Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registry cleaner.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭little man disorder

Another bit of info...
    When I log off and close lid on laptop it most likely will need to be turned off and started again . What happens is I log on and get to the welcome screen where it stays for awhile and then it goes to a blue(ish) screen where all I can see is the curser. At that point I need to turn off/on and log in again.

I would check the Video drive or even the chipset driver for that matter through device manager if colour distortions are happening on the laptop.

start, type device manager then when it opens if anything has a yellow background with ! It means there is a problem, if there is a ? with white background missing driver, but check under DISPLAY ADAPTERS make sure it is not a standard driver VGA driver and something like INTEL HD 4000 or something.

Another point I would consider is if you have been using your laptop on sofas, beds & your LAP and the fan vent was being blocked that could cause overheating in turn causes damage to the CPU over a long period of use with the fan being being blocked and make it very slow & spike the CPU to 100% for a long period of time, Generally it will be the explorer.exe process or svhost.exe process (seen in task manager under process tab) if the cpu is being spiked. But be carefull this is not malware either if it is theses process's because they are big TARGETS for it also.

Google speccy from Piriform for CPU temps and other good info to give an idea how hot your CPU is.
    Really easy to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Its a 6yr old laptop
    Its a 5yr old OS Vista (which was slow when new)

This laptop will never be fast again. (probably never was) short of launching it from a cliff. Its the equivalent of 12yr old car, that's never had a service or an oil change.

You can get it cleaned out inside, dust, fluff, and re-install the OS. But it will still be slow. The question really is are you willing to spend time and/or money on it, to end up with a slow old laptop.

It needs some love or a mercy killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭cosmowillie53

I have opened task master /processes/cpu. This page is constantly on the move (as if updating).
    There are at least 5 chrome .exe memory 227000K
    Explorer .exe 14000K Cssrss.exe 5000K
    These are the biggest items on a list .

Hope this makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

A reinstall, get all Windows updates and a defrag does wonders for Vista. Be faster than it ever was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

Windows Vista is a pretty horrid operating system resource wise. What I think happened is that it downloaded some new updates and has just bugged down the computer completely or it just needs a re install of Vista. I have seen this happen before.

Windows 7 or Windows 8 would be a nice upgrade.

• Advertisement

yawhat! wrote: »
    Windows Vista is a pretty horrid operating system resource wise. What I think happened is that it downloaded some new updates and has just bugged down the computer completely or it just needs a re install of Vista. I have seen this happen before.

Windows 7 or Windows 8 would be a nice upgrade.

Vista is fine with a fresh install patched up to date. Lots of the speed issues were addressed and fixed

Vista is fine with a fresh install patched up to date. Lots of the speed issues were addressed and fixed

Been a while since I used it. I remember the horror when it first came out:)

yawhat! wrote: »
    Been a while since I used it. I remember the horror when it first came out:)

Yeah, because hardware needed to catch up, they made the minimum requirements too low. M$ even made a Vista Basic to suit pcs that were'nt really good enough for Vista (nightmare). I cringe when I see a Vista Basic sticker, means it's a single core POS with not enough ram to run the full version. Those with enough power to run it had no problems. By the time Windows 7 came around hardware was a little faster, cpu's were all dual core, even celerons and ram size increased to 2-4GB

Windows 8 is still much better even on a ancient old laptop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsJLknJ9sao

But the money spent on a new OS, or any upgrades would be far better spent on a laptop that 6yrs newer.

beauf wrote: »
    Windows 8 is still much better even on a ancient old laptop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsJLknJ9sao

But the money spent on a new OS, or any upgrades would be far better spent on a laptop that 6yrs newer.

A Windows 8 licence is 130 quid, a reinstall takes a few mins and is free

• Advertisement

...Those with enough power to run it had no problems. By the time Windows 7 came around hardware was a little faster, cpu's were all dual core, even celerons and ram size increased to 2-4GB

... regradless of machine all will run faster and better with Windows 7 or 8

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭Mech1

your laptop may be getting a "go to sleep" order when closing the lid. Im no expert but sleep never worked for my laptop. I think you can disable sleep in control panel.

... regradless of machine all will run faster and better with Windows 7 or 8

Agreed, but that requires a licence that costs money. Not everyone has the money for new gear, some like to continue using what they have. Some even prefer to spend 50-100 to get 1-2 more years out of what they've got.

A Windows 8 licence is 130 quid, a reinstall takes a few mins and is free

I agree a new OS for a 6yr old PC is nuts. Its a third the price of a new computer. This thread has taken 3 days, and its not the first on this laptop either. How much did all that time cost.

You can't install Vista in a few minutes. Its going to take 30~40 mins, never mind on a 6yr old hard slow laptop drive. Thats not including, drivers, service packs, updates, any apps, av. Then consider its a very non techical user (no offense willie).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I have opened task master /processes/cpu. This page is constantly on the move (as if updating).
    There are at least 5 chrome .exe memory 227000K
    Explorer .exe 14000K Cssrss.exe 5000K
    These are the biggest items on a list .

