Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I buy in Ballinhassig?

Options
  • 06-01-2014 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

We (2A,3C) are returning to Ireland to live and are considering moving to the Ballinhassig area. Can anyone offer advice on what the area is like in terms of amenities and most importantly, schools? My husband intends commuting to work in Carrigaline, how long is this likely to take and what is the condition of the road? Many thanks for your input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

No idea about secondary schools but there is a good primary school there. Ballinhassig is a lovely area, quite a nice community feel, shop, pub, GAA pitches, community centre. Great location, 15 minutes from Cork, 15 minutes from Carrigaline (on goodish roads), 15 minutes from Kinsale. I'd be very happy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

The communte isn't too bad to Carrigaline, would think 20mins on the back road which brings you to where the Carrigaline Court is, it would be the traffic that side that would delay.. Ballinhassig is a nice area I didn't live there myself but my brother did and they seemed to love it. Spot lots of time there in the half way and going to the vintage shows up the road from it.. Great area for kids to explore if they like the outdoors..If you like the kinda halfway between rural and not rural life I would go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rebelden

What about renting in the area first?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 okeeffek

rebelden wrote: »
    What about renting in the area first?
    I don't want to move schools again. I'm unimpressed by the lack of choice in the area: 2 national schools both RC but what can you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I grew up in Ballinhassig and even though I'm probably biased it's a nice quiet country area with great access to urban areas.

There are two national schools (Goggin's Hill & Ballyheada) both next to the churches, and no school in any of the villages. Ballinhassig village has a decent shop, post office, pubs (Kirby's does decent grub), Parish Hall, GAA grounds and the local creamery. The Half-Way village is just residential. Secondary schools is either Cork or Bandon, with some going to Kinsale. Other nearby villages are Ballygarvin & Crossbarry.

It's about a 10 to 15 minute drive to Bishopstown, the Airport, Carragaline & Kinsale. It's about 20 to 25 minutes to Ringaskiddy, Bandon & Douglas so is very central. It was a 15 to 18 minute journey from the Half Way to Ringaskiddy in the morning and about the same home in the evening when I worked in Ringaskiddy.

Ballinhassig is a very large parish (technically the parish of Ballinhassig/Ballygarvin starts half way down the runway in Cork Airport and finishes outside Innishannon) and some areas can be a little bit "up a road - back a road - up a road"

• Advertisement
Advertisement