas, i.e. permanent residency. This process has nothing to do with sponsorship.

So I can still (If I'm lucky) get sponsored and later on apply for a skilled visa?

Can you apply for a skilled visa while being sponsored and if you get turned down can you still carry on working away as you are already sponsored?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I don't know any Irish over here to be asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Aelfric

The 'sponsorship' you're talking about I'm assuming is the Subclass 457 Temporary Business Visa, which I was on. After 2 years on this visa, with the same employer, you can apply for a Permanent Resident visa, which currently costs over $3k. The legislation that came into force back in July 2013 hadn't been applied to 457s when we left in October, but it was due to kick in sometime in the near future, hence my response to your query.

If your employer wishes to keep you on, you must be working in an industry role specified on the Combined Skilled Occupations List in order to qualify - you can't sponsor someone to work in McDonalds, for instance. You must have a skill that is in short supply among Australian workers. The WHV negates most of that. It's really best to get advice from someone in Oz currently. I had to leave because I couldn't get an alternative sponsor when my employer went bust, and it became a way too expensive holiday.

Try expat groups on Facebook, or look for expat forums. The British are great for those (Poms in Oz) and will help you out.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

top madra wrote: »
    Explain this to me a little more please..

I'm starting work next week (construction) and was hoping if he likes me or whatever I might get sponsored as I'm on a whv at the moment..

If this is changing what are my options, I'm only here a little bit but already love it here and don't want to go home.

I thought if I was working for somebody they could just sponsor me?

Please go into a little more detail as what my options would be..

Thanks.

What is your qualification? without a qualification you may find it very difficult to get either sponsored or a skilled visa. Also if you can apply for a skilled visa without getting sponsored do it as the 457 visa is probably the worst visa to be on in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

Aelfric wrote: »
    The 'sponsorship' you're talking about I'm assuming is the Subclass 457 Temporary Business Visa, which I was on. After 2 years on this visa, with the same employer, you can apply for a Permanent Resident visa, which currently costs over $3k.

just a slight correction for people reading this as that is not entirely correct. being with the same employer for 2 years on a 457 will mean you do not need a skill assessment for your permanent residency application. You can apply at any stage. Do not need to wait the two years. It would only mean you have to get a skills assessment.

Have heard so many people think they can't get PR until two years with their employer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Legend100 wrote: »
    just a slight correction for people reading this as that is not entirely correct. being with the same employer for 2 years on a 457 will mean you do not need a skill assessment for your permanent residency application. You can apply at any stage. Do not need to wait the two years. It would only mean you have to get a skills assessment.

Have heard so many people think they can't get PR until two years with their employer

Yeh 189 (independent) and 190 (ENS).

Also the cost isn't really correct either. Sure the application is currently around $3520 but that's not all of it. My skills assessment was $500. My IELTS was $330 and my medical was $353.

irishmover wrote: »
    Yeh 189 (independent) and 190 (ENS).

190 is state sponsored.

ENS is 186

mandrake04 wrote: »
    190 is state sponsored.

ENS is 186

Spot on! Was thinking of doing a quick search to make sure I was right and said nah **** it..

I'm a Painting and Decorator with about 12yrs experience..

As far as I can see I'm on the list (painting trades worker)

I was told FAS papers aren't recognised over here...

What would be my best options to stay here as in which visa should I try get?

I know getting sponsored isn't the best because I'm tied to one employer but I was going to do it if I hadn't really any other options.
    I brought over about 10k dollars with me and can get my hands on more if needs be so I don't really mind payin whatever it costs...

I just don't wanna go home!

Thanks guys I'm learning more from this thread than spending hours scrolling thru other forums.

I'm a Painting and Decorator with about 12yrs experience..

As far as I can see I'm on the list (painting trades worker)

I was told FAS papers aren't recognised over here...

What would be my best options to stay here as in which visa should I try get?

I know getting sponsored isn't the best because I'm tied to one employer but I was going to do it if I hadn't really any other options.
    I brought over about 10k dollars with me and can get my hands on more if needs be so I don't really mind payin whatever it costs...

I just don't wanna go home!

Thanks guys I'm learning more from this thread than spending hours scrolling thru other forums.

You most certainly are on the SOL list. Code 332211.

I'd suggest getting onto skillselect and the 189 visa requirements.. working out your points. 60 points is the minimum requirement to submit an EOI.

Then look into the skills assessment. TRA is your assessing body so I'd suggest investigating what the requirements are for you to pass it.

Also the English international language test is a handy way to pick up points so if you can make up 50 points elsewhere you'll be on course to apply.

I spent just over 2 years in 457 and currently simply waiting for Immigration to get my medical results from Medibank and I've got my PR. It's not a difficult process and doesn't require a migration agent at all.

Ok just had a look at the points test, I think I just about make 60 points and that's if I get the higher English.

30 - age
    20 - higher English
    10 - work at home

Should I apply now because I'm 32 next month and next year that will drop me 5 points?

Also how hard is the English test?

And because for the last 3 years I was working for myself and others ( mostly for cash ) that drops me points for work experience at home.

Also would I be best off using a agent and when do they calculate your age from, the date you apply or when your invited?

Ok just had a look at the points test, I think I just about make 60 points and that's if I get the higher English.

