Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive from Laptop problem.

Options
  • 05-01-2014 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

A friend has asked me to look at his laptop, the darn thing wont start-up properly, gets as far as the lights sliding from left to right. I have tried to get to the command prompt and do a chkdsk /r but after many tries, what I thought was success was the bsod. I have tried a Linux disk, but the DVD drive just ain't cutting the mustard, then tried from a USB Flash memory drive and it refuses to work (have tried this out on my own laptop, works fine). Now I have removed the hard drive and with and old enclosure plugged it into my laptop. I can read one partition no problems, yet the other (original C: wont), yet when looking at it from the Disk management it exists and is healthy.

This all seems a lot of work, but I want to rescue files that he has and I do not have a Vista disk to re-install from.

Any ideas? I would welcome any advise. Yours half probing in the dark!

Advertisement