Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BHP Recruitment

• 06-01-2014 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Slightly OT, but Belfast Harbour Police will start recruiting on the 6th of January. See here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Bob Law

Sweet. Anyone know what the pay is like for the Harbour lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

25k start if I remember right.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Lyn1984

What's the process like is it same as psni recruitment ect ist ac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

There's a Guidance for Applicants bit on the application website.

Bit different than the PSNI's process. Need a full clean drivers license, also.

Cheers chum, can't access the recruitment page due to work blocking it.

25k not a bad starting at all, that's a solid wage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

The starting pay is just over 25k and goes up to about 33k after 8 years. This is compared with the PSNI which starts at 27k and goes up to 36k for a top-rate Constable (after 10 years). However, there is much less of a threat to the BHP and they are much, much quieter.

Raised it there with my cop pal and he reckons himself and a few others will be applying for it.

Bob Law wrote: »
    Raised it there with my cop pal and he reckons himself and a few others will be applying for it.

Do you mean serving PSNI officers applying for it? I've never heard of that, but I'd imagine BHP would bite their arms off considering they wouldn't need to pay for the G'ville program for any ex-PSNI officers. I'd consider it myself, but the pension at BHP is terrible.

Yup, won't go into details as it's their business but they're not happy at all.

Yup, won't go into details as it's their business but they're not happy at all.

Yes, that really doesn't surprise me!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

From a contact within, this job can be quite mundane at times. Your daily routine is very much that. A routine. If you're looking for an opportunity to experience the fullness of policing and its associated duties, then this is not for you.

However, if you are in the job and you're unlucky enough to have an arsehole Sgt., and you're looking for a quick and easy out, then get ready to be in the business end of a lariat should you wish to apply!

Shield wrote: »
    From a contact within, this job can be quite mundane at times. Your daily routine is very much that. A routine. If you're looking for an opportunity to experience the fullness of policing and its associated duties, then this is not for you.

However, if you are in the job and you're unlucky enough to have an arsehole Sgt., and you're looking for a quick and easy out, then get ready to be in the business end of a lariat should you wish to apply!

Think he hates the station he's in that much he'd do anything to get out. Routine would suit him to the ground as well tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

BHP seem to take on former service members and former police officers, my uncle took patten in 2001 and joined the BHP in 2002, still had and have to go though Garnerville though, even if they have all the training, also the last campaign was in 08 and apparently took on a few constables all were early 20's with no policing background, so I was told that's what they have been looking at as the average age for a long time was 40 or so, there is only around 30 odd constables and a CID unit with about 7 or so detectives, they literally take on a handful at a time, however again was told that the harbour estate is a lot busier and has grown by 30 percent in 8 years in size and population due to the residents now living there so was told don't be surprised if they took on more than the norm, also if you leave within something like 3 years of service or whatever you have to repay your police training which amounts to several thousand pounds, plus you can't transfer into the psni you have to apply the same way everyone else does, though your pay point in increments will be met so if you have 8 years service under your belt from what I've been told you will meet that in the PSNI rather than starting on the entry level salary, can't transfer pension over unfortunately unlike other services like the prison service etc, so you would be starting all over again.

No allowances in the BHP I.e. Ni transitional allowance, and you can be targeted, recently a harbour police mans details were found in a dissident republicans car including license registration and home address etc, you can google it, it was on the news not so long ago, harbour police have faced similar threats not to the extent as the psni do but still face threats, that's why they are issued a ppw, information overload but I literally asked my uncle about all these questions and thought I would pass on the information, and it is a police job that is 99 percent paperwork as you learn how to search boats etc which involves pure paperwork lol, not exactly exciting I've been told but still a job for life and decent pay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

Anyone know how long their training is?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jb12345

This sounds interesting... Being such a small section anyone know the number of positions? I imagine it's going to be a similar situation to this campaign with lots of applications for few positions.

