Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting Xbox to TV

Options
  • 04-01-2014 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

I've got an older LCD TV that I want to connect an Xbox 360 to using component cables. However, there's only 3 inputs at the rear of the TV, as shown in the photo, but I've got 6 leads on the component cable. I've tried different combinations, but none seem to work.

Am I wasting my time? Is there another cable or adapter that could work?

Thanks.

20stvzn.jpg

34drfbr.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭cml387

There should be a red white and yellow connector in a separate bunch to the red/green/blue.

Plug the red white and yellow connectors into the sockets on the television. The televsion needs to be set to EXT.

Also ther's a switch at the XBOX end of the cable, needs to be switched (can't remember which way.)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

Yes, there is another lead you could use, Its one that goes from Xbox to the "Blue" fitting you see on the TV, I just can't think of the name of it, but I will have a look around and let you know.... It may be composite cable:o I'm sure the knowledgey guys will be alon soon to set you straight

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

paddyk wrote: »
    Yes, there is another lead you could use, Its one that goes from Xbox to the "Blue" fitting you see on the TV, I just can't think of the name of it, but I will have a look around and let you know.... It may be composite cable:o I'm sure the knowledgey guys will be alon soon to set you straight

No that's the VGA, you will get picture but no sound using that.

If your 360 has a HDMI port I reckon the best was is get a cheap HDMI cable for about a fiver in Aldi or similar and then look for an HDMI to SCART adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

paddyk wrote: »

Not the cable I was looking for, but have a read of this

http://store.apple.com/ie/question/answers/product/MC748ZM/A/what-is-the-difference-between-component-av-cable-and-composite-av-cable/QDH9KCCC9YJTADKKY
    Best Answer

The Composite AV has 3 connections to your TV - the combined video signal and audio left and right. The Component AV cable has 3 connectors for video (separated into Red, Blue and Green signals to produce a better picture) and the left and right audio connectors.

Most older TVs that have AV inputs will have a set of composite inputs as will as some HDTVs, but typically only HDTVs have the Component inputs. Check your TVs inputs to see what you need. If the input on the TV has only 3 connectors (yellow, white and red) it is composite and if there are 5 connectors in the input grouping together you need the component cable.

Found this one. This is what I used with an older TV. It is an Xbox VGA cable.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view?p=XBOX+VGA+cable&back=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fcs%3Fei%3DUTF-8%26p%3DXBOX%2BVGA%2Bcable%26cap_type%3Dshortcuts%253A%252Fconcept%252Fmlprisma%26fr%3Dcsc_answers_us&w=450&h=450&imgurl=www.bombayharbor.com%2FproductImage%2F0730852001241836153%2FXbox360_Vga_Cable.jpg&size=45KB&name=Xbox360_Vga_Cable.jpg&rcurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.erodov.com%2Fforums%2Fxbox-component-hd-cable-will-make-difference%2F44069.html&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.erodov.com%2Fforums%2Fxbox-component-hd-cable-will-make-difference%2F44069.html&type=&no=2&tt=115&oid=aaa4bfbe60acf14b9ff5c47065d57f80&tit=vga+cable+an+xbox+360+vga+cable+looks+like+this&sigr=12kr0m9l4&sigi=12bk75mag&sigb=13hvkp1ud&fr=csc_answers_us

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭cml387

As I said in post 2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

He's right, based on the pictures red and white and yellow on the lead you have the picture will be terrible.

The VGA (blue port) connection is the best you can hope for and actually it's decent enough quality wise, massive step up vs how you are going to connect it now.

As said with vga there is no sound but in this case it's only have true, and vga cable you get for xbox will have red and white connectors that plug into the ones on the TV as in the picture except with VGA you will not be using the yellow one, instead you will be plugging into the blue one.

Pity you are so far away think I actually have one knocking around here somewhere.

Edit: Actually the pic Padyk linked to in the other post of the xbox vga cable is just what you need, will work fine on that TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

like cml387 said.

You have 6 cables.

Your TV does not have component video input so the cables with the red, green and blue tips will be of no use to you. Which probably means that is not HD compatible either. So you will have to stick to SD (standard definition) formats.

All you can use is the full red and white, as well as the yellow tip cables. Red and White carry the audio and yellow the composite video.

You can buy an adaptor and connect it to the scart port but I see no point as the end result will be the same as with the composite cable. The resolution will be either 480i or 576i.

I dont think using the VGA port will give you a better resolution (if you are lucky 800x600) but IMO is unlikely and you most likely end up with 640x480.

My opinion is use the composite and RCA connectors (red, white and yellow), that is as good as is going to get.

Again, your TV is not HD so no matter what you will not get any higher than 576i. I wouldnt waste my time buying adaptors. If in the end you want to use the VGA input connect the RCA (white and red) cables to the white and red inputs on your tv (it is likely that it will allow the audio to passthrough if you are using the VGA connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Bohrio wrote: »
    like cml387 said.

You have 6 cables.

Your TV does not have component video input so the cables with the red, green and blue tips will be of no use to you. Which probably means that is not HD compatible either. So you will have to stick to SD (standard definition) formats.

All you can use is the full red and white, as well as the yellow tip cables. Red and White carry the audio and yellow the composite video.

You can buy an adaptor and connect it to the scart port but I see no point as the end result will be the same as with the composite cable. The resolution will be either 480i or 576i.

I dont think using the VGA port will give you a better resolution (if you are lucky 800x600) but IMO is unlikely and you most likely end up with 640x480.

My opinion is use the composite and RCA connectors (red, white and yellow), that is as good as is going to get.

Again, your TV is not HD so no matter what you will not get any higher than 576i. I wouldnt waste my time buying adaptors. If in the end you want to use the VGA input connect the RCA (white and red) cables to the white and red inputs on your tv (it is likely that it will allow the audio to passthrough if you are using the VGA connection.

OP should get at least 720p on a VGA cable , of course depends on the TV but on my old TV I had the xbox set at 1360x768

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

calex71 wrote: »
    OP should get at least 720p on a VGA cable , of course depends on the TV but on my old TV I had the xbox set at 1360x768

He could but is very unlikely as he doesnt even have a component input. Also I noticed he also has a SVHS input, this one as well has a maximum resolution of 480i or 420 lines.

If we knew what the model was we should be able to tell him.

My older LCD tv would not go any higher than 800x600 (SVGA). Anything higher than 1024x768 will be considered XGA. The resolution you mention 1360x768 is more precisly WXGA and although you can use a VGA connector it was used on cheaper LCDs and computer monitors but only on widescreen tvs as that resolution is 16:9. If this TV is 4:3 (easy to tell if it shaped more like a box than a rectangle) I am afraid his resolution will be likely 1024x768. But then again, I have the feeling that this TV might not support neither resolutions. So before spending money the OP should try to google his tv and find out its specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

Thanks for the help guys.

Connecting the red, white and yellow and switching the cable from hd to non-hd sorted me out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement