Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staffordshire bull terrier

• 04-01-2014 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi I'm very interested in this breed but never had one but had other dogs .
    I would appreciate if any one has info on events or shows that are on in Dublin in the near future like breed shows or weight pulling competitions anything to do with staffordshire bull terriers:cool: .im based in Dublin .
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

look up ipbta web site they organize athletics and weight pull events for mainly bull breeds but all breeds are welcome and irish canine athletics again mostly bull breeds but all breeds welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

A lady in our agility club runs 2 staffies, one is learning but one is experienced and does really well, they love the agility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

I'd love a little staffy :) Brilliant dogs in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

It's worth noting that they are on the restricted breed list, so will need to be muzzled in public and probably won't be allowed play in most dog parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Staffy's are great dogs, very smart, obedient and fantastic with people, even more so, fantastic with young children, they are also known as the "nanny" dog.

It is just sad they are on the restricted breed list, but! There is a campaign to try have the legislation changed (sig for more details)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭d0gb0y

Highly recommend the breed, they are great little characters.
    If you are thinking of getting one try the various dog charities as they have a very high chance of being put down so not only do you get a great dog but you will save it from being put down.
    They take time to get used to as even though they are small dog they have a high energy level(especially males).
    Do not get one unless you are willing to do daily walks/exercise as they really need it and it really helps reduce any aggresive tendencies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

It's worth noting that they are on the restricted breed list, so will need to be muzzled in public and probably won't be allowed play in most dog parks.

It's not worth noting. Why even say it, I'm sure the OP is well aware and in 20 years of owning bull breeds I've never been stopped walking my dog in any park and never owned a muzzle either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

It's not worth noting. Why even say it, I'm sure the OP is well aware and in 20 years of owning bull breeds I've never been stopped walking my dog in any park and never owned a muzzle either.

Have two of the with 15 years and never had a problem walking them.

Absolutely brilliant temprement!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Its worth noting because its the law...

Doom wrote: »
    Its worth noting because its the law...

The OP didn't ask about the law though, they asked about clubs etc

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Go back to sleep Billy!

Doom wrote: »
    Go back to sleep Billy!

Too busy to sleep :(

Try two Rotties :<

I was out the other day (and it is a common thing) walking the pair of them, (note, they both have tails and are about 8 months now), this woman walks up "Oh, they are gorgeous, how old are they" yadda yadda, rubbing them and they are loving it, then she asks "what are they", I said Rottweilers, she took a step back and went "Oh, you are brave"........ people are idiots. Oh yea, and I don't use a muzzle either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

I agree that the OP's wording is open to interpretation but it seems to me that he asked "if any one has info on [...] anything to do with staffordshire bull terriers".

I'm not one to suggest following every silly law, but it's worth knowing them. Many people aren't aware of the restricted breed list. I only came to learn of it last year when researching what dog to get and it was the reason I didn't end up getting a bullmastiff. There's a dog park right across the road from my house and I had intended on bringing my new dog there. But after realising that many of the other dog owners would not want me there with a bullmastiff I changed my decision.

Karlitto wrote: »
    Try two Rotties :<

I was out the other day (and it is a common thing) walking the pair of them, (note, they both have tails and are about 8 months now), this woman walks up "Oh, they are gorgeous, how old are they" yadda yadda, rubbing them and they are loving it, then she asks "what are they", I said Rottweilers, she took a step back and went "Oh, you are brave"........ people are idiots. Oh yea, and I don't use a muzzle either

Never forget one time when I had an APBT and staffy and we were out in the garden ( completely controlled) and some oul biddy was walking by and said it was a disgrace that my nephews were allowed out in the garden with them dogs. Now I've the Dogo (soon to be two) people are interested but they keep a distance! Wouldn't mind bar my little staffy he's the most predictable and placid dog I've had.

I agree that the OP's wording is open to interpretation but it seems to me that he asked "if any one has info on [...] anything to do with staffordshire bull terriers".

I'm not one to suggest following every silly law, but it's worth knowing them. Many people aren't aware of the restricted breed list. I only came to learn of it last year when researching what dog to get and it was the reason I didn't end up getting a bullmastiff. There's a dog park right across the road from my house and I had intended on bringing my new dog there. But after realising that many of the other dog owners would not want me there with a bullmastiff I changed my decision.

Hate dog parks and they are full of disease! Wouldn't let other owners ignorance decide what breed of dog I have either. Get it a lot now with my Dogo who's always 100% under control while they're dogs run around barking at everyone and everything!

Never forget one time when I had an APBT and staffy and we were out in the garden ( completely controlled) and some oul biddy was walking by and said it was a disgrace that my nephews were allowed out in the garden with them dogs. Now I've the Dogo (soon to be two) people are interested but they keep a distance! Wouldn't mind bar my little staffy he's the most predictable and placid dog I've had.

Yea, I would have told him/her where to go, I have no time for ignorance.

For example, I cannot wait till the two girls are fully grown and some gobsheen walking their handbag dog, sees mine and picks it up as they walk by, I am going to pick one of mine up and loudly say "it's ok, the little rat won't hurt you", hehehe

But in all seriousness, TV has influenced people too much into thinking X dog is vicious and aggressive, hence why I am part of the unmuzzled campaign, it is always a rottie, Doberman, mastiff that is the "aggressive guard dog" and staffs, pits, bulldogs who are the "fighting dogs", and because people turn into sheep from watching TV, they think that's the way they actually are.

Advertisement