Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inverter - RCBO - Switch Mode

Options
  • 06-01-2014 2:28am

I'm wondering the best way to protect against earth leakage and over-current for an isolated earthed 1kW inverter?
    Would a RCBO be suitable?

If the inverter is running a switch mode power supply for a laptop would the EMI/RFI filtering linked to the AC earth cause a 30mA RCBO to trip?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Why not connect the laptop charger to a spur outlet and then the RCBO (or RCD) will not be required?

An existing spur from the inverter will give me the same problem further downstream. Unless you are suggesting the current spike will be lost as heat dissipation I'm not sure how this would help. This is for a mobile application.

The Earth potential difference is provided by an earth spike. Not always a DB.
    The inverter otherwise is an unearthed "generator".

What I'm trying to figure out is what's the best way to protect against earth leakage in a circuit similar to this (ignore the galvanic isolator);
    ac_system_14.gif

I'm thinking of exchanging an existing RCD for an RCBO.

It is required to run SMPS (this is slightly academic as I actually use a DC boost regulator but I'm still curious as to the best approach).

If an RCBO is unsuitable what would you recommend?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

An existing spur from the inverter will give me the same problem further downstream. Unless you are suggesting the current spike will be lost as heat dissipation I'm not sure how this would help. This is for a mobile application.

I am suggesting that you do not install an RCD (or RCBO) at all.
    Why do you want to install one?

The inverter can be permanently connected -Fixed appliance so no requirement for a residual current device.

The laptop charger can be connected to a spur (fed from the inverter) -Fixed appliance so no requirement for a residual current device.

The laptop is supplied by the charger <50V so no requirement for a residual current device.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

I'm wondering the best way to protect against earth leakage and over-current for an isolated earthed 1kW inverter?
    Would a RCBO be suitable?

If the inverter is running a switch mode power supply for a laptop would the EMI/RFI filtering linked to the AC earth cause a 30mA RCBO to trip?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88300793

1. earth and over current protection are built in to most inverters.
    2. emi/rfi filtering in normal operation should not trip a 30ma trip

now the drawing you have posted is for a boat with with a marine inverter be aware that boat and camper vans are not wired the same 'and that not all inverters are the same either(pure sine 3/4 sine choped wave )

most good quality sine wave inverters will run you laptop without adding and filters or rcds

lots of guys on the camper scene use a 12v feed straight from the vans battery to run laptops rather than use a inverter
    (the inverter can kill a battery in a few hours van battery will run a laptop for days)

I'm highly dubious there's much in the way of earth fault protection in my super-cheapo chineese mod. square wave inverter.
    There is over-current, over-temp and fuses.
    There's no DC fuse which I had to install. A 600W inverter @12volt & 80% efficient = 70A fuse...that's a bittov an oversight if you ask me.

Certainly boats and campers are wired differently as there's no building regs and a lot of self builds.

That's not my diagram I pulled it from elsewhere as it's fairly similar to how I would do it.
    The relay allows you to double functionality on sockets and wiring which keeps things fairly clean, it also isolates the heavy loads as mains only appliances.

What occurs to me is that a steel hulled boat or a camper is effectively a single insulated appliance resting on an insulator.
    The laptop is not an issue it's the transients induced from the laptop power I am wondering about. What got me wondering was why a laptop power brick being double insulated has a wired earth until I learned the filtering is built in.
    Although having thought about it, the transients from the charging system are likely to be much more substantial. Given that the AC Earth is bonded to the same metalwork as the DC Ground.

When thinking in terms that an inverter runs a 1000w ring main with no path to ground I am inclined to think it would be prudent to have a provision for this.

A DC power supply will run a car battery down about ~20% slower than an inverter, days would be quite ambitious. Killing a battery kills batteries whistling.gif.

Is there another way I could be missing?

• Advertisement

I think you are over complicating things.

Why do you think a laptop charger will trip a 30mA RCD or RCBO? Most homes don't have an issue with this and they frequently have laptop chargers.

Why do you feel it is necessary to install an RCD or RCBO if no mains volatge plug socket arrangements are used?

Maybe I'm not explaining this very well, also I've no formal training so please forgive me for missing the obvious.

The inverter can run an AC ring main from a DC source. Should the shell of the vehicle not have protection from the inverter to the outside world given that without it it would retain the same potential difference as the vehicle in the event of a failure.
    If you were to use a petrol generator instead of an inverter then surely you would insist on this?

