Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs - I'm a little confused...

Options
  • 04-01-2014 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hey there! :)

I recently ordered some stuff (mostly clothes, some props) from the USA - the shipping method I chose is called MSI International Parcel (Customs Duties Free).

To me this basically sounds like "no customs have to be paid", (it's a fairly expensive shipping method, but still cheaper than customs).

I've ordered there some months ago already and didn't have to pay any customs at all, therefore this was actually sure that I understood this correctly.
    However I'm a little confused now, when I track my order there is a step called "Customs cleared" - this step doesn't appear when I track my first order.

Now I'm a little confused - does this mean I do have to pay customs this time or simply that it has been checked (and nothing need to be payed)?
    I should probably add that the first order has been shipped from California, the second one from Michigan, I've also attached some screenshots.

The values of the two orders are (copied from the e-mail):

order #1:
    Subtotal $220.00
    Shipping & Handling $93.40
    Grand Total (Excl.Tax) $313.40
    Tax $0.00
    Grand Total (Incl.Tax) $313.40

order #2:
    Subtotal $296.99
    Shipping & Handling $113.90
    Grand Total (Excl.Tax) $410.89

So...is there maybe anyone who can tell me more? I'm seriously confused right now.
    Thanks for reading!

Cheers,

Fyda

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

The shipping and handling fee is where the duty and vat has been added. A lot of us retailers give this option now. It means the items are precleared and duty/vat is paid by the shipping company.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Fyda

Ah, alrighty. :)
    That's great to hear, thanks a million!

Advertisement