Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

back to education allowance and dropping out of college due to illness

Options
  • 04-01-2014 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭

I figure i'd throw it up and see if anyone has been through similar. I'm in the second year of level 8 degree having previously done a different level 7 and am receiving back to education allowance. I've been quite ill since September to the point i dont think i can carry on this year. The college was ok with me returning in September. Does anyone know if i can go leave until September and then again receive the back to education allowance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

ronano wrote: »
    I figure i'd throw it up and see if anyone has been through similar. I'm in the second year of level 8 degree having previously done a different level 7 and am receiving back to education allowance. I've been quite ill since September to the point i dont think i can carry on this year. The college was ok with me returning in September. Does anyone know if i can go leave until September and then again receive the back to education allowance.

Talk to DSP. If the college are ok with it you stand a decent chance with DSP but definitely speak to them before you leave. Illness is something you cant control and if you get a half decent ESO then they should be able to help you out as long as you have certified medical evidence to back you up.

The BTEA operational guidelines say:
    1.14.8 Drop out of course

A BTEA participant who fails to complete, or drops out of a course will not be permitted on to the scheme to pursue a different course unless the Department is satisfied that certain circumstances pertain. The condition may be waived where there are mitigating circumstances, for which evidence must be provided, that would make it unreasonable to expect a person to have continued the course. Recovery of amounts paid may be considered.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cairdre

Hi

It is really important to talk to your course head and see can you defer the remainder of the year. If you drop out now you may be liable for course fees if you return in Sept.

Get well soon.

C

Advertisement