Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgradaute funding from Susi

Options
  • 05-01-2014 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Im currently doing a MA and my fees of €6000 were covered by SUSI as I qualified for the special rate. I hope to do another MA in september and I was wondering if i would be funded by them once again?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Manco

Open to correction, but I don't think you can get SUSI funding if you're doing a course at the same level as your previous one unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭brónaim cád??

I thought all grants for postgrads was stopped last year. I thought I read that on their website..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Manco

The maintenance grant was stopped, but SUSI still covers fees if you qualify for the special rate. I'm doing a PhD and it's covering my fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

If you go up a level in FETAC qualification scale they will pay. So masters is a level 9 and they'd therefore cover a PhD which is level 10. They wont cover it if you stay at the same level. So they wont cover the second masters. I think.

Oh I didn't realise that! I have my BA (HONS) so level 8 and the MA is level 9.

• Advertisement

But when you finish the first masters you will have a level 9. They won't fund you to do another one. Again I'm only working from memory here so do check it out yourself.

I only plan on doing the one. I've barely starting the application and might not get in! But it's good to know.

O sorry thought you were the OP. Well then best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

aoife365 wrote: »
    Im currently doing a MA and my fees of €6000 were covered by SUSI as I qualified for the special rate. I hope to do another MA in september and I was wondering if i would be funded by them once again?
    Basically no

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I thought all grants for postgrads was stopped last year. I thought I read that on their website..
    You can still get a grant towards fees

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

It goes on last year's income, doesn't it? I think I'll have a bit of trouble. I'm in London this year and was in the Middle East last year. I have no paper work for last year. I'm guessing this will be a major problem..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

You can still get a grant towards fees

My son wants to do the Ma in sep. 2014 he will have a BA .he didn't qualify last year as he was. 1000 over .who do we apply to for the grant .
    This is a little light at the end if the tunnel .the course is 1year €6500 how much do you get. ?
    Thanks
    Cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Getting a grant for a Masters is near impossible, the combined income of the household has to be worth pittens almost for them to even consider you for €2,000 assistance. Even with my me, my Mum and my Dad all working part-time, I couldn't get anything towards my Masters and had to take out a €6,000 loan over 4 years to pay for it.

Advertisement