Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are things in the UK these days.

• 05-01-2014 5:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how the UK based boardsies are finding things because I'm thinking of heading there when I get back from Australia in 6 months. Looking at going to the Liverpool Manchester area or maybe Scotland. Any advice is welcome, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

The South of the country is booming, the North as always is lagging behind. I'm based in Bristol and there is no sign of a recession here of any sorts judging by the amount of jobs around the place, busy pubs/shops, house prices etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Bristol, I don't know. I 'd feel like I was betraying my old stomping ground of Plymouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If you're in IT/telecomms, Edinburgh is busy from what I hear.

I did a fetac level 5 IT course before I left home but i doubt that will carry me too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

kieranfitz wrote: »
    Just wondering how the UK based boardsies are finding things because I'm thinking of heading there when I get back from Australia in 6 months. Looking at going to the Liverpool Manchester area or maybe Scotland. Any advice is welcome, cheers.

Is it just for personal choice that you are going to the UK once you come back form Auz. Have you looked to see what's in Ireland or are you assuming sure there no jobs here when there is actually lots of jobs out there.

BTW Liverpool wouldn't be great for jobs, Manchester much better if you do go North.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Is it just for personal choice that you are going to the UK once you come back form Auz. Have you looked to see what's in Ireland or are you assuming sure there no jobs here when there is actually lots of jobs out there.

BTW Liverpool wouldn't be great for jobs, Manchester much better if you do go North.

There may be jobs going back home, but the last thing I want is to get stuck working somewhere like dunne....again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Don't touch Liverpool with a barge pole, the city has been blighted by unemployment since the 1980's and has never really seen any permanent recovery, if you're in the north of England both Manchester and to a lesser extent Leeds are both in good economic shape at the minute. Up north both Edinburgh and Glasgow are both doing very well also.

There may be jobs going back home, but the last thing I want is to get stuck working somewhere like dunne....again.

Fully understandable but there are lots of good pay jobs available but I guess it just depends what you qualification is. Just saying look hard here as there are around.

Might be of interest:
    http://www.idaireland.com/irelandisgreat/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

I did a fetac level 5 IT course before I left home but i doubt that will carry me too far.

It should get you a help desk position, i have a BSC Ordinary level degree in IT. which i done about 10 years ago. I also completed a Fetac level 5 in IT last year. Network Maintenance etc . Ill be honest with you i learned a hell of a lot more last year that is very useful in the industry than the degree i done over 10 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Ya Ireland is booming with i t jobs and Dublin, cork and a few of the bigger towns are moderately busy with construction and services jobs, but take a spin into the smaller towns like Ennis, mallow or tipp town and their dying on their feet

• Advertisement

If you don't work in IT or to lesser extent financial services in Ireland there isn't quite the massive amount of jobs out there that there's made out to be. I'm a scientist and there's literally nothing in my field in Ireland currently looking for people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

whupdedo wrote: »
    Ya Ireland is booming with i t jobs and Dublin, cork and a few of the bigger towns are moderately busy with construction and services jobs, but take a spin into the smaller towns like Ennis, mallow or tipp town and their dying on their feet

I wouldn't go that far to say its booming with IT jobs there is specific IT jobs such as programming etc that are in demand but hardware based jobs such as system administrators are not plentiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

Don't touch Liverpool with a barge pole, the city has been blighted by unemployment since the 1980's and has never really seen any permanent recovery, if you're in the north of England both Manchester and to a lesser extent Leeds are both in good economic shape at the minute. Up north both Edinburgh and Glasgow are both doing very well also.
    Leeds is actually outperforming Manchester at the moment by about 4 billion per year

Leeds is actually outperforming Manchester at the moment by about 4 billion per year

Really? That's interesting, I'm assuming it's something to do with the huge boost it has received from financial services re locating there from London?

In other news, unemployment in the UK is at its lowest since 2007 OP (7.2%), so yeah it's doing pretty well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Is Manchester *that* bad at the moment? Starting the hunt now before college ends. I had more or less resigned myself to *hopefully* get a media/journo related job in London. Surely Manchester isn't all that bad.

I'll look at the media city website when the time comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I have heard good things about Leeds, Edinburgh, Bristol, and of course London.

I will second that about Liverpool and the north east generally. Stay well clear especially Liverpool. TBH I never hear anything about Manchester- good, bad or indifferent.

I live outside Birmingham. The satellite towns are doing much better as people move out.

The closer to London the better which is stating the obvious really.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Gott

London is, as always, the economic fulcrum of the UK. No idea what you're skilled in but there's bound to be something in London for you.

Speaking for Edinburgh here you'll do well in IT (as someone mentioned earlier), financial sector's still big enough here, and there's a bit of a buzz around the place with the independence vote and Commonwealth games coming up in Glasgow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Midlands here. We've taken on two new staff in the last six months and another likely in the next few months. Small business, non skilled work.

Things are bright from my perspective although my good lady lost her job yesterday, we are still confident that she will find something else within the month.

On a personal note, my life improved hugely since I moved here three years ago. Although I have been very lucky, I would still say to anyone considering a move to give it a go.

Midlands here. We've taken on two new staff in the last six months and another likely in the next few months. Small business, non skilled work.

Things are bright from my perspective although my good lady lost her job yesterday, we are still confident that she will find something else within the month.

On a personal note, my life improved hugely since I moved here three years ago. Although I have been very lucky, I would still say to anyone considering a move to give it a go.

Can I ask what has improved besides getting a job?

seachto7 wrote: »
    Is Manchester *that* bad at the moment? Starting the hunt now before college ends. I had more or less resigned myself to *hopefully* get a media/journo related job in London. Surely Manchester isn't all that bad.

I'll look at the media city website when the time comes.

Manchester is perfectly fine at the moment, no idea where you got the idea it wasn't on this thread. Liverpool on the other hand...don't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 Houdini212

Can anybody tell me what cities have realistic prospects of a job. I have a degree in Accounting and I am struggling to find full time employment even shop work. Would I find minimum wage work quickly if I moved over there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Can I ask what has improved besides getting a job?

Apologies for the late reply. The job gave me rewarding, secure work and a possible successful future. Moving away from my previous life, although tough at times, meant I could refocus on what was important to me and how I could improve my lot in life.

In short, I felt that I was treading water in Dublin, and now that I am swimming forward towards something here in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Manchester is perfectly fine at the moment, no idea where you got the idea it wasn't on this thread. Liverpool on the other hand...don't bother.

I had heard mixed reports on Manchester on boards in the last few months. You don't tend to see a whole lot of jobs advertised in some areas such as journalism/new media. Quite a few of these in London, even with Media City in Manchester.

Advertisement