Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7; Advanced search

• 05-01-2014 10:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

Hi all I'm looking to search an images folder tree with many 1000s of files in 100s of subfolders, for images taken between certain dates. I cannot see a way to do this easily with the inbuilt Windows search facility, so I think I need a downloadable app of some sort to be able to do this. I dont want to have to search the entire HDD, just certain subfolders 'Pictures' for example. Can someone suggest a reliable piece of Freeware to do the job for me? I tried Ultrasearch........no good, as it doesnt allow me to limit the search to only one sub-part of the folder tree.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Agent Ransack does the job quickly and efficiently, and its free as a bird last time I looked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Agent Ransack does the job quickly and efficiently, and its free as a bird last time I looked.

This looks good. It would be ideal if I could exclude folders (some progs offer this) but for simlplicity, ease of download & use and speed, it is spot-on, hopefully it will stand the test of time (but its free, which is always good!). Many thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You can do it quite simply in Windows 7. Go to the search box and type in datetaken: . You'll then get a calendar dialog box where you can select a date range by simply clicking on a date and then dragging the cursor and releasing it. If you don't get it quite right, you can edit the generated search term by hand.

Note, this will use the date in the photo's EXIF data, not the creation or modification date of the file itself. If the EXIF data isn't correct for some reason (e.g. incorrect date/time set on camera), use datecreated: or datemodified: instead. It also only works properly on indexed folders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

For me the Windows File Search in Windows 7 is completely unreliable. I don't know if its permissions or ownership but something doesn't work right with it, especially over a network and network drives.

We also use Agent Ransack find it brilliant. Though not used it for what you are doing.

For images I use XnView a lot and it seems to be suited for what you are doing

http://jlog.jgen.ws/tech-tips/file-search-edit/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was going to mention Snowbird but it can't search within certain dates.

Advertisement