Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Meat, No Money !

Options
  • 04-01-2014 8:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭

Heres the deal ! I have 100 euro which I need to keep for petrol/kids back to school on Monday. I don't get paid till 26 jan and credit card maxed out due to Christmas. I have 500 due next Friday for a job I did in November and all bills are up to date. So to last me and her and 2 kids till next Friday is...
    Full Dry store
    5kg spuds
    3 lb carrots
    3 nets of onions
    1 lb mushrooms
    2 heads cabbage
    1 cauliflower
    parsnips
    cheese lots of
    packet sauses any amount of
    and I have fruit, Frozen bread/milk and enough stuff for kids lunches etc
    I even have 3 selection boxes stashed for when they get uppity !
    What I want is tasty meals without meat ! Because I don't have any !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I posted this link on the Cooking Frugally thread, but it applies here too!
    www.supercook.com If you write in what you have, it will give you loads of recipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Vegetable curry is an obvious one, as well as pasta with a tomato based sauce. Pasta and pesto + cheese.

You could also go with cheesy potato gratin, and cheese, garlic and breadcrumb-stuffed mushrooms.

If you have a food processor or grater you could make nice coleslaws out of carrots/cabbage/apples etc.

If you have fat and flour you could make a cheesy vegetable pie.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Any sort of vegetable fritters are great. Smitten Kitchen has some nice fritter recipes. You could serve with salad or spuds.

How are you getting on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

finix wrote: »
    Heres the deal ! I have 100 euro which I need to keep for petrol/kids back to school on Monday. I don't get paid till 26 jan and credit card maxed out due to Christmas. I have 500 due next Friday for a job I did in November and all bills are up to date. So to last me and her and 2 kids till next Friday is...
    Full Dry store
    5kg spuds
    3 lb carrots
    3 nets of onions
    1 lb mushrooms
    2 heads cabbage
    1 cauliflower
    parsnips
    cheese lots of
    packet sauses any amount of
    and I have fruit, Frozen bread/milk and enough stuff for kids lunches etc
    I even have 3 selection boxes stashed for when they get uppity !
    What I want is tasty meals without meat ! Because I don't have any !

Stews, soups spring to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

dipdip wrote: »
    How are you getting on?

getting on fine, No meat is not a hardship and the kids have said nothing ! A lot of people are worse off than me. I could happily do without meat for weeks on end (But not for ever ! ):)

Glad to hear it! But I meant, what have you been cooking? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

Got money, Ran amok in the meat section, Stuffed pork steak tonight with pepper sauce, BBQ Spare ribs to start and got 4 cans of Carlsberg to sip while watching tv later and a bottle of red for herself !:)

Advertisement