Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what on earth did I do?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Dav, I'd say you need to replace your Tagline with Danny's old "Hamster Killer" one as a punishment. :pac:

He deserves it more than I ever did I think :pac:

It happens to the best of us Dav, it's tough at the top :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

So Dave learnt the power of CTRL-A and then CTRL-C and CTRL-V :P

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    I think everyone who works in IT has had at least one horrible moment when you realise that you've done something incredibly f**ked up. The time I ran a test script in our live environment rather than our test environment springs to mind!

Feck it, no one died. Good on you for being so up front about it Dav, hopefully it's sorted now and you can all go home.
    Exactly, it's only a speedbump on the road of life, now if that had been a bank's database, it would have been a different story! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

It happens. Sure, I tried putting something into the shredder earlier on and ended up burning the whole company down.

Nobody's perfect.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Splendid, ye're back! :) And I was just starting to get the hang of Twitter again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'd like to take this opportunity to say "Thank you Dav, for giving the mods and admins a half day!"

Fair play to you and to the lads for giving up their Sunday to get everything sorted again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Mycroft H wrote: »
    So Dave learnt the power of CTRL-A and then CTRL-C and CTRL-V :P

Dave is an arsehole like that though....

Dav on the otherhand is lovely. But his computer privileges are being suspended for a few days. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Phew, all good again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Thanks for the update Dav.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

did you try turning it off and on again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rf1980

Ah sure tis grand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

don't know if it's related but my post earlier in this thread has 2 thanks from the same person. Still some corruption maybe?

Well done to all involved for getting it all back up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

How do I get back the brilliant post I created today? That was my only chance at 'net fame, it was about to go viral I tell ya, VIRAL.

:-D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I tried spray painting a horse blue and white, then skinning it, running into Tesco wearing it and coercing the workers to join me in an interpretative rain dance but it didnt work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Paddy_man

Happens to us all Dav, but don't tell Andrew Beatty, he'll never let you forget it :) Now back to Bargain Alert watching for that ever elusive 47inch 3D LED TV for €99 :)

Fair play with the honesty by the way Dav, I would have blamed it on the Auto Defrag of the TCP/IP Addresses... ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Thanks for the info.
    I was reading through my regular forums and noticed missing posts so guessed things went wrong and a restore took place lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

:confused:

I don't understand all the "thanks" the OP gets. Well done on messing up?

That's weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I'd say Boards.ie HQ is going to take a bit longer to air out after Dav crapped himself this morning! :pac:

Well done on getting it back up so quickly and for keeping people informed with a re-direct to twitter. I still won't be joining twitter any time soon though, those contrasting fonts and bastardised English, perhaps we could send in Dav to, erm, "tidy things up a bit"... :D

That's weird.
    Well done for being honest, many others wouldn't have been so forthcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

That's weird.

Mistakes happen all the time - admitting to kinda big ones is admirable. Also, putting in all that work to rectify it on a Sunday afternoon is better than most would do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

That's weird.

There's always one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Well done for being honest, many others wouldn't have been so forthcoming.
    Mistakes happen all the time - admitting to kinda big ones is admirable.

Right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Ulster Bank just called. They want you to head up their new IT unit Dav!

Seriously though, don't sweat it. Boards.ie us just for fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Dave is an arsehole like that though....

Dav on the otherhand is lovely. But his computer privileges are being suspended for a few days. :pac:

Do you know what? I thought I had edited that to dav. Well I did in my head anyhow.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Mylina wrote: »
    No worries Dav, the dinner is cooked and the house is clean, my family salutes you! :D

Same here, Christmas decorations came down, hoovered and dusted the place and did the wash up!

Damn you boards making me do housework on my weekend! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

Just glad Boards is back

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

We have all done something stupid, formatted a SAN, ran a script that rebooted every server in the farm. No biggie, you just get back on your horse and spend 3 days restoring backups and trying to fix databases.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

We've only just rounded up everyone who escaped from Prison.

It was like in Ghostbusters when Peck shut down their containment grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Ulster bank, and AIB going down I can deal with, but Boards......that's just not cricket.

I've a good mind to get on to my local car dealer Joe Duffy and tell him all about this.

P.S. Good to have you back. Now don't do that to me again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

That's weird.
    He knew he'd get a load of abuse for ballsing it up, so put his hands up and admitted it in a post he knew would get POTD.

Swings and roundabouts and all that jazz, eh Dav?;)

Advertisement