Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Originality in LC English Higher Level

Options
  • 05-01-2014 2:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

I have always wondered if there are other ways of answering English LC questions.

For example, we all start the final paragraph with "To conclude" or "In conclusion". What other ways could this paragraph that we use so often be phrased?

For Paper Two questions I feel like my answers are boring and the stereotypical types, "Other reason why I found xyz's poetry moving etc etc".

Especially for Comprehension questions. I feel like I'm following this fascist formula which my teacher has drilled into me. I believe strongly in originality and I'm sure if you want an A in English you would need it.

So if you have any key useful phrases that can be transfered to many questions that would be much appreciated! I'm sure other LCers would love to hear them too.

Plmko :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

plmko wrote: »
    I have always wondered if there are other ways of answering English LC questions.

For example, we all start the final paragraph with "To conclude" or "In conclusion". What other ways could this paragraph that we use so often be phrased?

For Paper Two questions I feel like my answers are boring and the stereotypical types, "Other reason why I found xyz's poetry moving etc etc".

Especially for Comprehension questions. I feel like I'm following this fascist formula which my teacher has drilled into me. I believe strongly in originality and I'm sure if you want an A in English you would need it.

So if you have any key useful phrases that can be transfered to many questions that would be much appreciated! I'm sure other LCers would love to hear them too.

Plmko :)

This topic has been discussed before. Only joking!

Regarding the concluding paragraph: give it space so that it's obviously the final paragraph, and then just leave out that tired phrase, "In conclusion"!
    In conclusion, Lady Macbeth can be said to be a woman misunderstood. (followed by a a restating, in one sentence, of the point made in each paragraph)

Rather than striving for originality, I think one is best served by avoiding cliche and hackneyed phrasing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 EliteC

OUr teacher told us never to use 'In conslusion' unless it's a report. He says to just sum up your points in simple English.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

So do ye suggest that I never use any 'to conclude' phrases so? How shall I suggest that it is the concluding paragraph?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

Just some up what you have written but in different wording and add a little extra. For poetry maybe say a little more about the poet that you mentioned in the opening.
    Don't use in conclusion EVER. Imagine watching a film and then the director comes on in the middle and says "This is a movie by the way, but please keep watching." It spoils the story. Allow the examiner to get lost in your answer. They don't want to be rudely awoken by phrases like "to conclude...," "in this essay I am going to discuss...," "my answer will deal with..."
    Say something you don't think anyone will have. For poetry make it seem like you really loved the poet; pretend they absolutely mesmerised you. Even if you hate them. "Emily Dickinson is the most astoundingly original poet on the course"

You may have to be a bit cringeworthy but a little shame is a small price to pay for higher marks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Emmm...different opinion, but "my answer will deal with" and "in conclusion" are simple structures to any essay. It's like telling someone not to say "Next" or not to name a poem because "let the examiner guess from the poems you quote from, surprise them". I always wrote that stuff and did very well. Your essay will sound like it's ending very abruptly otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

They don't want to be rudely awoken by phrases like "to conclude...," "in this essay I am going to discuss...," "my answer will deal with..."

I don't agree with that. Obviously don't sign-post creative writing essays. But, I don't think one'd be marked down for having a formulaic style in P2 essays. In fact, I think it demonstrates a planned approach, and helps one comprehensively address the question. I agree - it's not very pleasing to read. But, if it were my fiftieth to correct that day, maybe I'd have a different opinion!

Advertisement