Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice re back garden

• 05-01-2014 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice re my back garden. We have a decent sized garden but the grass is pretty much dead in different patches around the garden. This was caused by builders who were working on the house leaving stuff out there.

They put down seed but nothing has happened with this.

The other problem is that the earth is full of stones in it.

Would anyone have any advice as to what to do? I know I could rotovate it and pick the stones and then compact it and put down rolls or seed.

IS there anything else that can be done? Also is there a right or wrong time to do it. Is this a bad time?

Thanks

CBTC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭macraignil

There are a lot of plants to grow more interesting than grass. Most soil has stones and they help with drainage so I do not see the advantage of removing them from somewhere that you are not continuously digging like a vegetable patch, or if they are on the surface and might damage your lawn mower. Fruit trees particularly ones that yield fruit you would like to eat are one possability, but you will have to consider what you want to use your garden for before deciding what to plant. It is a good time of year to plant trees, but make sure to support them well with posts to protect them from strong winds before they become strong enough to support themselves. If you don't like gardening maybe some paving and an area of hard landscaping for outdoor seating or access to a clothes line for drying your washing might be suitable. The options are only limited by your imagination and budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

give it a rake to take out the big stones,if your left with a hollow fill it with soil from a different part of the garden.maybe a bit more seed is needed prob to cold to drop seed atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

No point sowing seed till March April time, and don't bother watering it, sow it and wait for the rain to do the job more natural and the grass doesn't become dependant on being watered then (an old gardening trick)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If builders threw some seed on it you can be sure it needs to be dug over and all the rubbish removed, which is probably what is under the bald patches. If its not rubbish it is very likely completely compacted areas where machinery has been. Other possibilities, spilled chemicals, oil or concrete. Builders build houses, they are not great gardeners :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi anyphotos of your project.jack

• Advertisement
Advertisement