Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Think my dog has a cold!

• 04-01-2014 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭

I think my dog has a cold. It sounds like she is coughing and sneezing. I just wondered if there is anything I can do for her at home(otc etc) as dont want to have to bring her to the vet for a cold as wouldn't go the GP with a cold for myself :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Possibly canine cough aka kennel cough, generally self-limitimg but it is highly contagious to other dogs - and cats! It may be severe enough to warrant an antibiotic and dexmethasone. It is a bacterial infection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

She hasn't been in a kennel since August but always has her yearly vac for KC.
    So I dont think it could be that, Could she still get KC after being vaccinated?
    The dog next door gets into the yard sometimes and I doubt its had any reg vac's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Yes she can, and she can pick it up outside of a kennel environment.

That's if it is kennel cough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

If it is Kennel cough as Boomerang mentioned, generally if the animal has a sound immune system it will clear by itself in 10-14 days. The cough sounds awful though. Some childs benylin or manuka honey will help a little.

If he seems lethargic, off his food etc then straight to a vet and if the cough persists longer than 2 weeks then you should go to the vet regardless as he may need an antibiotic as mentioned or it could be something completely different like allergies.

Is he vaccinated? If he has a high temp,vomiting or nasal/eye discharge it could be early signs of canine distemper either.

The main thing is to watch him like a hawk for the next few days and if there's any disimprovement bar the coughing then don't take any chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My fella had a running nose, was sneezing a little and was a bit quiet, a few months back. I happened to bump into my vet and he asked how the animals were, so I told him, he said dogs can get colds, it should be gone in a few days, only to worry if he's off his food or water, or develops a cough.

If your dogs is coughing it can be kennel cough even if they are vacc'd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

She has all her vacs and is generally well. Its not really a cough as I would imagine KC would sound(pardon the pun but its not a barking cough). She doesn't seem too bad today. She has no temp and was running about earlier and has eaten. She is a husky and is 9 so I reckon I'll just give her some honey as suggested and wait and see how she goes.
    Thanks for the advice folks :)

Advertisement