Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to cook Elk /Moose

Options
  • 04-01-2014 6:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17

Hi there,

I got 5kg of Moose from a friend this morning. Has anyone any links to some recipes for cooking it? Never had it with exception to meatballs and smoked sauage.

Thanks,

Kegs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Just like any other animal, the cooking will depend on the cut. Do you know what cuts you have?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 kegsmcsorley

Minder wrote: »
    Just like any other animal, the cooking will depend on the cut. Do you know what cuts you have?

Yes I have half and half. Shoulder and arse

• Registered Users Posts: 21,468 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've had elk in northern Sweden, and they pretty much treat it the same as beef, so use it in stews, or mince it and use just as minced beef. I even remember eating elk tacos once :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 kegsmcsorley

Yes thats where I got the moose. I was working up in Pajala last week for a few days and a friend of mine killed 4 moose and gave me some meat to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Slow cooker stew or cooked low and slow in the oven after marinating overnight.
    Game is very lean so if roasting I would consider larding the joint.
    I find the easiest way to lard is to cut the lard into little triangles and freeze it.
    Stab the meat liberally with a narrow paring or fillet knife.
    Push the lard into the holes,easier now that it's solid enough to give a good shove.
    Roast covered and finish off with a blast of heat uncovered at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Slow cooker all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

In a slow cooker I would coat the meat pieces in seasoned flour and brown off in a pan before adding to the slow cooker.
    Put in a good layer of chopped carrot, garlic, celery etc. in the bottom of the cooker and sweat off some onion and lob that in there as well.
    Deglaze the pan with red wine or beer of choice, I like Murphys or some Dungarvan Oatmeal Stout as Guinness leaves a flavour my wife and kids don't enjoy. Make up the liquid level with stock and add whatever you like to flavour. Salt, pepper, Oxo cube, stock pot, a little wasabi paste or chili oil, Worcestershire sauce or whatever you fancy trying (not all at once though). The liquids will not reduce so put in a little less than usual.

I often do this bit coming home off night shift and then head off to bed. Get up and dinner is nearly ready.

To finish make up a little roux in a pan, add some of the juice from the cooker to that pan and then add the whole lot back to the slow cooker to thicken up the gravy. The butter adds a little gloss to the whole thing as well.
    (You could use a beurre manie as well but the uncooked flour isn't as nice in my mind)

Serve in deep bowls with crusty bread, or boil up some spuds while you get the roux and stuff done.

Only for I've a chicken to poach for dinner tomorrow, I would defrost some venison now and make me a big pot of stew!

Enjoy the moose ;-)

Advertisement