Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf/bull wall...shocking pollution

Options
  • 06-01-2014 1:02am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

Having a walk along bull island and clontarf promenade today. It seems the recent high winds and tides have carried in hundreds if thousands of plastic items from bottles to biros. The clontarf promenade is particularly badly affected and it looks like the aftermath of an open air concert. To judge by the apathy of the people walking their dogs it seems to be a job they are quite happy to leave to the council to clean up despite it being a public area frequented by hundreds of people. Im originally from the area and back in the 1970's I remember something similar occurring but hundreds of locals turned up to help with the clean up...would it be too much to expect a few people to grab some bags,don some gloves and do something for themselves for a change? Zero community spirit and no doubt will be emailing the council to hurry up and remove the debris.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

chopper6 wrote: »
    Having a walk along bull island and clontarf promenade today. It seems the recent high winds and tides have carried in hundreds if thousands of plastic items from bottles to biros. The clontarf promenade is particularly badly affected and it looks like the aftermath of an open air concert. To judge by the apathy of the people walking their dogs it seems to be a job they are quite happy to leave to the council to clean up despite it being a public area frequented by hundreds of people. Im originally from the area and back in the 1970's I remember something similar occurring but hundreds of locals turned up to help with the clean up...would it be too much to expect a few people to grab some bags,don some gloves and do something for themselves for a change? Zero community spirit and no doubt will be emailing the council to hurry up and remove the debris.

Lol why don't you lead by example ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Why didn't you get some bags and don some gloves and start off and maybe people would have joined in??
    All messing aside though, I think they are waiting until Tuesday to start because there is supposed to be a swell again tonight and tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

That and you pay enough taxes for the Corpo to get up off their behinds and clean the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭teddansonswig

dollymounts a mess to! quick google and i found Bull Island Action Group, do a litter pick up once a month. would be great to get a good crowd out after this storm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

dollymounts a mess to! quick google and i found Bull Island Action Group, do a litter pick up once a month. would be great to get a good crowd out after this storm

when will that be?, i suppose they could have gotten staff out during the week but probably busy, though it's kinda good opportunity to pick up litter that would be harder to find any other time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

billie1b wrote: »
    All messing aside though, I think they are waiting until Tuesday to start because there is supposed to be a swell again tonight and tomorrow

This. No point doing a cleanup now, only for lots more to be dumped by the tide / waves over the next days or so.
    Also, the corpo guys working down there are wearing heavy duty gear, full knowing the situation is very unsanitary. I doubt they'll want any members of the public near it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

bombidol wrote: »
    That and you pay enough taxes for the Corpo to get up off their behinds and clean the area.

Yeah...no doubt they've been sitting around playing cards and eating takeaways throughout all this bad weather :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭str|ct9

I saw that yesterday too. Think the flood water (it looked to be pretty bad around there with the sandbags) caused a lot of it. My guess is that it knocked the rubbish out of the bins along the front.

Its usually kept in decent order along there. I'd say they're waiting until the bad weather abates before starting a cleanup job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Also, the corpo guys working down there are wearing heavy duty gear, full knowing the situation is very unsanitary. I doubt they'll want any members of the public near it.

This is the important bit. It's not the rubbish you can see that should be the main concern, it's tackling the pollution sources from overflowing storm drains and sewerage that you can't see which should be the priority.

Clontarf Promenade Clean Up - Sat.10:30am http://ow.ly/ss86x . Text 0862482863 or just turn up. Clontarf Promenade Clean Up - Sat.10:30am http://ow.ly/ss86x . Text 0862482863 or just turn up.

• Advertisement

oh look at this photo load of rubbish

http://www.clontarf.ie/news/adopt-a-street-love-clontarf-promenade-clean-up

and the photos clontarfra is putting up today https://twitter.com/clontarfRA quite clean

the messy photo was taken is further down, but did the council get to that before them

so lots of photos of politicians, none of dcc staff

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

I heard all the talk about the wall being built and I thought crazy putting that up.

Also I thought does the council or the government know something we do not know about the weather.

But after seeing the recent weather I do think they should put it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Zero community spirit

That isn't something you can accuse Clontarf residents of, to be fair. It has a fairly active residents' association and business community. The weekend following the bad weather it was all sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Brilliant work by the residents there. Yes, of course councils and council workers should have work to do and be involved but in extraordinary circumstances like that it's good to see people showing some pride in their community and environment and getting out there to clean up. It's very disheartening to see people leaving everything up to local Government as if merely paying taxes is enough to absolve you of any further or extra contribution to the community.

I saw that one of the councillors distributed over 800 leaflets and yet the turnout there was low. Delighted to see positive community action from those that did attend, disappointed to see the numbers so low though.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Brilliant work by the residents there. Yes, of course councils and council workers should have work to do and be involved but in extraordinary circumstances like that it's good to see people showing some pride in their community and environment and getting out there to clean up. It's very disheartening to see people leaving everything up to local Government as if merely paying taxes is enough to absolve you of any further or extra contribution to the community.

I saw that one of the councillors distributed over 800 leaflets and yet the turnout there was low. Delighted to see positive community action from those that did attend, disappointed to see the numbers so low though.

800 leaflets! and not a hint of self promotion

800 leaflets! and not a hint of self promotion

Is that all you took from my post?

A fine example of the sort of problem we have in Irish communities throughout the country. "Look at that self-promtin' gobdaw, if he tinks I'm gettin' out to do anyting he can f**k right off! I'm not helpin' him get his beak in the papers" :rolleyes:

Of course it's self-promotion but if you can't see past that and see that self-promotion of otherwise, it's still an important community effort then that speaks volumes about you. EDIT: I don't mean you in particular lostexpectation, I mean 'you' as in the person who reads a leaflet like that and has those sort of thoughts.

I don't care if he jumped on a bandwagon that was already rolling, I don't even know what party he belongs to or what affiliations he has and he wouldn't get my vote just for something like this. The fact remains that he distributed 800 leaflets and there were multiple social media posts about the event as well as word of mouth and yet the turnout was lower than I would have expected.

The point I was trying to make was that unfortunately, it seems to be only the few who care about their community. Others just seem to live there and think that someone else should take care of all of the problems there, never themselves...

800 leaflets did it take longer to deliver the leaflets then to clean the place up

ok i meant add to this, were these leaflets to do with the 'adopt a street campaign', I guess clontarf promenade is everyones street.. but the leaflets weren't just asking people to clean up last saturday

800 leaflets did it take longer to deliver the leaflets then to clean the place up

Cynicism...how life affirming and positive. <- that there was sarcasm, I really think it's very sad and unhealthy.

Tell me, if it was a local resident with no political affiliation or aspirations who printed off and delivered the 800 leaflets and then showed up and did the work would you still be so cynical about their intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

"Superstorm Christine was busy last week and brought quite a lot of floatsome and litter ashore...".

I wouldn't mind cleaning up flotsam, but I draw the line at floatsome! :pac:

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
Advertisement