Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what on earth did I do?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Next time move all the posts in to one thread, and then the next time, all the posts in to one comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Woohoo! It's back! Don't worry, Dav - mistakes happen. You'll be forgiven, eventually :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Mistakes happen, funny one all the same :D

A hell of a lot of duplicate and quadruplicate posts about at the moment,

If anyone plans on deleting them, don't delete everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Will someone please answer fred? :eek:

Seriously though, everything is running slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Not gonna lie. Im impressed at that :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Woohoo! It's back! Don't worry, Dav - mistakes happen. You'll be forgiven, eventually :D

Well done to the guys for getting it back up and running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

No probs Dav, I only feel sorry for the folks having to work on Sunday. Still, keep up what's normally good work :P!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

UPDATE @ 19:50: The site will be slow for a while as the database caches build back up. There's unfortunately no way to speed this up other than to keep using the site. It's an unfortunate side effect of doing a total restoration of the database servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Nice to know such PICNIC errors happen to people other than myself. Move the server(s) in to the "cloud", that's apparently the solution to every computer problem, innit? ;)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

seems to be an echo since coming back up? anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

So what your saying is..Boards has gone back in time?

Twice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭gifted

Not good enough...I want a head on a platter...with fruit..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Dav, I'd say you need to replace your Tagline with Danny's old "Hamster Killer" one as a punishment. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Pop Dav in the wheel with hamsters, speed the site up a bit until she's back to normal. :p

I have visions of the database engine being a bit like this one! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,559 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

lol if yer gonna fukk up, may as well do it spectacularly, wp Dav:pac:

So, were all private fora posts viewable for a short time in Airsoft? Even the super sekrit Admin, Moderator and Reported Post forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Can we bring a back boards.tv or something to get our fix if things go pear shaped again? ;) Thanks to Dav and the team, apologies for the whingy bastids on Twitter complaining.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Sure it was national take down the Christmas tree today, house clean and looking ginormous now!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Alannah Gallagher

Dav, I respect you.

We all make a donkey's shyte of something once in a while, 99% of people would have blamed technical issues or something "outside of our control".

You were honest, that's priceless.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Dav's confession is now at 147 thanks and rising. This was just one convoluted attempt at thanks-whoring wasn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I think everyone who works in IT has had at least one horrible moment when you realise that you've done something incredibly f**ked up. The time I ran a test script in our live environment rather than our test environment springs to mind!

Feck it, no one died. Good on you for being so up front about it Dav, hopefully it's sorted now and you can all go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

All this has just made me appreciate boards more. Absence makes the heart grow fonder... Clever marketing ploy eh?! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Mistakes happen.

Fair play to you for admitting it and fair play to everyone who fixed it, because I inagine it took a hell of a lot of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Dav, good on ye! One thing will happen - you'll learn from that - take comfort in the fact that there are plenty of people who have been in that position before and lived to tell the tale.

me? I plunged a whole newspaper in to the abiss for 6 hours once! Language not found in a bible/Quran/Talmud was directed at me - for 5 hours!

Lived, told the tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

So that's why what I posted today has disappeared!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Well, I made the most of it & went & got my hair done while Dav & the lads played with Lego. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

woodyg wrote: »
    miss takes happen i've made some whoppers in IT over the years
    it's the admitting and rectifying that highlight a true man\teams decency

what i've found over the years is the use of CRM helps to reduce the miss takes but more importantly helps recover faster from them

Nerd interest here
    how big was the oracle database restore?
    im guessing TB's

I'm guessing 0 bytes actually. Now as for the MySQL restore, that was probably massive...... :)

This is based on a combination of previous posts stating that boards.ie runs on replicated MySQL DBs, the fact that Oracle licensing would likely be prohibitively expensive for boards.ie, and finally that if it was in fact Oracle underpinning boards.ie, I would expect RMAN or similar to be in place so that the restore could have been brought up to a time closer to before Dav's boo boo (archive logs, etc.), rather than simply the time of the last complete backup.

On a lighter note, well done to the team for getting it back online, and ignore any naysayers, human error is always a risk, and the combination of owning up and resolving this on a Sunday no less is truly admirable, especially when you consider that plenty of us users avail of boards.ie as a free service!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Sh*t happens. Fair play for getting things back up so quickly and for doing it on a day off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Dav throwing his hands up to making a human error rather than blaming a computer error, you can tell the man is no civil servant. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Don't beat yourself up over this Dav!

I've sent some of the boys round to do it for you!:D:D:D

Advertisement