Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killiney Beach Ironman Swim (2km and 4km) - Any Info?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

promethius wrote: »
    i wonder if it has anything to do with the name of the event? There's a large corporation who are very protective of their brand.
    That sounds quite likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There's a post in facebook, there having a meeting about it. They only had ten entrants out if 200 places.

I havn't swam in a while but this would be a good event to get me back in the water. Killiney beach is 2 mins from my door step

This is back on again according to their facebook page

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I hope those who expressed an interest enter it now, so it goes ahead.

Oryx wrote: »
    I hope those who expressed an interest enter it now, so it goes ahead.
    I only wanted it when I couldn't have it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Signed up today. Only the 2K swim but it will be good practice for a stab at 70.3 over the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Sounds like dem buck seals are smiling again too!

Many on here doing this? I'm doing the 4k swim. Any idea what part of the beach it starts at?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

All the necessary info is on their Facebook page.

Looking forward to it what with the decent weather forcast.

I cant do this, and would have liked to pass on the place, but it didn't work out.

Good luck to anyone doing it. Mind the seals!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Doing the 4. Screwed. :)

Doing the 4. Screwed. :)

You'll be grand. Remember........................

So, what did I miss? Was it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

I thought the event was well run. No complaints there. Decent crowd. Conditions were fair but got tougher.
    The first part of the second lap (2km to 2.9km) was hard for me. The current had picked up a fair but the back 900m were easy enough.

Keen to see my time. Second swim in a row where I've knocked the button on the watch and it has stopped the timer. Must start locking the watch in OW - happened in the Barrow too.

That's my first 4km'er. If you'd told me last year I would be swimming 4km I'd have laughed at you. Ridiculous distance to think about swimming..... it's much easier to swim it than think about swimming it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Tougher than I expected and tougher to swim in than it looked. Died a death on the second lap. The straight out was never ending. Must of took about 3 times as long than the way back in(longer? It felt 10 times as long!)

Second lap was tough the current had picked up, mixed with fatique ! Thought I'd never make it to that buoy.

Great event, so well organised and great atmosphere. Over a hundred doing the 4k, doue that and you'll have an easier swim :D

Think I swam about 6k, my inability to swim in a straight line is pretty shocking! :p

Seanie_H wrote: »
    The current had picked up a fair but the back 900m were easy enough.
    Second lap was tough the current had picked up, mixed with fatique ! Thought I'd never make it to that buoy.
    Yeah the current was quite strong, much easier coming back.
    Think I swam about 6k, my inability to swim in a straight line is pretty shocking! :p
    You weren't the only one! I was with a group of about 6 others, they were faster swimmers than me but we ended up meeting at every bouy as they seemed to veer off course regularly.

Nice event. Good fun, well organized. I finished in 1:15 for 4k, compared to 1:02 for 3k in Athy a fortnight ago

Nice relaxed event today. Good level of safety boat cover, good weather and the water wasn't too cold - can't ask for more :)

Enjoyed the swim. Found the second outward 900m (3rd km) to be tough, although when we turned to come backdown the shore we definitely had a following current which made the last km easy enough. Finished in 1.16, happy enough, but would have liked to go under 1.15. There were still a good few swimmers suffering in the 3rd km when I was sitting back up at the tent getting changed, at that stage the flow looked strong and I didn't envy them.

I did the 2km thought it was well ran. It was my first ever open water swim. I didn't expect the stampede over the first 500m people swimming over each other. My stomach muscles are in bits. I havn't swam much over the past 2 years looking forward to doing the next one.

Have the times being posted up, where so I get them? I've no idea what time I did it in, I got number 34 when I finished.

ted1 wrote: »
    I did the 2km thought it was well ran. It was my first ever open water swim. I didn't expect the stampede over the first 500m people swimming over each other. My stomach muscles are in bits. I havn't swam much over the past 2 years looking forward to doing the next one.

Have the times being posted up, where so I get them? I've no idea what time I did it in, I got number 34 when I finished.

They said results will be posted on their Facebook page later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Really enjoyed it. Had zero training done but was a savage morning so decided to enter. Registered no bother. Just tipped along at the start till the turn. Ended up vearing into and out of the same group the whole way. Current was strong at the turn and halfway along the back stretch. Tried to break away from the group at the last turn but totally ran out of steam and was caught easily. Ended up in a good position overall. Great event.

• Advertisement

It was my first ever open water swim. I didn't expect the stampede over the first 500m people swimming over each other.
    Welcome to open water swimming. Every race! :D

I didn't expect the stampede over the first 500m people swimming over each other.

Wait until you do a mass start with hundreds of swimmers rather than a few like today ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kate72

I really enjoyed it. I did the 4 km and finished in 1:36 which was alot slower than I had thought I would be, found the 2-2.9km stretch hard like everyone else.

have a lovely face burned on one side (was breathing mainly to the right) complete with one goggle mark. Well organised and marshalled event

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

2k results up on FB page now.

45min for the 2k. Happy enough with that as a starting point

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

firstly, I would like to thank the organisers for a very well run event. hopefully the venue will be considered for upcoming IM events in Dublin.

i echo all comments above the second lap of the longer race from 2-2.9km. It was a real test of strength. Congrats to all those who took part and finished.

Advertisement