Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need guidance regarding setting new goals

Options
  • 06-01-2014 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

I only started weight training in september (strong lifts 5x5), I started out with the barbell only and have been building up over time. Im male, 24 years old. 80kg and about 20% bodyfat. Its just a guess.

Currently my lifts are (5x5 unless stated)

Squat 100kg- am finding it very tough to raise it, my form was going to crap on heavier sets, it was becoming more like a good morning. I reset and now im back at 100kg again but cant seem to get past it. When at heavy weight my back does most the lifting.

Deadlift 110kg (1x5)- definitely have more in me, ill prob fail my first at about 120kg if I was to guess

Bench 52.5kg- I suck at it, no matter what I do I cant lift much. I work on my technique all the time but no progress. v depressing.

bent over row 67.5kg- havent missed any reps on this yet and have more in me. 75kg is when I think ill become stuck

Overhead press 42.5kg- extremely tough, I hate it.

I do some other exercises after the 5x5 stuff. mainly

pull/chin ups- can do 3 sets of 6-8. my plan is the get to 3x10 and then start weighted ones.

shrugs 3x8- usually at barbell row weight for convenience

close grip bench press 3x8 (10-15% less than bench press)

cable crunches 3x15 88kg at the moment, my core feels solid enough.

Ive cut out hyperextensins, skull crushers and bicep curls as workouts were getting too long and arms are getting more than enough on the main lifts. People tell me my arms have grown more than anything else.

I am currently trying to lose fat as ive deposits around stomach and love handles and would like them gone as not healthy to have too much fat there.

I am going to try and eat 2000cal per day with between 1 and 1.5g/kg of protein. I dont buy into the massive amounts of protein talked about by body body builders, I dont take protein shakes. I eat v low amts of fat for medical reasons and the rest carbs. Processed sugar is being eliminated, sweets, coke etc.

My goal is to get the a bf of 13-15% and then do a slow bulk ( 10% more than TDEE)

My question is how should I expect my lifts to increase over the next 6 months to a year as i've no experience and don't want to set unrealistic goals. I was thinking of going to 3x5 on my main lifts when losing fat, is this a good idea?

Sorry if this is a bit long winded. I wanted to give as much detail as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,348 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If you're on a big cut then you will be limited from gaining much in the way of strength, particularly if you are already four months into consistent training. Your main avenue to improving your lifts therefore will be through improved technique and movement. From your description of your squat, you probably aren't moving as efficiently as possible and fixing that will see you gain some traction in the lifts.

Regarding diet, 'not buying into massive amounts of protein talked by bodybuilders'; 'I eat v low amounts of fat'; 'and the rest carbs' is precisely what you don't want to do here when cutting and training. Fat is satiating and protein is essential to recovery after training. From your comments on stomach fat, I guess blood pressure / heart disease is a concern maybe with a family history?

Anyway:

- improve technique;
    - work on flexibility and mobility;
    - make protein and fat a high percentage of your daily food intake (you can still maintain a calorie deficit of course);
    - sleep lots and get plenty of rest between gym sessions;

would be the basics. Bear in mind you've made good progress on the lift numbers to date already and aren't in a terrible place regarding weight and body composition. Please do read the nutrition stickies however.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭fungie

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If you're on a big cut then you will be limited from gaining much in the way of strength, particularly if you are already four months into consistent training. Your main avenue to improving your lifts therefore will be through improved technique and movement. From your description of your squat, you probably aren't moving as efficiently as possible and fixing that will see you gain some traction in the lifts.

Regarding diet, 'not buying into massive amounts of protein talked by bodybuilders'; 'I eat v low amounts of fat'; 'and the rest carbs' is precisely what you don't want to do here when cutting and training. Fat is satiating and protein is essential to recovery after training. From your comments on stomach fat, I guess blood pressure / heart disease is a concern maybe with a family history?

Anyway:

- improve technique;
    - work on flexibility and mobility;
    - make protein and fat a high percentage of your daily food intake (you can still maintain a calorie deficit of course);
    - sleep lots and get plenty of rest between gym sessions;

would be the basics. Bear in mind you've made good progress on the lift numbers to date already and aren't in a terrible place regarding weight and body composition. Please do read the nutrition stickies however.

Thank you for your response. What kind of technique/flexibility movements would help with the squat and bench press? Would you have any tips for stopping the squat becoming back dominant? Can anybody recommend someone to help with technique? I wouldn't mind getting a few coaching lessons if it helps in the long run.

My diet is low in fat for a different health related reason but its not good for anybody to have too much abdominal fat. The IRFU website says that rugby players should get 1.4g/kg of protein and those guys are in great shape. I wish I could eat more protein its just that I dont eat red meat or pork and not much chicken. I mainly eat fish and prawns. I was eating 2300cals per day but wasnt noticing much difference so am going to try 2000 now. Ill try some sort of HIT or metcon training too to see if it helps.

On average or in you personal experience how much training would it take someone to go from never training to 1.5BW squat, deadlift and BW bench. Ive been going for about 3 months consistently.

Advertisement