Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it true dome closing

Options
  • 06-01-2014 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

ive heard from a couple of friends the dome is closed from tonight went in to liquidation, does anyone know if this is true

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It is true yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭hadepsx

they seemed to be doing well lately, what happened ?????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

jaysus

there go my plans to go bowling at some point this decade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

What...no, say it isn't so :(
    Some of the nicest food in Carlow, definitely with the breakfasts!

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

From their FB page
    https://www.facebook.com/dome.carlow.7
    Dome regrets to announce that this business is now closed for the foreseeable future. We would like to thank all of our very loyal customers and staff for their support over the past 10 years.

I really hope this is one of these upward only rent review contract breaking closures, back in business in 6 months. I really don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Confirmed on Sue Nunn now. Sad news.

Surely it may be taken over? Prime location and good business going I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Does this mean the Ivy Rooms are also gone?

Shame to see the Dome go. No where else like it in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

TaosHum wrote: »
    Does this mean the Ivy Rooms are also gone?

Shame to see the Dome go. No where else like it in town.

I don't see why they would be closing...? Separate business, separate premises. I'd assume it's still open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Mister Man wrote: »
    I don't see why they would be closing...? Separate business, separate premises. I'd assume it's still open.

Same owner though.

The Dome was always busy when I went in there, it's strange to see it closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

its in the Carlow people today, owner said he'd been struggling since 2009, and a liquidator was appointed before Christmas.

AFAIK the dome was owned by Jim and the Ivy rooms by his ex wife Marian so hopefully wont be affected

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Yeah the Ivy Rooms is owned by his ex-wife so it will stay open.
    Don't be alarmed if you drive by it and see it boarded up, this is because someone decided they'd like to rob the place and drove their car straight into the entrance!
    40 jobs in total lost now that the Dome is gone, 35 part time and 5 full time (According to the Carlow People) I'm related to one of those full time staff members and know a few more.
    I did my TY work experience in there and it always seemed busy, not as much the upstairs where I worked but I remember sometimes I would have to go over to the Ivy Rooms for them because they had no smaller amounts that €50 notes :P
    Nowhere to go bowling now, I feel sorry for everyone at the Delta Centre/St Laserian's as they've nowhere to bowl now.
    I live right across from it so I'll miss going over.
    Huge loss to Carlow, hoping the place can be bought and reopened soon as the location is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Gutted this has closed, was just beginning to get a bit of a family routine going there, game of bowling followed by the lads playing for an hour upstairs. Kids enjoyed it there. Ho-hum

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Something seems afoot . . . . https://www.facebook.com/dome.carlow.7
    What does the Talbot Tiger know?? Watch this space for exciting news coming soon!
    10492566_752604268117818_6644480369449155143_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dm2978

There's been activity there for a while now. A lot of people are on site today. There seems to be games/ machines being brought in at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It was taken over by the Talbot Hotel group a while back I heard that a month or two ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dm2978

It was taken over by the Talbot Hotel group a while back I heard that a month or two ago.

Yes sure that's true enough but the big question is when is it going to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Quiet Lurker

Talbot Hotel moved into Dome in past 2 days when they finally got the keys. Big tidy up on and they hope to reopen next week sometime I am told. Best of luck to them all

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭7foot ginger

Is it to open as a play centre again? Or as a gym or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Great news. Best of luck to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

its reopening Thursday

no food I believe in it

great news all the same :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

My kids will be delighted if it's reopening as a play centre.

Reopening on Thursday.

I live right across from the Dôme and over the past few days whenever I went to Dunne's the Talbot Tiger was just standing outside the Dôme building!

I wonder will people who worked there previously get their jobs back.

I done my work experience for school there so I might just hand in the CV :pac:

They are mad not doing food it was very popular before. It targets a market that the talbot doesn't!

Loads of people there today, seemed quite busy.

It looks pretty much the same from what I saw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

So have they stopped doing the food or what? The food there used to be pretty good

Owryan wrote: »
    So have they stopped doing the food or what? The food there used to be pretty good

Yup, food is gone. (For now.)

But the kids area and the games (Tobyco) are back.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I presume you'd be encouraged to eat in the Talbot itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I heard today that the Talbot reckoned they were loosing so much because it was gone itmade sense for them to buy it. Seems like a good match. could bring a N ice bit of business if it all in the same complex so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭hadepsx

while im glad its reopened, cos of local jobs and its different from the blue barn, im dissappointed in the pricing, of everything. its all costing alot more than when it was previously opened.thats from entry into kids play area, to having a tea or coffee.
    The food area is blocked off,all the equipment seems to be there so maybe they might reopen it. although as suggested they prob. want customers to eat in the talbot instead.
    They also have taken away the smaller kids section that was directly opp. the lift/stairs. shame.As younger kids loved that area.

• Advertisement

I would eat in the Dome quicker than in the talbot as it is more relaxed for kids and it's cheaper. I imagine a lot of others would be if the same opinion. Surely they would make more offering food in both. Instead of people leaving and them not making anything on food?!

Advertisement