Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Fibre Broadband Ennis

• 04-01-2014 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Thinking of changing provider (contract is up) and just wondered if anyone has experience of E-Fibre in Ennis.

Any problems? What speeds are you getting?

Was the internal wiring updated or just a new modem plugged in?

Would you recommend Vodafone or Eircom?

Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭swoofer

who are you with at present? and how close are you to the nearest efibre cabinet? and whereabouts in ennis?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If you already have a provider any service you get will be the same for all of them as it's all off the same infrastructure.

Personally, I'm with Vodafone, €35 a month for broadband only, I'm just over a km from the exchange and I'm getting a consistent 24mbs, had a lot of hassle when I got it first, but I think that was mainly an infrastructure issue. Vodafone on here are good customer service, on the phone they are good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

I'm currently on the Sky Trial (€10 a month) ending on 02/02/2013 so not fibre, I think there's a cabinet right outside my house near the West County but going on the Eircom line test the most I'll be able to achieve is 40mbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭hatetherain!

Thanks for posting this question Claregirl I was going to post the same one!
    I'm near the west County also and was thinking of getting EFibre or Sky broadband.
    I want to get netflix and was wondering does anyone know what speed you need to be able to stream netflix successfully?
    Currently only have O2 dongle as we moved house and that contract I'd up end of January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

E-Fibre is good, mates of mine have it and no problems so far.

I however have Magnet. No phone line, no contract, 70mb / unlimited downloads for €49 a month.

Well you need a phone line, but you don't need a phone line as in a number and stuff and they don't charge you anything other than the flat broadband fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭hatetherain!

CaptnSterrn ... Thanks! Does ur mate stream netflix?????
    €50 .... It's a little on the steep side or I am just being unrealistic for what I want?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Thanks for posting this question Claregirl I was going to post the same one!
    I'm near the west County also and was thinking of getting EFibre or Sky broadband.
    I want to get netflix and was wondering does anyone know what speed you need to be able to stream netflix successfully?
    Currently only have O2 dongle as we moved house and that contract I'd up end of January.

No sign yet of Sky offering EFibre as yet which is why I'm leaning more towards Eircom / Vodafone. Currently getting 2.57mb with Sky (speedtest.net).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

CaptnSterrn ... Thanks! Does ur mate stream netflix?????
    €50 .... It's a little on the steep side or I am just being unrealistic for what I want?

Netflix recommend a minimum of 2Mb download. VDSL will give you this anyway so you should not have an issue watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

Im with Vodafone, haven't checked speeds recently, but am more than happy with what i'm getting.

This post from last May when I got fibre installed showed I was getting 67Mb/s speeds at the time. I don't think the speeds have dropped any since.
    johnam wrote: »
    I'm in Ennis, approx 150 meters from the nearest cabinet and was told by Vodafone my line could handle 70Mb/s. I had been getting 2734116872.pngup until monday morning when I got switched over, now I'm getting 2734353166.pngwith a 16MB/s upload.

According to Speedtest.net that is faster than 97% of the country.... Happy out:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭swoofer

opposite the west county is abbeycourt and inside on the right is the VDSL cabinet so the nearer you are the faster the speed. Look at VF as I consider them the cheapest and once fibre is set up you are good to go. Netflix will fly with fibre.

I am about 800m from cabinet and get 38mb down and 8mb up. pings are worse mind you but i can live with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

if you're gonna be streaming netflix, it's more important that you have a good download allowance (preferably unlimited) than a high speed connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Conar

On the Tulla Rd with 50mb down and 20 up (500m from the cabinet) . Pings around 25 to 30ms.
    Unlimitted with Vodafone for €35 per month on a 12 month contract. I'd highly recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Mr. G wrote: »
    Netflix recommend a minimum of 2Mb download. VDSL will give you this anyway so you should not have an issue watching it.

We both have it and use it daily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Conar

3211618872.png

BTW to answer the OP's question, they may need to replace the faceplate in the house where the line plugs in. They didn't need to in mine as it was newish and the type required.
    Go with vodafone as they're cheaper unless you want Eircoms TV package.

Advertisement