There's 3 positions up for grabs. The training is largely the same as the PSNI; you'll find yourself in a G'ville 'squad', only you'll wear the (much smarter, in my opinion) Harbour Police uniform.

Oh very good. Any his many applicants do they usually get?
    Are you HP? Or where is that info from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

3 positions flip? lol I think most of their applications come from former or retired police officers/service men/women, it has been barely advertised, I wouldn't be surprised if a few hundred will apply, it's good pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Got my form in at 11pm last night. Many other boardies apply?

They seem to take very little on per campaign but if you're not in and all that.

As it's been said the harbour is a much bigger, and ever expanding place, so fingers crossed they take a few more on.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭letsdoit2013

Yea got my form in, wasn't very well advertised so hoping thats a bonus for us bud

• Advertisement

Yep got mine in on Sunday too. So from Friday I think they may send the character assessment to complete online?

I thought the question on influencing people was badly worded.

Only people who pass the application short listing will get the character assessments I would think. Will they get through the applications by Friday? Seems very quick.

Well according to their recruitment time line from Friday until the following there will be the online questionnaire so if they are sticking to that then I'd say so.

Fair enough. Let's see what Friday brings.

I was going to apply but after consideration, the PSNI is where I want to be. Best of luck to you all!

Thanks Bob

Good luck guys, hope we get through the initial application stage

I was going to apply but after consideration, the PSNI is where I want to be. Best of luck to you all!

Trust me the police is where I want to be, but these are the cards I've been dealt.

Ps - if people have to pay back costs of training if they leave before three years service, it's something the PSNI need to think about doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Gee-22 wrote: »
    Trust me the police is where I want to be, but these are the cards I've been dealt.

Ps - if people have to pay back costs of training if they leave before three years service, it's something the PSNI need to think about doing.

Could not agree more Gee. Hope you are well!

I was going to apply but in the end I did not. I sincerely wish you all the best with it!

wanadrum wrote: »
    Could not agree more Gee. Hope you are well!

I was going to apply but in the end I did not. I sincerely wish you all the best with it!

Hey, I'm good thanks. How are you getting on?

• Advertisement

Jb12345 wrote: »
    Are you HP? Or where is that info from.

No I'm not in the Harbour Police. Info came from someone who is.

Hey, I'm good thanks. How are you getting on?

Going rightly gee, passed AC now for psni, glad to get that email yesterday after starting the BHP application and then deciding not to submit it.

wanadrum wrote: »
    Going rightly gee, passed AC now for psni, glad to get that email yesterday after starting the BHP application and then deciding not to submit it.

Good work. What's next PCA?

Good work. What's next PCA?

Vetting and Pca - trying not to get excited!

Received an email today to say the timetable has been revised due to high volume of applications.

They will inform us next Tuesday if we are short listed.

Received an email today to say the timetable has been revised due to high volume of applications.

They will inform us next Tuesday if we are short listed.

Same here so fingers crossed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sharan

Yep got same email!

Dear John.

Same here bud :(

Dear John.

Sorry to hear that mate.

Same here :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Sorry to hear that folks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sharan

I give up..dear John.. Had enough no more

Dear John for me too. Bit shocked tbh lol Aw well.

Jb12345 wrote: »
    Dear John for me too. Bit shocked tbh lol Aw well.

I think BHP tend to be looking for certain experience.

Unlucky guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Sorry to hear that guys. I'm through to next bit is anyone else through?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 coffeerequired

I got through and completed the online questionnaire yesterday. Have you any idea what the next stage is?

I got through and completed the online questionnaire yesterday. Have you any idea what the next stage is?

Good to hear! I have the questionnaire completed as well but as far as the rest of the process goes I don't know at all

Just got my email through to next stage. Anyone else going through the process?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 coffeerequired

yeah got the email. Had a look at the practice tests - quite tight on time!

yeah got the email. Had a look at the practice tests - quite tight on time!

I haven't looked at the stuff yet trying not to get my hopes up lol I wonder how many people are still in the running at this stage?

• Advertisement
Advertisement