Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what on earth did I do?

Options
  • 05-01-2014 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

OK folks, here's a breakdown of what happened today.

There was some maintenance to be done - the Airsoft forums are getting a bit of a tidy up, so I started on that.

I was not as careful with the vBulletin tools that manage this as I should have been and I accidentally copied every post from the site into one of the Airsoft forums instead of just the posts from one of the forums that was getting merged.

As you might imagine, moving 40+ million posts caused something of a catastrophic problem for the site.

So, to repair the problem, the site was taken offline and Colm and Chris on our sys admin team as well as Rónán from Tech spent the afternoon restoring from a backup. The time on that backup was about 6:30am this morning, so we have lost all posts created between then and now.

I can only apologise to you all for making this mistake and taking us offline. It was bloody stupid and I'm mortified that I made such a balls of something that should have been reasonably straight forward.

I hope your afternoon wasn't too badly upset by the outage.

UPDATE @ 19:50: The site will be slow for a while as the database caches build back up. There's unfortunately no way to speed this up other than to keep using the site. It's an unfortunate side effect of doing a total restoration of the database servers.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Would deleting the Airsoft Forum ensure that it wouldn't happen again?
    Bloody Airsoft :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Ah here, let's be fair! This was all on me, Airsoft did nothing wrong at all :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

No worries Dav, the dinner is cooked and the house is clean, my family salutes you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

P45 is in the post Dav.

Regards,

Distilled Media CEO

:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Did you try clicking 'Undo'?! :P

Mistakes happen, its no big deal at the end of the day. Its the internet. :)

Welcome Back Boards, and well done to all for the work done getting the site back up and running.

Gwan the Boards Team!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

sure it could happen to anyone ... well anyone with access to the big red button :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Fair play Dav for the honest hands up on this. It's not the end of the world at all and anyone who acts like it was should get a banning. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

True....wannabe soldiers with their little plastic pea shooters:rolleyes:,running thru the woods shouting"gotcha"
    has to be the gayest game ever .....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Hehe, good to see it's not just me that can make big f*ckups! Fair play to Colm, Chris and Rónán for getting us back up and running.

40 million new posts in one of the airsoft forums, that would have been great craic for anyone following that forum with instant email notifications set up. :D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Still slow as an octogenarian here.

To err is human, Dav. To forgive is divine. Just don't do it again or it's fire and brimstone for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Where are the sticks gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Bring me cake and all will be forgiven.

Mistakes happen. Hope you're all having a large drink right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Never would have happened if they used real guns and bullets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Things are running very slow for me. Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

Everyone makes mistakes Dav :)

at least its back up and running now so its only idiots that will complain from now on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭YuM

Managers with admin rights :) keeping techs in jobs for years.
    Its rare they admit it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I never did understand a lot of that airsoft lingo, moving 40 million posts from everywhere else would've showed them just how I feel. I say do it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I'm old school and I grew up in a time when fcuk ups were punishable offences. There must be punishment! Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Even when they said it was the hamsters, I knew it was the tortoise all the time!

No harm to give us all a day off. I got loads of work done :D

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    Still slow as an octogenarian here.

To err is human, Dav. To forgive is divine. Just don't do it again or it's fire and brimstone for you!
    Just be thankful that the backups weren't on audio cassette tapes like it was in the last century, errr I mean in the early 1980s ;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Aw man. And I posted the euromillins results for next week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Even when they said it was the hamsters, I knew it was the tortoise all the time!

No harm to give us all a day off. I got loads of work done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

So what your saying is..Boards has gone back in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

miss takes happen i've made some whoppers in IT over the years
    it's the admitting and rectifying that highlight a true man\teams decency

what i've found over the years is the use of CRM helps to reduce the miss takes but more importantly helps recover faster from them

Nerd interest here
    how big was the oracle database restore?
    im guessing TB's

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Which ones the any key?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

For what its worth Dav, i was absolutely deathly nervous going back to comp sci in college tomorrow, i always feel like i have the power in me to **** up so royally and bring the whole uni it system down.

you now have not only re-assured me, that it can happen to anyone even the greats, so now if i don't knock out a system or two, ill feel like a failure! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I thought I'd accidentally ballsed up R&R when I clicked onto the forum and all the threads had the redirected symbol :o I'm just kinda ecstatic that it was nothing to do with me :pac: :pac:

Fair play for the hands up, though! Shit happens

Advertisement