Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Qatar

Options
  • 05-01-2014 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I'm lady in 40s (single) and I've been offered job with Hamad Medical Corporation in Qatar. I'm just wondering what it's like to live there and any tips for someone moving there?? Also I hear is very hot there-is it humid as well??

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

I've only traveled there on business so never lived there permanently. It gets hot and humid from about May to September, 90% humidity up to 50 deg celcius at the height of summer June - August.

Qatar has come on a lot from what I have seen in the last year or two even. Good money on offer tax free is always an incentive, easy access to Dubai/Abu Dhabi for weekend breaks. There is usually a lively expat scene in these places that you wouldn't realise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Hi OP,

I've lived in Qatar for the last 17 months. The pace of life is very relaxed and sedate here, both outside and inside the office! It's a nice place although it's very much a construction site at the moment - it's lacking in amenities and infrastructure in many respects. In 10 years time it will probably be akin to Dubai but as of right now it's crane central. If Dubai is a world city, Doha is a sleepy town.

As for the heat, it's generally extremely hot from march - october, although right now it's 12 degrees! It isn't too big a problem though, as most shops etc are mall-based and every building and car is air conditioned. During the summer, however, especially for the month of Ramadan, it's not worth trying to sunbathe or even to be out in the heat for longer than 10 mins. It can get extremely humid too, especially if you're somewhere such as The Pearl man-made island.

In general I would say that Qatar is fine if you want to move for 18-24 months, save a few bob, and head somewhere else. In contrast, I think somewhere like Dubai would be a more permanent destination as it has a lot more going on.

Let me know if you have any other questions. It's also probably worth mentioning what kind of offer you have been given and what perks are included, then I can let you know if you're being ripped off or not :D

Advertisement