Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best entry level mountain bike?

• 04-01-2014 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if ye could recommend an entry level hardtail for mountain biking........I'm going to try and source a 2nd hand bike and hope to pay somewhere between €300 - 450 ish. I don't know much about mountain bikes.
    Bikes that I have seen so far in my price range are:

Rockhopper
    Carrera Kraken
    Kross A8
    Cube Acid

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Claxxix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CSteven88

Cube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭no1murray

Entry level frames are pretty much the same. If your going to be going off road its the fork that is the limiting factor. Should be at least a silver recon or an air spung for from another manufacturer. Stay away from anything with an sr suntour fork. The basic shimano hydraulic discs are perfect they come on a lot of entry level bikes, look for theseShould be able to get a good enough quality second hand bike for around 500. Anything less wont stand up to off road riding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

I know your looking to buy second hand but if you consider buying new with a warranty for that sort of money. I implore you to get one of these http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-two-two-alloy-hardtail-mountain-bike-p275612, they are the cats pyjamas for the money and GO Outdoor will deliver them to your door for €420. If you pick up this months MBUK Magazine they have a great review of it in there and I have heard nothing but good things from everywhere else.

From the list of second hand stuff, the Acid and Rockhopper would be your safest bets. Just be caution though, if you go to look at a second hand bike give it a good look over...Work the fork and see if any rusty looking junk comes out, make sure the frame and wheels and straight and without cracks. And if you can take it for a spin and listen for nasty noises, ride it off a high kerb if you can and hope it doesn't break in half :p

Advertisement