RE: laptop power....(or more importantly switch mode devices) because the laptop power sends transient current down the earth during normal operating conditions. So I'm guessing they're less than 30mA @ 240v + cable losses?

Maybe I'm not explaining this very well, also I've no formal training so please forgive me for missing the obvious.

Understood.
    The inverter can run an AC ring main from a DC source.

Do you need an inverter at all?
    You have a DC supply and you want to power a DC load.
    Perhaps you could use one of these:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/UNIVERSAL-LAPTOP-CAR-CHARGER-FOR-SONY-DELL-ACER-IBM-HP-/160565348477

Or these:
    http://pcservices.ie/index.php/chargers/hantol-universal-laptop-charger-90w-car-dc-12volt-blue.html

Then you don't even need to use mains voltage.

What is the supply voltage?
    What voltage does the laptop operate at?
    Should the shell of the vehicle not have protection from the inverter to the outside world given that without it it would retain the same potential difference as the vehicle in the event of a failure.

I do not understand your question.
    Where would the potential difference be, between what 2 points?
    What type of failure?

What is the vehicle, is it a camper, a boat a car?
    Are you grounding the frame of the vehicle?
    Is the laptop the only load you have?
    Where are you getting the DC power supply from, batteries?

Many loads in domestic and industrial installations are not protected by RCDs or RCBOs such as cookers, lights, motors and veritable speed drives (which are a type of inverter)
    If you were to use a petrol generator instead of an inverter then surely you would insist on this?

Generators are frequently used to supply loads that are not protected by an RCD.
    I would install an RCD downstream of a generator on circuits that are supplying socket outlets or an immersion, but not a fixed load such as a laptop. The laptop is double insulated anyway.

RE: laptop power....(or more importantly switch mode devices) because the laptop power sends transient current down the earth during normal operating conditions. So I'm guessing they're less than 30mA @ 240v + cable losses?

If a laptop charger was somehow sending 30mA down the earth it would not be possible to use it in any domestic installation that complies with current regulations as it would trip the RCD. The best thing to do with a faulty charger such as this is to replace it. Does that answer your question?

2011 wrote: »
    Do you need an inverter at all?

Nope! Hate the buggers.
    Rather looking at it than for it though. Can't seem to find a DC angle grinder :D.

I did mention earlier this was an academic question.

What is the supply voltage?
    What voltage does the laptop operate at?

12V
    Please forget about the laptop it was just an example of a switch mode power supply load.
    I would like to run any SMPS I want.
    The laptop is 19v and is happily running on a DC power regulator as I type this.

I do not understand your question.
    Where would the potential difference be, between what 2 points?
    What type of failure?

EG.
    Say the movement from driving saws through the insulation of a conductor. Later the inverter is fired up, the vehicle is now live sitting on rubber tyres so nothing trips everyone inside is fine, nobody notices.

An earthed outside passer-by touches the van and gets a bang.

What is the vehicle, is it a camper, a boat a car?
    Are you grounding the frame of the vehicle?
    Is the laptop the only load you have?
    Where are you getting the DC power supply from, batteries?

Camper.
    Grounding (earthing) for isolated inverter use via an earth rod is what I'm currently seeking advice on. [Edit: this is to extend earthing from the frame of the vehicle]
    Laptop, lights, sound, tools, dry cell devices, .....all mod cons. bar electric heat, and cooking.
    Solar PV, alternator, batteries, mains and expanding :pac:.

Many loads in domestic and industrial installations are not protected by RCDs or RCBOs such as cookers, lights, motors and veritable speed drives (which are a type of inverter)

It's not the loads that concern me it's the people.
    However I do not want loads operating under normal conditions interfering with the people protection.
    Generators are frequently used to supply loads that are not protected by an RCD.
    I would install an RCD downstream of a generator on circuits that are supplying socket outlets...

Indeed ;)

It might help to mention the inverter is already hard-wired to several socket outlets. Sorry if that was vague it's indicated in the wiring diagram.

• Advertisement

Can't seem to find a DC angle grinder :D.

Really?
    I have one of these:
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_30691-70-DC411B_0__?productId=3191267

:D

It might help to mention the inverter is already hard-wired to several socket outlets. Sorry if that was vague it's indicated in the wiring diagram.

