Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No "evidence" required for written warning?

Options
  • 04-01-2014 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey Guys, I could use a bit of help, here's a bit of background.

I work for a big name company and moved to Ireland about 6 Months ago. (I'm loving it here :p) I had the same Job in Germany (since Dec '11), but the department shut down and offered to hire those willing to move. I applied, got the job, and moved to Ireland.

Once I arrived, me and a few colleagues noticed that the Managers hired were a bunch of "New Hires" to the business themselves, making me and my colleagues the ones with the most experience. Therefore we also ended up coaching/training the other new hires (which wasn't a problem, we were told that that is bound to happen) and I eventually got a new Team Leader, who didn't even introduce himself.

A few weeks later, things were slowly getting a bit calmer, the new hires were gaining loads of experience and me and the "original" crew weren't under as much stress anymore, especially me, since I do tend to have a few anxiety issues. One day though, I received a letter that me and my TL are to have a meeting with HR due to "behavioural issues", I was told I could bring a colleague along as a witness (which I didn't do, since I seriously did not want to drag anybody into whatever I was about to face)

So the meeting happened, and my jaw literally dropped when I was told that they were accusing me of being "unapproachable" to the new hires and that they seemed hesitant to actually come up to me and ask questions...that I was rude and my behaviour was unacceptable.
    I was dumbstruck. :eek:
    I asked for names, which they of course would not give out but they also would not (or could not) provide me any details of any kind of incident, leaving me totally unaware of what supposedly happened. I was told these complaints were raised directly by the new hires, but I simply cannot understand why, since I've never been unfriendly to any of my colleagues.

It's all done and over with, I received the "written warning" and everything, but it still bothers me endlessly not knowing what exactly I did wrong.
    So I guess my true question is, can they seriously just give me a written warning without any sort of proof? Do they truly have the right to accuse me?

Ever since this incident I fear that I might get fired... I don't even enjoy going to work anymore since I don't know who might be lying in my face or when the next "behavioural issue" letter might come through. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Junglewoman

Appeal the decision if you are unhappy and refer to the company's grievance procedures to make sure the stages were correctly followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

exactly, appeal the decision for sure. you need more help to know what went wrong if (and i'm not saying it does) something needs to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Junglewoman

The first meeting should have been part of the investigation in to the allegations rather than your being accused as you say you were.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Always, Always, Always. ..... bring a witness.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

are they trying to get rid of the older better paid staff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Epi

Moonbeam wrote: »
    are they trying to get rid of the older better paid staff?

Like I said, I didn't bring a witness out of fear that they might get pulled into something that isn't their issue... But I do regret it now.

And no, they're not trying to get rid of the older employees... Fact is that some of the older ones receive less than the new hires, who I guess bargained themselves up after their interviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Appeal the decision there's not a huge amount you can do other than keep it on file in case you're sacked at which point if this is used as part of that they will be on very thin ice.

The ability to make a complaint and not have the person complained of seek retribution has to be balanced against the need for you to be in a position to defend yourself. Frankly, we've only your side of it but it looks like your employer has got this wrong in this instance.

Get in contact with a decent employment solicitor. It shouldn't cost more than a good meal or night out and might be well worth it if things carry on the way they are.

Advertisement