Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what on earth did I do?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭AerynSun

Did it need a mass PM? Surely a site wide announcement would have been enough?

I liked the PM. Made me feel loved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,981 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I didn't get the PM. I has a sad now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Not everyone reads the front page. I've been getting pm's from users of the A&P forum asking if the mods had deleted their posts etc because they were missing from the threads.

Doesn't need to be on the front page, they've added banners before that come under the navigation bar along the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

dulpit wrote: »

I may need to report your comment.... For being too needy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

The pm was a nice touch tbh,

Well done to the team for getting back up in the time you did,I have made similar mistakes before on a lot smaller scale and it can take a while :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Neither did I :( Feel so unloved right now. Good on Dav for admitting his mistake though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Sounds like a nightmare Sunday afternoon for the sys admins.

As a suggestion, I would recommend log / differential backups every 15 mins to limit data loss.

KKkitty wrote: »
    Neither did I :( Feel so unloved right now.

Maybe the delay is because the imps have to run up and down popping the PMs in everyone's pigeon holes? And maybe your imp stopped for a toilet break? And he'll be on to you in a minute?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

AerynSun wrote: »
    Maybe the delay is because the imps have to run up and down popping the PMs in everyone's pigeon holes? And maybe your imp stopped for a toilet break? And he'll be on to you in a minute?

:)

Hope so :) Not tech savvy at all but it must have been a nightmare trying to get the site back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Boards.ie: Declan

Did it need a mass PM? Surely a site wide announcement would have been enough?

The PM wasn't to everyone - just people who had posts that were deleted. We want to make sure they have the opportunity to repost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Cant remember what or where I posted anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

The PM was good idea.
    Since the incident came to light the Boards.ie team have behaved exceptional well in both rectifying the problem, and keeping users updated on their progress.
    Bearing in mind that most users of this site use it for free I would say the team have displayed a commitment to customer service that very few if any other entities in country could ever hope to emulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The PM wasn't to everyone - just people who had posts that were deleted. We want to make sure they have the opportunity to repost.

I don't even remember posting. I think the PM makes it sound like Dav has been 'eliminated'.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Penn

From now on, instead of the 404 poem you should just have "Dav?! What have you done now?!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I don't even remember posting. I think the PM makes it sound like Dav has been 'eliminated'.

I posted but cant remember what I posted.

Can anyone help:eek:

The PM was ... just people who had posts that were deleted.

Ah, that makes sense. To be fair now, I think the site going sideways was an Act of God: some of the stuff I wrote that got deleted, was probably better never posted in the first place. I'll take it as a reprieve :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Well done Dav for the honesty. Takes a lot for us IT folks to put our hands up when we mess up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

Some PM's just disappeared from my mailbox that's a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

how do you know who posted in that time if the data is gone?

Well done dav for owning up, it must have been a nervous phone call to the admins saying i broke the whole site. I think i was in college with him. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My post that vanished is still in my 'view all posts by looksee' section.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

irishgeo wrote: »
    Well done dav for owning up, it must have been a nervous phone call to the admins saying i broke the whole site.
    I'd say there were nervous calls alright but they weren't to the admins!

More like they were made to the real brass and the devs who got yoinked out of Funderland to fix it. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

Lost a couple of posts and private messages but have managed to repost and message was resent, so all ok.

The err is human, etc. ....... Well done on handling the situation and informing us about what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

I have to say that was good idea to link us to the boards twitter page. I don't use twitter normally but it was nice to know what's going on and yes you made a mistake, everyone can mistake, but you solved the problem and you kept people informed in a nice and polite manner, and I respect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Hey it's all good in the hood i read the post by Davin the sys forum and these things happen! I'm a web designer and i've made my fair share of red button moments too! Generally i panic, then stress but eventually figure things out and harmony is restored to the galaxy! A few posts are gone but what can you do! On the plus side if Dav is getting his p45 for his mistake and their is a job opening up please let me know haha!