Hope this makes sense.

OK, I am going to suggest that as a starter, uninstall Chrome, it looks like there is all sorts of bloatware running in that browser at the moment, and I doubt there's anything in there that's critical to the machine.

After uninstalling it, either in control panel, or Ccleaner, do another ccleaner run against free space, and then also do a check on the registry, to make sure that there's no junk there as well.

Let's see how that goes.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

I agree a new OS for a 6yr old PC is nuts. Its a third the price of a new computer. This thread has taken 3 days, and its not the first on this laptop either. How much did all that time cost.

You can't install Vista in a few minutes. Its going to take 30~40 mins, never mind on a 6yr old hard slow laptop drive. Thats not including, drivers, service packs, updates, any apps, av. Then consider its a very non techical user (no offense willie).

No, you take it to a professional who will do it in about 90 mins and charge about 80-100 quid. Laptop will be like new and will last another 1.5~2yrs. Better and cheaper than outlaying for a new one. The OP already said they don't use it much

Agreed, but that requires a licence that costs money. Not everyone has the money for new gear, some like to continue using what they have. Some even prefer to spend 50-100 to get 1-2 more years out of what they've got.

Flip this around. If someone does have money would you advise them spending days and money trying to fix an 6yr old laptop.

Flip this around. If someone does have money would you advise them spending days and money trying to fix an 6yr old laptop.

No, but not everyone can afford a new one, times are hard. Most of my customers when given a choice on new or keeping an old one running opt for the cheapest way out. I see it every day. I still see lots of XP pcs, especially in offices where they have software tied to them

No, you take it to a professional who will do it in about 90 mins and charge about 80-100 quid. Laptop will be like new and will last another 1.5~2yrs. Better and cheaper than outlaying for a new one. The OP already said they don't use it much

90 minutes to completely reload Vista and update all the service packs including things like .NET, Adobe reader, Java and all the other guff,

Not a change, more like half a day at least, if the processor runs it at a reasonable speed, which on 2 Gb it won't. Might be a bit less if the tech has a slipstreamed disc to do it with, but that's rare.

The OP has not indicated he wants to replace the machine, Rather than argue in his thread, can we please concentrate on helping him to get the machine working at least acceptably if not well.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭cosmowillie53

No offense taken..its a fact.
    I happen to have some spare time on my hands but I dont want to take up anyone's valuable time. If I/we can get this old machine going it would be great but its not the end of the world if I cant. There is a good feeling about keeping old things going if possible.

• Advertisement

90 minutes to completely reload Vista and update all the service packs including things like .NET, Adobe reader, Java and all the other guff,

Not a change, more like half a day at least, if the processor runs it at a reasonable speed, which on 2 Gb it won't. Might be a bit less if the tech has a slipstreamed disc to do it with, but that's rare.

The OP has not indicated he wants to replace the machine, Rather than argue in his thread, can we please concentrate on helping him to get the machine working at least acceptably if not well.

I said a professional can do it in 90mins with install disks with the
    service packs included. You can bulk install all those in one go from here
    http://ninite.com/

Laptop won't be like a new laptop. It will be like it was 6yrs ago. Still old.

Laptop won't be like a new laptop. It will be like it was 6yrs ago. Still old.

But working better than it ever did

You're ignoring the time taken to get the laptop to the professional and back from it.

You're ignoring the time taken to get the laptop to the professional and back from it.

WTF? You trolling now. What does that matter

WTF? You trolling now. What does that matter

I think its you whose trolling.

OK, that helps, but a slow machine is still going to be a struggle, did one recently, and it took a LONG time, simply to just install it all.

Moot anyway, if the OP doesn't want to go that route

OK, that helps, but a slow machine is still going to be a struggle, did one recently, and it took a LONG time, simply to just install it all.

Moot anyway, if the OP doesn't want to go that route

Here's a tip, you can install from usb key in much less time than taking from disk (if it supports it)

No offense taken..its a fact.
    I happen to have some spare time on my hands but I dont want to take up anyone's valuable time. If I/we can get this old machine going it would be great but its not the end of the world if I cant. There is a good feeling about keeping old things going if possible.

:D

If its quicker to re-install Vista than spend days (and months going by your other threads) trying to fix issues that you might never resolve. After 6yrs Vista is years overdue a re-install. Its like a human going without sleep for a week.

• Advertisement

Here's a tip, you can install from usb key in much less time than taking from disk (if it supports it)

The bottleneck isn't the source disk. Its the destination. The laptop HD.

You're also not factoring the time taken to set it from any other source. Other than going to a professional, which could take days as you'd have to leave it in and get it back, depending on their schedule.

Advertisement