Oh, ok.
    I assumed that these should be ignored as you said it was not your diagram.

If you wired it as shown in this block cable diagram it will work and the socket outlets will be protected by an RCD:

Boat.jpg

Cwaor! Nice.
    My batteries will last longer though :p

Say the movement from driving saws through the insulation of a conductor. Later the inverter is fired up, the vehicle is now live sitting on rubber tyres so nothing trips everyone inside is fine, nobody notices

A passer-by would have to touch the live and the neutral on the the output of the inverter to get a shock. Unless the circuit is completed it will not be possible to get a shock.
    An earthed outside passer-by touches the van and gets a bang

The passer-by may be "earthed" but the output of the inverter is not.
    Grounding for isolated inverter use via an earth rod is what I'm currently seeking advice

Think of this as a stand alone system like a car or a boat, you will not require an earth rod.
    If the camper is connected to the mains via a socket outlet (as per my diagram) then the fixed installation will have its own earth rod.
    However I do not want loads operating under normal conditions interfering with the people protection.

The inverter will be out of circuit when the camper is connected to mains, so it will not cause a problem. When it is in circuit the RCDs will be down stream of the inverter so any leakage current from the inverter should not be an issue.

A passer-by would have to touch the live and the neutral on the the output of the inverter to get a shock. Unless the circuit is completed it will not be possible to get a shock.

The passer-by may be "earthed" but the output of the inverter is not.

So a passer-by touching a bare metal panel of a vehicle conducting 240V AC from an inverter short and 0V planet earth is not completing a circuit?
    Think of this as a stand alone system like a car or a boat, you will not require an earth rod.

Does the rod not provide the needed path to ground to enable the RCD imbalance detection?
    When it is in circuit the RCDs will be down stream of the inverter so any leakage current from the inverter should not be an issue.

:D It's hard to put an RCD upstream of an inverter.

So a passer-by touching a bare metal panel of a vehicle conducting 240V AC from an inverter short and 0V planet earth is not completing a circuit?

OK, so the panel is at 240V right?
    That is 240V with respect to the neutral on the output of the inverter.
    So the passer-by by touching the metal is not completing the circuit, see the "not shocked person" in these diagrams:

00060.png

00057.png
    Does the rod not provide the needed path to ground to enable the RCD imbalance detection?

An RCD measures the current that flows down the phase conductor (live) and compares it to the current returning on the neutral conductor. When the circuit is functioning correctly these currents are equal. If there is a difference of > 30mA then the RCD will trip.
    :D It's hard to put an RCD upstream of an inverter.

No, it is easy to install an RCD upstream of an inverter.

How would you put an RCD on the DC side of the inverter? I thought they relied on being AC

You are correct, in that case (DC supply) an RCD would not work.

However many inverters have AC upstream & downstream such as a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) or a VSD (Variable Speed Drive).
    I have a few DC MCB's alright but I suspected them to be fancified bi-metal strips.

Yes, they work on the bimetal for overload and the magnetic properties of electricity for short circuit protection.

What I would not be so sure about is earthing.
    I know you would not require an earth rod.
    I would think that the earth pins in the 230V socket outlets should be connected to the earth connection on the output of the inverter.
    However I would expect the frame of a camper van to be connected to the negative terminal of the 12V battery system.
    I would be concerned that connecting the neutral of the inverter to the negative of the 12V battery may cause issues (it would be neutralised).
    Perhaps the output of the inverter is centre tapped? I am not sure, you should get some professional advice on this.
    Auto electrics are not my forte.

tehehe you busted my post deletion I was doubting myself...not a bad thing though had a root in the electrical closet and found I had an MCB on the main AC in where I thought I bought an RCD.

Single insulated DC inverters have an earthing point on the casing for external earthing.

Yeah ideally you wouldn't bond the DC ground and the AC earth to the same point. It causes all sorts of problems (including mental ones :) ), galvanic corrosion can be a big resultant issue.
    Realistically you sacrifice the potential risk to batteries and electronics for the safety of people and do what you can with diodes, anodes, trips and fuses.

Earthing can be achieved easily through the mains connection but that's not always available.

So far this is the best info I've found on the subject. Actually re-reading over it verifies what you said earlier, so thanks.

(it would be neutralised).
    hysteria.gif

Yeah I hear Americans have that problem quite a lot. :rolleyes:

Advertisement