SpaceCowb0y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Honesty is, as they say, the best policy.

I fked up, I have often times said here on Boards that people shouldn't be afraid to put their hand up and admit a mistake and I'd be some can of piss to not apply that same rule to myself. :)

When something like this happens, there is literally nothing I can do from a technical point of view to help the team, so the very least I can do is take to the Twitters and keep people informed - it's the handiest means of talking to you when something's wrong. Lots of people were asking what happened and I told them. Others were wondering if they could help and that was very much appreciated. One lady thought that she'd call us idiots for doing maintenance on "our busiest day" which is more funny than anything else given that Sunday is our quietest day by a huge margin. There were a lot of roundball people talking about Manchester Rovers and how it was a good thing there was no discussions about them (is my contempt for professional soccer showing? :p). By and large though, you've all been really understanding and patient with us and me and I can't thank you all enough for that, you had every right to be annoyed but you weren't.

It is unfortunate that this seems to contrary to people's expectations and experiences from dealing with other companies when there are large scale problems but it is also fortunate that I was in a position to tell everyone what was going on and how it was being fixed - this isn't always possible.

It's worth pointing out some of the technical reasons (and I'm trying not to be very technical in my explanations mostly cause I'm not fully versed in them myself) why it takes 8 hours to put things back in place. You can't simply "un-do" a mass-move of threads in VBulletin. Even if I had direct database access and could remember how to MySQL properly (and I used to be reasonably competent with it 10+ years ago), I couldn't have rolled this error back. It's yet another on the giant list of reasons why we're breaking away from VBulletin.

So Colm and Chris (two of the Distilled Media Sys Admin team who are the true heroes of this story) downloaded that morning's backup to one of the internal machines and extracted it (that alone took about 2 hours). They then fired it up onto the Master database server and onto the slave database servers. There are numerous reasons why you simply can't just flick the switch back and say "OK, go" at that stage. Some of you may have seen we were back briefly around 7pm but had to come down again as there are some non-trivial challenges in spreading the load across all the database servers and making sure that they're all synchronised (this is why you might have seen multiple posts of the same thing by people). That and making sure the load balancers (machines that intercept all the traffic to the site and spread it out amongst all of the servers evenly to keep us running) are all behaving themselves and talking to each other correctly is no small task.

After all that is done, you need to rebuild the cache's on the database servers. This is basically a buffer of the most accessed data on the site which makes things run quickly. There's no artificial way to do this, the servers build the cache themselves as people start using the site, so whilst things seem really slow to start with, the more people using the site, the faster the cache rebuilds and the faster the site becomes.

And so that brings us back up to speed. There were a few follow on glitches like Stickies not behaving themselves which a fix was rolled out for earlier this afternoon. Declan thought it a good idea to send out the PM to anyone who would have had any posts deleted, and whilst I didn't think it necessary at first, he's absolutely spot on and it's all a part of keeping everyone informed and continuing our "honesty is the best policy" stance.

Again, I want to say thank you to all of you for the understanding and kind words during and after the outage. It was a great reminder of how lucky we are to have such an excellent membership and group of communities here on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Welcome back Boards.ie

I felt like I am missing something very important in my life, good you're on again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Yea thanks for putting it all back together - **** happens. And your honesty and the way this was handled should be put as a glowing example to other companies. That's how it is done!

I got the PM as one or two of my posts got deleted, but no harm done. The twitter feed was handy enough, and am glad now i can get my usual boards.ie fix (a proud member since 2001 :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Boards are moving away from vBulletin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

DAV be honest. How much stick around the office are you getting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I have to say that was good idea to link us to the boards twitter page.
    Aye, was good that you did that. I got to see that kid's tweet calling you idiots, amazing display of lunacy.

Would it be an idea to also link to a twitter hashtag along with the account name? #boardsiedown or #DavDidItAgain maybe..

Advertisement