Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jurys Inn - now Limerick City Hotel?

• 05-01-2014 1:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Folks,

When did Jurys Inn become Limerick City Hotel? Just noticed it while driving past today?

MtM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭djdunny

it was sold just over a month ago. I rember there was also 2 other well know properties that were sold but cannot find the info at the moment.

here is the link relating to the sale of Jurys

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/commercial-property/jurys-inn-hotel-in-limerick-sells-for-close-to-3m-1.1608189

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭djdunny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭touts

So now if a tourist googles "Limerick City Hotel" this one hotel pops to the top of the search. I'd imagine every other hotel in the city will be hopping bad about this re-branding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

touts wrote: »
    So now if a tourist googles "Limerick City Hotel" this one hotel pops to the top of the search. I'd imagine every other hotel in the city will be hopping bad about this re-branding.

That is not how SEO works.

For instance when I search Limerick City Hotel with google the strand comes up first.

It depends on hundreds of factors and having your website named Limerick City Hotel is just one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

aN.Droid wrote: »
    That is not how SEO works.

For instance when I search Limerick City Hotel with google the strand comes up first.

It depends on hundreds of factors and having your website named Limerick City Hotel is just one of them.

Its the first one for me!

With the strand and savoy below the news section

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

It's the 1st of the sponsored results (Ads, in other words).
    The Strand Hotel is the 1st 'ordinary' result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Let's see how it goes for them google results or not. They were handy on price for a cheap night for people like me coming into town. If they put their price up even €1 then they're out.

Off to the pier where, if you're lucky, you can also get free parking for €39

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Rubbish name but I suppose they might think it'll work in their favour on Google.

The website for the hotel shows rooms in the North Star Hotel in Dublin so I imagine it might be the same owners.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Let's see how it goes for them google results or not. They were handy on price for a cheap night for people like me coming into town. If they put their price up even €1 then they're out.

Off to the pier where, if you're lucky, you can also get free parking for €39
    Plus a residents bar and the city literally at your door step. The pier wins hands down

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Munstermad

Plus a residents bar and the city literally at your door step. The pier wins hands down

The staff are very nice and the grub is pretty decent too!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 locked up

Watch this space!!!! New bar in process of being built.

New owners not afraid to spend money!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

They would want to freshen up the front of it its manky!

All in good time. There's €750k being spent on the bar. Opening early June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Risky enough spending that sort of money on a bar in that location. Other than Dolans not many bars in that area have been successful. Scooners, Harrison's all short lived, even Clohessy's is quiet down that way. The Market Quarter seems to attract the crowd these days. Wish them luck though.

Hotel bought by the Mc Gettigan family (regency hotel group). These people are very clever when it comes to this sort of thing. They've McGettigan promotions behind them too. They actually have Lionel Ritchie performing this weekend in one of their bars in Dubai.

Yes it's a risk but they feel its one that's worth taking. Wait until ye see the bar when it opens! Was described today as "having your toast with ALL the butter"

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

You might tell 'em to fix the heart out the front when you're talking to them next.

Looking into that at min. All underground pipes froze and cracked. Biggish enough job to sort out but yes, it's on the list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

750k being spent on doing up a bar?And a hotel bar?

What are they hoping for business wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pkvader

Lads have any of you stayed in the hotel since it was taken over?,is there a residents bar?,or is the pier a better option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

pkvader wrote: »
    Lads have any of you stayed in the hotel since it was taken over?,is there a residents bar?,or is the pier a better option?

Pier has a residents bar, better location too. Right near the city center.

• Advertisement

pkvader wrote: »

Pier has a residents bar, better location too. Right near the city center. Pier also has a lovely wine bar and the food is decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

I haven't stayed in either but I'd prefer The City Hotel to The Pier.

McGettigan's is the bar in the City Hotel
    and I'd assume they or the hotel provide a residents bar for after hours

The Pier bar (think it's called the Quays these days.) is a kip imo. Interior hasn't been updated since the place opened originally as Pier One years ago. Furnishing is really worn and tired looking. Passed by there a few times on various Saturday nights to see the place less than half empty which not surprising really and had a pint in there one time which cost €5. Wouldn't be in a hurry to go back.

Being honest we're not worried about the interior of the bar as we'll only be drinking in it if it's a residents bar after hours,Pier sounds like the better option.I Should have said its a lads weekend, so not overly fussed about it being dated.As long as it's, clean,convenient and residents bar.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Pier bar (think it's called the Quays these days.) is a kip imo. Interior hasn't been updated since the place opened originally as Pier One years ago. Furnishing is really worn and tired looking. Passed by there a few times on various Saturday nights to see the place less than half empty which not surprising really and had a pint in there one time which cost €5. Wouldn't be in a hurry to go back.

Have you been to their new wine bar or restaurant? All new interior.

5 euro is the norm for a hotel pint.

I'm talking about the Quays bar rather than the wine bar or restaurant at the other side of the hotel. As for the price of a pint being normal for a hotel, well most hotels offer a higher standard of surroundings even in their resident bar.

The lack of investment even in the most modest form is very obvious in the bar.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'm talking about the Quays bar rather than the wine bar or restaurant at the other side of the hotel. As for the price of a pint being normal for a hotel, well most hotels offer a higher standard of surroundings even in their resident bar.

The lack of investment even in the most modest form is very obvious in the bar.

You're exaggerating. There is nothing wrong with the Quays bar, and the wine bar and restaurant are hardly "at the other side of the hotel" they are in fact connected directly to the Quays bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I stayed in both of them more than once and going on the last time I stayed in both I would choose Limerick City Hotel everytime.

Pros for Pier - Parking if you can get it and asking for a room larger than a postage stamp
    Cons for the Pier - At the time of me staying there it must have attracted a certain type of loud obnoxious male & female groups who ruined any chance of sleep.

Pros for Hotel - Larger Relatively modern rooms with a nicer bar of McGettigans
    Cons for Hotel - Some rooms aren't renovated as still exude a certain early 90's type charm or cheap woods, and drab white(was white at least) bathrooms. The sound insulation of the rooms and bedrooms doors is seriously below par and you can hear everything. EVERYTHING. Lack of Parking can be an issue and I wouldn't personally park on the streets around there unless I park on Lower Henry Street outside Garda station(Saturday night to Sunday as no street parking fee). You can pay €7.50 to use the neighbouring car park of course.

When the guys took over the hotel from Jurys they bumped the price up about €15 a night but didn't offer anything better so I stopped staying there. Often you can get The Glentworth for about €45+ a weekend night so that's grand as I'm in town with the car so drinking myself to sleep.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement