Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping internet access on Ipad but keeping wifi on?

Options
  • 05-01-2014 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

My kids are constantly accessing the internet through apps on the ipad... not on purpose, but in the likes of kids maths apps, farming simulator, angry birds they click through to view videos on youtube from the app and have 20 or 30 tabs open in the browser etc.

I want to allow connecting to the house wifi, as i have xbmc installed on the ipad, so they can watch kids tv and movies from the NAS over wifi, but i want to turn off internet access so they cannot access websites or youtube etc.

Any way of doing this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Most routers have the ability to block access based on ip and/or mac address. So you could block all access for the ipads.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

FSL wrote: »
    Most routers have the ability to block access based on ip and/or mac address. So you could block all access for the ipads.

However by doing this the OP will not be able to access the NAS from the iPad. It would get blocked off the network entirely.

One way of doing this would be to set up parental controls. However, I'm not certain this will work.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

In iOS7 on the iPhone, If you go into Phone in settings you can manually switch off data services for individual apps, don't have my iPad handy but imagine it's something similar on the iPad

Advertisement