Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Please

Options
  • 05-01-2014 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi. I was thinking of using a stage monitor as my main sound amp, guitar and vocals. Can these be turned towards the crowd or would a wedge shape speaker be better. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

Yes, you can do this. Good wedges are expensive though, probably as much as a good PA speaker. I'm liking the QSC powered PA boxes K series. Also the distinctly non-Yamaha sounding Yamaha DSR 112 is one to watch - it sounds amazing: nothing but compliments when I use it

• Registered Users Posts: 34 smithfish

Thanks a million TroutMask, ill check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

The main diff. between a wedge monitor and a PA speaker, apart from the shape (and some PA speakers come in asymmetrical cabs so that they can do double duty as wedges) is the orientation of the HF horn driver flare and the dispersion pattern. Monitor wedges are designed to have a tight dispersion beam so that the monitor engineer can control the stage mix into localised zones with a minimum of spill. This may not be what you want in a PA speaker (though it would probably work fine in, say, a cabaret). Typically a wider spread is desirable in a PA speaker (unless it's a line array) - so you'll have a speaker that radiates more in the horizontal plane than in the vertical, at least for the high frequencies. In this way you'll get more coverage over an audience in a wide venue, and minimise reflections off the ceiling and floor (which you'll want to avoid.)

Advertisement