Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

struggling with my psychology session, is it me or the therapist? help!

Options
  • 05-01-2014 10:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hello,

I write this with a heavy heart.

I am in and out of various forms of therapy that have not worked for me...now I have been sent to the community mental health team where I have started to see the psychologist there. Before I proceed, I am not placing any blame on either the HSE or my psychologist. I am just airing my concerns.

So here they are...

I am seeing a new psychologist who is on the team. I have been with her since last june. THis is where I am concerned.

She has not given my a diagnose, a mutal plan to work towards my goal,
    she basically sits and listens to me and writes notes...

I am at my wits ends as I travel back from Dublin to see her, I have asked my boss at work to give me that day off so I can attend my appointment.

Why am I at my wits ends...

Do I leave this psychologist and start all over again - is this too much of a gamble
    From the onset I told her my major problems (major to me) and she only skirts around my problem in the session. Actually I do no remember much about the session as I gain no real advice that is noteworthy. (maybe that is too harsh).

Do I try and find another therapist i within the CMHT where I am ? I think there is only one so maybe I am screwed here.

I have broached my concerns with her many time and that I feel that has no real strong plan for me. At the beginning of our sessions she started doing one part of therapy work and changed the whole thing the next week I saw her ...I asked her a few weeks later why she did that and her response was " oh I am sorry I didn't inform you, that was my fault" she said, also she mentioned that she felt the therapy she was doing was a bit to much for me .

Roll on four months, each week I ask her if she has a structured plan in place for me and if she could write a letter to me of my diagnoises and what she is planning to do to help me.

So to sum it up, I question, do I make a clean break and find someone else
    Do I persist with the therapy?? Maybe I may make progress some day?

How is effects me: I go angry into sessions that I have made no progress, and angry when I come out when she has not given me any inkling as to where we are going on our path of recovery?

THis girl is newly qualified and I think this may be her first full time job in HSE. Maybe she is too inexperience to work with my problems.

Please, I would be so grateful of any help and advice - I really would be grateful as I am at a loss :(:::::::::

Many thanks in advance

Nova
    eve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Hi Nikinova,

I'm really sorry but it is impossible to give you any advice here. You may need to take up your issue more strongly with her, or ask to speak with the team leader or her boss.

Soc > Personal Issues may be better able to help.

JC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭nikinova

Thank you anyway Julius Caesar,
    I had a progressive outcome today in my session with her...after five months she has decided to give me a prognosis next week. She has told me she is going to get me to watch a video that will help explain my prognosis...not sure if this is a good way of doing things but I am just relieved that I am finally making some headway...excuse the slight pun!
    THanks for replying anyway.
    Nik

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Special_K

Yes I always agree. What's really important is that within your relationship with her: it's open and honest.

So, you need to tell her how you're feeling, and always set an agenda at the beginning of each session (which you need to think about in advance, before your session.) A good therapist will always do that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭nikinova

******UPDATE************************

Firstly, thank you to everyone that has responded to my thread. Your advice and guidance was and still is greatly appreciated.

So, here is an update of what is happening. I saw my psychiatrist on Wednesday. Not to go into too much detail - I will just cut to the part where he communicated with my psychologist.

To my utter disappointment, and as I already felt would happen, my psychiatrist will not hear anything negative said about my psychologist. He told me he had spoken to her following my trip to hospital and to investigate what make me try and OD. To my horror, she suggested that I was upset with my diagnosis of BPD and that I had walked out of the session. THIS IS NOT THE CASE. I honestly feel I am fighting a wall - that I have now been diagnosed with BPD and will be tarred with this brush for any dispute I have with either the psychologist or psychiatrist. I am being treated as if I am stupid, weak and an annoyance.

THe reason why I tried to OD was that nobody was listening to me, the psychologist who initially said she would help me now is leaving me to work things out for myself and I quote...she said ' you are 40 years old and I am not your mother" I will swear on a bible in court if she disputes this.

My whole reason to see this psychologist was to work out my identity, why I am so frightened of meeting men, to question my sexual identity - I AM SO LOST I FEEL LIKE RUNNING AND SCREAMING....

I am so lost right now...nobody is listening or wanting to help me.

My psychiatrist's parting words were 'leave it with me' -

I don't live in hope....

Thanks for reading this ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

nikinova wrote: »
    ******UPDATE************************

Firstly, thank you to everyone that has responded to my thread. Your advice and guidance was and still is greatly appreciated.

So, here is an update of what is happening. I saw my psychiatrist on Wednesday. Not to go into too much detail - I will just cut to the part where he communicated with my psychologist.

To my utter disappointment, and as I already felt would happen, my psychiatrist will not hear anything negative said about my psychologist. He told me he had spoken to her following my trip to hospital and to investigate what make me try and OD. To my horror, she suggested that I was upset with my diagnosis of BPD and that I had walked out of the session. THIS IS NOT THE CASE. I honestly feel I am fighting a wall - that I have now been diagnosed with BPD and will be tarred with this brush for any dispute I have with either the psychologist or psychiatrist. I am being treated as if I am stupid, weak and an annoyance.

THe reason why I tried to OD was that nobody was listening to me, the psychologist who initially said she would help me now is leaving me to work things out for myself and I quote...she said ' you are 40 years old and I am not your mother" I will swear on a bible in court if she disputes this.

My whole reason to see this psychologist was to work out my identity, why I am so frightened of meeting men, to question my sexual identity - I AM SO LOST I FEEL LIKE RUNNING AND SCREAMING....

I am so lost right now...nobody is listening or wanting to help me.

My psychiatrist's parting words were 'leave it with me' -

I don't live in hope....

Thanks for reading this ....

Sorry to hear this, if what you said is the way this has been dealt with, maybe you should look to other services, or if possible a psychologist who specializes in BPD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Maybe the psychiatrist will find another resource or team member to work with you?

I am locking this thread as it is repeated in Personal Issues.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement