Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Irish PhD scholarships (humanities)

Options
  • 06-01-2014 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Because the IRC postgraduate deadline is fast approaching and is so competitive, I'm thinking of applying to do a PhD abroad as well. I have pretty much ruled out subject-specific scholarships (film & media), but I'd imagine there are broader humanities schemes available.

What humanities PhD scholarships are you aware of in the UK and Europe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭lajoie

I only know about scholarships for the USA, but a lot of European universities have FAR cheaper fees for postgrad than we do here, so they could be worth looking at even without funding?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Put those research skills to good use and google them, perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

In the UK, there is AHRC funding - the equivalent of the IRC. However, it is also very very competitive, particularly the 'open' competition; you may find an AHRC studentship tied to a particular project at a particular university that fits your research interests, and these tend to be less competitive.

Otherwise, many UK universities offer their own scholarships, for which you'll need to trawl their websites. I don't know much about European schemes, sorry.

Advertisement