30 - age
    20 - higher English
    10 - work at home

Should I apply now because I'm 32 next month and next year that will drop me 5 points?

And because for the last 3 years I was working for myself and others ( mostly for cash ) that drops me points for work experience at home.

Also would I be best off using a agent and when do they calculate your age from, the date you apply or when your invited?

I suggest before looking any further at all you talk to TRA to find out whether you can prove your skills assessment. That is the fundamental requirement of the 189. Without that it doesn't matter how many points you have.

You mentioned something about FAS courses so I'd suggest you call them/research the requirements for Painting trades worker before going any further. Can come back to those questions once you're certain you meet the skills assessment requirements.

30 - age
    20 - higher English
    10 - work at home

You would need to get all your ducks in a row before you can make an EOI, if invited you have 60 days to apply for the visa.

The age counts from the day you were invited to apply for the visa not the date you submitted the EOI.

Superior English requires to get 8.0 in each band, I belive its not as easy as it sounds.

You would need to get all your ducks in a row before you can make an EOI, if invited you have 60 days to apply for the visa.

The age counts from the day you were invited to apply for the visa not the date you submitted the EOI.

Superior English requires to get 8.0 in each band, I belive its not as easy as it sounds.

I contacted TRA and I have to prove I was working 12 months out of the last 36...
    I can prove a couple but way the things were back home I was mostly working for myself and for cash so I can't prove much.
    I could work here to try and make up the rest of the months but I would be cutting tight on the age limit..

What's the usual turn around after sending a EOI?

I think I'm pretty much f'd :(

Have I any other options?

I just had a look at the points test again, does this mean

'An award or qualification recognised by the assessing authority in the assessment of the skilled occupation'

Do you get points for passing the TRA assessment?

• Advertisement

I contacted TRA and I have to prove I was working 12 months out of the last 36...
    I can prove a couple but way the things were back home I was mostly working for myself and for cash so I can't prove much.
    I could work here to try and make up the rest of the months but I would be cutting tight on the age limit..

What's the usual turn around after sending a EOI?

I think I'm pretty much f'd :(

Have I any other options?

Your best bet is 457 sponsorship, definitely still possible but as long as the employer meet all the criteria and the costs its just harder to get sponsored now than it was a year or so.
    I just had a look at the points test again, does this mean

'An award or qualification recognised by the assessing authority in the assessment of the skilled occupation'

Do you get points for passing the TRA assessment?

You get 10 points from having your skill qualification recognised for example if you have an apprenticeship and its recognised by TRA its 10 points.

Your best bet is 457 sponsorship, definitely still possible but as long as the employer meet all the criteria and the costs its just harder to get sponsored now than it was a year or so.

You get 10 points from having your skill qualification recognised for example if you have an apprenticeship and its recognised by TRA its 10 points.

I did a apprenticeship at home, four years but no papers?

What's the story with the 457, can you apply for PR after being on that for awhile or do you have to do another points test?

Thanks for all the info!

I did a apprenticeship at home, four years but no papers?

What's the story with the 457, can you apply for PR after being on that for awhile or do you have to do another points test?

Thanks for all the info!

You would need to contact TRA to see where you stand with a skills assessment not having papers.

You can apply for PR anytime if you meet the criteria doesn't matter about the 457.

457 is really only like a work permit it's not the holy grail most people think it is.

The english language test is not straight forward. There are a few sections to it. For example you will read a simple paragraph and be asked to explain in your own words what a specific part meant etc.

Another part of the test is a picture/diagram (it was of different types ofonions growing in the ground) with all the parts labelled, their names and where they grow. They ask you questions like:
    "Which onion grows the tallest and what country is it from?" or along those lines. It tests not only your reading, but comprehension of what you are reading, how well you understand it and how competent you are to give a clear concise response. There are books available that go through mock tests to prepare you.

It's not an English test to check your spelling ability per se. They cost about $350-$500 to do it.

If you are on a 457 you can apply for any other visa you are eligible for. If that application is successful before the 457 runs its course you get transferred to a new visa. For example if you were on a 457 and got married/de facto and applied for a partner visa and it came through faster, then you would lose the 457 and be on the partner visa.

Ya tbh I don't really fancy having to rely on getting superior English.

I rang TRA again and asked about the points for the apprenticeship and the guy said he didn't know as he wasn't immigration.
    So I rang immigration but gave up after 12 mins on hold (ill email them later)

If they did recognise it it would be great because I think I'd make the 60 points after working a couple of months here with just proficient English.

Thanks for all the help and ill be back when I know more!

Meanwhile I'm going looking for a Aussie girlfriend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

pete4130 wrote: »
    The english language test is not straight forward. There are a few sections to it. For example you will read a simple paragraph and be asked to explain in your own words what a specific part meant etc.

Another part of the test is a picture/diagram (it was of different types ofonions growing in the ground) with all the parts labelled, their names and where they grow. They ask you questions like:
    "Which onion grows the tallest and what country is it from?" or along those lines. It tests not only your reading, but comprehension of what you are reading, how well you understand it and how competent you are to give a clear concise response. There are books available that go through mock tests to prepare you.

Do they ask how to spell "sponsor"? If they do a lot of posters on here are in trouble, must be a dozen threads on here with "sponser" in title. ;)

Advertisement