Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sole trader or employee?

Options
  • 04-01-2014 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

I am a sole trader but getting too old for it so was thinking of taking an Intern. Under Internship rules the firm must have 1 employee paying tax & PRSI which I do.
    Am I an employee?
    The other option is to close.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

seanoge wrote: »
    I am a sole trader but getting too old for it so was thinking of taking an Intern. Under Internship rules the firm must have 1 employee paying tax & PRSI which I do.
    Am I an employee?
    The other option is to close.

You would be considered a proprietor as opposed to an employee.

I think you're talking about Jobbridge rules for internships.
    You don't have to go through Jobbridge, you can employ anybody as an intern and just pay them travel expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭seanoge

Thanks Gloomtastic!, but cannot find anything on FAS site. Has the scheme got a name?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Job bridge is a specific scheme. You dont need to go through a scheme to hire an intern but you said you are too old for it and going to hire an intern? You hardly plan to hire an intern and then expect them to run and manage the business or do a lot of the work and then just give them travel expenses? Would you not consider just hiring someone properly if that's the case and train them in to run the business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

It might be worth talking to the Enterprise Officer at your local Employment Services Office, as you seem to have a decent opportunity for someone to learn your trade and take over your operation. It could very well suit someone on the BTWEA or even STEA scheme. The only caveat is that it probably needs a bit of creative thinking on the part of the Enterprise Officer but some of them are very progressive.

I am in the tourism section and I built the business up over 17 years but lost interest the last couple of years so it just about pays for it's self. We can get foreigners to work for free so that they can learn the language but have never gone down that road. Would like someone to build it back up and then maybe lease it out as it has very good prospects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I am in the tourism section and I built the business up over 17 years but lost interest the last couple of years so it just about pays for it's self. We can get foreigners to work for free so that they can learn the language but have never gone down that road. Would like someone to build it back up and then maybe lease it out as it has very good prospects.

For christ sake man PAYsomeone for working for you, instead of getting foreigners to work for free or looking to take advantage of some poor bastard intern to do your work for you, no wonder this country is the way it is with the likes of you around:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

I have advised you to talk to the Enterprise Officer at your local ESO, you could talk to the Jobbridge people at your local social welfare office or you could stick it up for sale or lease on donedeal.ie/adverts.ie.

Shamrock55: we do not advertise or ask them. It's the way the system works. Never heard of WOOFers? Have you tried employing someone? Paying their taxes, PRSI etc?

Also in the coming weeks we will be getting emails from French colleges asking us to take one of their students for a couple of weeks at no cost to us so they can improve their English. There is plenty of "free" labour out there. That's the way it worked before I ever got into the business.

Advertisement