Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need advice

Options
  • 04-01-2014 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

The employer has addressed the employees that if anyone was late that they would be fired. Can they do this if no one has got a verbal or written warning. Also the employees dont get breaks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

ohbygod wrote: »
    The employer has addressed the employees that if anyone was late that they would be fired. Can they do this if no one has got a verbal or written warning. Also the employees dont get breaks

Are you looking for his blessing for being late?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ohbygod

delaval wrote: »
    Are you looking for his blessing for being late?

No i want to see wat rights i have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

What hours are you working?

WikiHow wrote: »
    What hours are you working?

8 hour shifts with no break 5-6 days a week

• Advertisement

8 hour shifts with no break 5-6 days a week
    Where in China you working?

Where in China you working?

Can i have serious help

Can i have serious help
    Are you seriously telling me you get no breaks?

Are you seriously telling me you get no breaks?

I get no break

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭SK76

The organisation of time act set out what breaks you are entitled to - must get breaks in a shift like that, at least one of which is 30 minutes

• Advertisement

I get no break
    What sector you work in?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Junglewoman

What industry are you working in?

Private

This cant be true, no breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

Private

You're not providing much information.

How long are you working there?
    What kind of work is it?
    How many are working there?
    Do they get breaks?
    Do you have some kind of union or rep body?
    Have you asked for a break?
    Was there a reason given for denying you a break?

Etc etc

Im with a union i work on my own so i dont get breaks ive been with the company for 10 years. The issue is not about the breaks its about can they fire an employee for being late with no written or verbal warning

Im with a union i work on my own so i dont get breaks ive been with the company for 10 years. The issue is not about the breaks its about can they fire an employee for being late with no written or verbal warning
    Do you not get hungry at all during the day? what about toilet breaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Junglewoman

You should have access to a copy of your company's grievance procedures, ask to see it if you weren't given a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

Have you bot been getting breaks for the past 10 years?

It seems they could fire you or refuse you your entitlements. They are doing it already.

At least you're making a start now in seeking information. But in this case I'd go to a solicitor....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Tell your Union rep. You situation is what a Union is for surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

People - let's focus on the question that the OP is asking, and let him/her take the breaks issue up with NERA separately. /mod-note

OP, I believe they can, provided they've warned you that being late is considered to be so serious that it's a sacking offense.

Now, there may be a case to answer (is the punishment proportionate to the seriousness) - which a half-decent lawyer could argue either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

There is no legal requirement for warnings before a firing.

They will find it difficult to defend a wrongful termination having not given warnings but that will not change the fact of being fired ,will possibly give you grounds for compensation if you took a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Seriously, there's no point in paying union dues if they're not helping you out with this kind of thing.

Your boss is effectively saying that being late is gross misconduct. Personally, I would consider that to be quite harsh, but I don't know what job you do, and the courts don't give a crap what I think anyway.

If it gets to that stage, you've the right to appeal. You have a right to have a witness present at any disciplinary procedures - again, this is what you're paying your union for.

Eoin wrote: »
    Seriously, there's no point in paying union dues if they're not helping you out with this kind of thing.

Your boss is effectively saying that being late is gross misconduct. Personally, I would consider that to be quite harsh, but I don't know what job you do, and the courts don't give a crap what I think anyway.

If it gets to that stage, you've the right to appeal. You have a right to have a witness present at any disciplinary procedures - again, this is what you're paying your union for.
    I havent been sacked or had any warning just wanted to no where i stood if something was 2 happened

I realise that - I'm telling you what the options are if it does come to that.

If your employer is making threats like that; then the union should be trying to sort this out before it comes to a head.

PS - no text speak please!

Eoin wrote: »
    I realise that - I'm telling you what the options are if it does come to that.

If your employer is making threats like that; then the union should be trying to sort this out before it comes to a head.

PS - no text speak please!

Why cant i text speak

Because it's not allowed here.

Advertisement