Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what on earth did I do?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

regisaysoops.jpg

We need a Dav throw his hands up card. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So... all those bannable posts from this morning disappeared into the bit bucket, right? RIGHT!!?!11!!±1!

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Ctrl+Alt+z?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Daqster

All posts made after the restore are showing up in searches (well, the usual one or two lines at least).

For instance, I get one or two results for between 7am and midday, when I search for who has quoted me.

Guess that's just cache though and won't last?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,981 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Cheers for the heads up and honesty Dav, kudos!

I assume there'll be some sort of forfeit punishment handed down upon Dav though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Mistakes happen all the time - admitting to kinda big ones is admirable. Also, putting in all that work to rectify it on a Sunday afternoon is better than most would do.
    I'd say his chances of keeping that one a secret were slim and I think if most people left work before they fixed something like that they wouldn't coming back! Still, mistakes do happen. I'd love to know the technical details though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I missed all the fun being in a and e with no signal! Was dying to catch up in the weather forum and took me a while to figure out why there was so few posts since I had been on last

DAV_zps1d85aa40.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

40 million new posts in one of the airsoft forums, that would have been great craic for anyone following that forum with instant email notifications set up. :D

Please PLEASE tell me this happened!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I'd imagine the next baby boom will be traced back to Jan 5th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Does the double-jeopardy rule work for anyone who was banned after 10:30 yesterday morning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Doesn't boards.ie have a mirror?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

mike65 wrote: »
    Doesn't boards.ie have a mirror?

yes and Dav was admiring himself in it at the time, hence why he wasn't fully concentrating on what he was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

*lol*
    Reading this thread has made me very happy that I stepped away from modding airsoft :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Ah Shure tis grand. It'll Be fine

Is there a camera or any sort of recording equipment in Boards.ie HQ? Preferably one squarely centered on Dav's face. I've love to watch it as he is going about his business and then realizes his mistake. At which point I would freeze-frame it and move frame-by-frame.

I imagine it would look something like this:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I love this... from now on any time that I do something dumb I can say "well at least *I* didnt megamerge the whole site.... hmmmm!!" .. or..

"Do you remember the time I merged the whole site into one forum... oh no, wait, thats was YOoooooU!" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Folks, presume you're aware charters and other sticky posts are missing from forums on touch?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

MugMugs wrote: »
    Folks, presume you're aware charters and other sticky posts are missing from forums on touch?

Yup, there's a tech person reply already in the site dev forum about it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

MugMugs wrote: »

Not all of them though. For example, VoIP still has its charter and sticky posts. Radio for instance has no charter now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

DeVore wrote: »
    I love this... from now on any time that I do something dumb I can say "well at least *I* didnt megamerge the whole site.... hmmmm!!" .. or..

"Do you remember the time I merge the whole site into one forum... oh no, wait, thats was YOoooooU!" :p

Would you describe is as an act of oafery or boobery?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

The bug has been reported in Site Development anyway.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88322779#post88322779

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Mr. G wrote: »
    Not all of them though. For example, VoIP still has its charter and sticky posts. Radio for instance has no charter now.

Just did a test. If you post in a sticky on Desktop and refresh touch then the thread reappears.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I reckon there will be minor bugs cropping up from this for a little while. For instance on touch, threads usually load at the newest unread post for me, but right now theyve reverted to the first page or before the newest unread. Not a biggie but a sign the site has been through the wars.

Carlsberg don't do fcuk ups, but if they did they would probably be like Dav's.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Dav, have you ever heard of ctrl+z? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Miss Behaviour

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'd imagine the next baby boom will be traced back to Jan 5th

Don't be silly. Most boardsies couldn't get the ride in a bangkok whorehouse. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Some delayed replication might be an idea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Dav wrote: »
    OK folks, here's a breakdown of what happened today.

There was some maintenance to be done - the Airsoft forums are getting a bit of a tidy up, so I started on that.

I was not as careful with the vBulletin tools that manage this as I should have been and I accidentally copied every post from the site into one of the Airsoft forums instead of just the posts from one of the forums that was getting merged.

you might imagine, moving 40+ million posts caused something of a catastrophic problem for the site.

So, to repair the problem, the site was taken offline and Colm and Chris on our sys admin team as well as Rónán from Tech spent the afternoon restoring from a backup. The time on that backup was about 6:30am this morning, so we have lost all posts created between then and now.

I can only apologise to you all for making this mistake and taking us offline. It was bloody stupid and I'm mortified that I made such a balls of something that should have been reasonably straight forward.

I hope your afternoon wasn't too badly upset by the outage.

UPDATE @ 19:50: The site will be slow for a while as the database caches build back up. There's unfortunately no way to speed this up other than to keep using the site. It's an unfortunate side effect of doing a total restoration of the database servers.

Tisk tisk ,you will never get laid again after this mistake playa.

First step to being awesome is grabbing on your balls in a provocative manner and owning up ,yeah it was me. You did. Therefore you can. Be awesome that is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Did it need a mass PM? Surely a site wide announcement would have been enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Did it need a mass PM? Surely a site wide announcement would have been enough?

Not everyone reads the front page. I've been getting pm's from users of the A&P forum asking if the mods had deleted their posts etc because they were missing from the threads.

Advertisement